• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stolen antique guns, some ‘priceless,’ will return to Massachusetts after long federal probe

SFC13557

NES Member
Wow, still no answer on who stole the firearms.

SPRINGFIELD — More than five decades ago, staff at the Springfield Armory Museum walked in to discover someone had pried open a display case and taken a rare Model 1842 percussion cap pistol.

On that same day — June 22, 1971 — the Museum of Connecticut History in Hartford was also hit: A thief or thieves made off with a Colt Whitneyville Walker revolver, an early design of gunmaker Samuel Colt.

Those guns are among 50 antique firearms finally coming home."

Michael Kintner Corbett had some and knew they were stolen. To stay out of prison he fingered the who, what, where and why of everyone else. I'm sure charges for those individuals will be forthcoming.

Yes, the story said he was not the thief. Now they need to solve the Gardner Museum Heist and recover the paintings.
When I was attending college in Boston (mid 70’s) I lived right next to the Gardner Museum. I had a ground floor apartment and could look out my window and into the museum. Just an alleyway between us.

The last week of school someone broke into my apartment through that window and stole my stereo. The museum had bars on the windows, my apartment didn’t.

But the museum had millions of dollars worth of artwork. I had a $1000 stereo and a mattress on the floor.

When I was attending college in Boston (mid 70’s) I lived right next to the Gardner Museum. I had a ground floor apartment and could look out my window and into the museum. Just an alleyway between us.

The last week of school someone broke into my apartment through that window and stole my stereo. The museum had bars on the windows, my apartment didn’t.

But the museum had millions of dollars worth of artwork. I had a $1000 stereo and a mattress on the floor.
Yup, back in the 70's Boston was "affordable", I knew guys who went to BU, BC, Northeastern who lived in 2-3 bedroom apartments on Comm Ave, Beacon St, in the 70's which are worth Millions today as condo's. We used to crash on their couches, floors after a night in Kenmore Sq.
The Gardner Museum theft still bugs/fascinates me because none of the art work had been recovered and no one arrested. Either these guys were the greatest art thieves in history or the luckiest MFers ever.

Yup, back in the 70's Boston was "affordable", I knew guys who went to BU, BC, Northeastern who lived in 2-3 bedroom apartments on Comm Ave, Beacon St, in the 70's which are worth Millions today as condo's. We used to crash on their couches, floors after a night in Kenmore Sq.
The Gardner Museum theft still bugs/fascinates me because none of the art work had been recovered and no one arrested. Either these guys were the greatest art thieves in history or the luckiest MFers ever.
Back in those days the Gardner Museum was either free admission or dirt cheap, I don’t remember which. But it had to be one or the other because I was a broke college kid and use to go in and look at the artwork in awe.

That theft still bugs/fascinates me also. There are theories Bulger and the mob pulled it off but who knows???

Stolen one of a kind artwork is pointless and selfish. What do you do with it? Keep it in a collection and never show it to anyone else? Those paintings are somewhere and it is amazing that no one has rolled over.

But I guess it is not as pointless and selfless as this………..
Climate protesters hold a demonstration as they throw cans of tomato soup at Vincent van Gogh's Sunflowers

After throwing cans of soup on Vincent van Gogh's "Sunflowers," two climate activists glued their hands to the wall, and one called for the end of fossil fuel production.

Back in those days the Gardner Museum was either free admission or dirt cheap, I don’t remember which. But it had to be one or the other because I was a broke college kid and use to go in and look at the artwork in awe.

That theft still bugs/fascinates me also. There are theories Bulger and the mob pulled it off but who knows???

Stolen one of a kind artwork is pointless and selfish. What do you do with it? Keep it in a collection and never show it to anyone else? Those paintings are somewhere and it is amazing that no one has rolled over.

Climate protesters hold a demonstration as they throw cans of tomato soup at Vincent van Gogh's Sunflowers's Sunflowers

After throwing cans of soup on Vincent van Gogh's "Sunflowers," two climate activists glued their hands to the wall, and one called for the end of fossil fuel production.

Should send them to do research in the Arctic, specifically up close research on polar bear feeding habits.

I finished grad school in 1980. I had an apartment in Somerville on the NW corner of the top floor of a 5 story building on the north side on a hill. View at night was beautiful. I got a job in SE Mass and was a few weeks from moving out when I got the notice the building was going condo. I was glad it hadn't happened sooner, because I couldn't believe anyone would be stupid enough to pay $35k for it. :rolleyes:

Climate protesters hold a demonstration as they throw cans of tomato soup at Vincent van Gogh's Sunflowers's Sunflowers

Brandon listened. He blocked all petro related business practices from over 16 million acres. Keel heem.

I finished grad school in 1980. I had an apartment in Somerville on the NW corner of the top floor of a 5 story building on the north side on a hill. View at night was beautiful. I got a job in SE Mass and was a few weeks from moving out when I got the notice the building was going condo. I was glad it hadn't happened sooner, because I couldn't believe anyone would be stupid enough to pay $35k for it. :rolleyes:
Yup, we were very shortsighted.

Robert Gentile breaks his silence about Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum heist​

MANCHESTER, Conn. —
Nearly 31 years after the largest art heist in history, a reputed New England mobster has broken his silence about the case.

Robert Gentile, 87, is now believed to be the last surviving person of interest in the theft of 13 pieces of art stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.

"They can say what they want, I don't care," he told WTNH in a new interview. "It doesn't bother me."

On March 18, 1990, two men disguised as police officers gained entrance to the museum in Boston by telling the security guard at the watch desk that they were responding to a report of a disturbance.

Against museum policy, the guard allowed the men into the museum. The thieves handcuffed the museum's two guards on duty and put them in separate areas of the museum's basement.

The burglars stole more than $500 million worth of masterpieces, including works by Rembrandt, Manet and Vermeer.

In 2013, authorities said the robbers belonged to a criminal organization based in New England."

Robert Gentile breaks his silence about Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum heist​

MANCHESTER, Conn. —
Nearly 31 years after the largest art heist in history, a reputed New England mobster has broken his silence about the case.

Robert Gentile, 87, is now believed to be the last surviving person of interest in the theft of 13 pieces of art stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.

"They can say what they want, I don't care," he told WTNH in a new interview. "It doesn't bother me."

On March 18, 1990, two men disguised as police officers gained entrance to the museum in Boston by telling the security guard at the watch desk that they were responding to a report of a disturbance.

Against museum policy, the guard allowed the men into the museum. The thieves handcuffed the museum's two guards on duty and put them in separate areas of the museum's basement.

The burglars stole more than $500 million worth of masterpieces, including works by Rembrandt, Manet and Vermeer.

In 2013, authorities said the robbers belonged to a criminal organization based in New England."

Old news really. These rumors had been going around for years.

Sadly the key players in this have either passed away or are too old to remember much.

The best chance at finding these paintings at this point is a death bed confession, but old mobsters aren't known for that.

They should just take the painting and adjacent ones off the wall, build a cage around these two clowns, and leave them there for a couple weeks. Maybe give them a can of soup after the first week.

The best chance at finding these paintings at this point is a death bed confession, but old mobsters aren't known for that.
Threatening their kids and grand kids when they are too old and unconnected to offer effective protection usually gets them talking.

The state isn't willing to use that level of violence against mobsters, but would against its political enemies.

Yes, the story said he was not the thief. Now they need to solve the Gardner Museum Heist and recover the paintings.
I was going to Wentworth at the time of the Gardner Museum heist and my dorm room was right across the park with the museum in full site. It was around St. Patrick's Day so we had all been drinking and crashed early. What amazes me was that no one ever asked anyone in the dorms if they had seen anything.

I was going to Wentworth at the time of the Gardner Museum heist and my dorm room was right across the park with the museum in full site. It was around St. Patrick's Day so we had all been drinking and crashed early. What amazes me was that no one ever asked anyone in the dorms if they had seen anything.
I attended Wentworth about 15 years before you, I had an apartment on Tetlow St. I was not student housing, I shared an apartment with two other guys that were going to MCP.

It was right next to the museum. Were you in the student housing on Evans Way?

I attended Wentworth about 15 years before you, I had an apartment on Tetlow St. I was not student housing, I shared an apartment with two other guys that were going to MCP.

It was right next to the museum. Were you in the student housing on Evans Way?
Yes. Evans Way was my dorm after being in Baker Hall as a freshman.

Back
Top Bottom