STOP ERPO TODAY!!! - Light Up The State House Phones!

Mike S

NES Member
The ERPO legislation is back in play, sounds like the Public Safety Committee is going to vote on it today.

The moms have been pushing really hard for this, today they coordinated with the #Enough kids and lit up the phones at the State House.

Tomorrow it's our turn. Please make a call to your state legislators, the House Speaker (DeLeo) the Senate President (Chandler) and the chairs of the public safety committee and urge a NO vote on Decker's H.3610.

Here's GOAL's alert page with more info.

Phone Numbers:

Speaker DeLeo
Phone:
617-722-2500

Sen President Chandler
Phone:
617-722-1500

Sen Moore - Chair of Public Safety Committee
Phone:
617-722-1485

Rep. Naughton - Chair of Public Safety Committee
Phone:
617-722-2230

Click here to look up your legislator

Some ERPO Facts
1. It will abuse people who only need a little temporary help
2. It will exacerbate any problems above person may have
3. There are already many ways for local police to handle these issues with compassion.
Urge #MALEg to vote no on the astroturf #REDFLAG bills they are being pushed by out of state gun prohibition advocates and they are not right for Massachusetts!

Last edited:
Lets not forget why a 'No' vote. This is unnecessary legislation, an LTC or FID can be pulled by the chief for a reason or no reason at all; all this does is allows people who have minimal interaction with a gun owner to screw them over with no repercussions.

Don't forget the bill in question does nothing to address the issue, takes the guns and provides no help or counseling.

If I'm wrong I will edit - but that is what I have gleaned from the info I have found.

Last edited:
The Rhode Island ACLU recently submitted an analysis opposing the way ERPO legislation is written. They did this for RI's ERPO bill, and is relevant to the bill MA is facing right now.
ACLU of Rhode Island Raises Red Flags Over “Red Flag” Gun Legislation | News | The American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island
The heart of the legislation’s ERPO process requires speculation – on the part of both the petitioner and judges – about an individual’s risk of possible violence. But, the ACLU analysis notes: “Psychiatry and the medical sciences have not succeeded in this realm, and there is no basis for believing courts will do any better. The result will likely be a significant impact on the rights of many innocent individuals in the hope of preventing a tragedy.”

The ACLU’s analysis concludes:

“People who are not alleged to have committed a crime should not be subject to severe deprivations of liberty interests, and deprivations for lengthy periods of time, in the absence of a clear, compelling and immediate showing of need. As well-intentioned as this legislation is, its breadth and its lenient standards for both applying for and granting an ERPO are cause for great concern.

“The ACLU urges legislators to focus bills like these on addressing serious imminent threats to the public safety while safeguarding robust due process procedures before granting the courts and law enforcement agencies potentially intrusive powers over the liberty of individuals charged with no crime. A narrower bill with basic due process protections can provide the proper balance in promoting both public safety and constitutional safeguards.

“Gun violence is a deeply serious problem deserving of a legislative response, but not, Minority Report-like, at the expense of basic due process for individuals whose crimes are speculative, not real. The precedent it creates could reverberate in unexpected and distressing ways in years to come.”

Another example which illustrates what's wrong with this is the case of the guy who is a PP and facing fed charges for receiving his guns back after being detained, cleared, and released.

A false accusation will result in lifetime federal prohibited status if this stands.

I saw it deleted before I could screenshot it .a Moonie from a former job in the Cambridge area posted on FB suggesting that people begin to plan on using this EPRO system to replort anyone they hear or know who owns guns. "As in, this is the only way we can take back our children's right to live! Use this the second it passes!"

I saw it deleted before I could screenshot it .a Moonie from a former job in the Cambridge area posted on FB suggesting that people begin to plan on using this EPRO system to replort anyone they hear or know who owns guns. "As in, this is the only way we can take back our children's right to live! Use this the second it passes!"

I'm not surprised. The moonbats know exactly what this is for, and expect them to use it liberally. We're all super f***ed when this passes.

I contacted them as usual...

If doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is the definition of insanity. I hope repeatedly contacting the government and hoping they listen sometime isn't used against me in some ERPO hearing. :)

Just called my rep & senator... not holding my breath but it is always good to be on the record.

I’m also betting that criminals with guns will be immune, presumption of innocence and all. We LTC/FID holders have confirmed we have guns so all it takes is a neighbor that doesn’t like your range and you are guilty until your hearing and once the bonded warehouse gets thousands from you, you can have your guns back - after doing nothing wrong. The gangs in Blue Hill don’t have licenses so even if a neighbor calls, nothing is happening without cops seeing something - you and me, just a call.

Remember, if this passes and they come to your door - you will never see your guns again (guilt not required).

Spoke with Rep Hogan’s office and Senator Eldridge’s office urging both to oppose h.3610 and any similar legislation.

Called an left a vm for my rep (John Rogers). Got VM for Naughton. I had about a 30 minute conversation with Senator Moore's aide Matt. We had to agree to disagree on several points of this, obviously. He did state that Senator Moore was hoping to get the bill changed to address due process. Biggest concern is that they felt that the penalty for filing a false affidavit was severe enough (he said it was 2.5 years, he's wrong). Still, that's not due process.

Sometimes its hard keeping the conversation civil but it was a good conversation. My biggest bone to pick with him is that Senator Moore is looking at this as a suicide prevention bill. I had several issues with that, especially statistics to back me up that suffocation and hanging are the biggest methods of suicide in MA, not firearms.

Last edited:
The ERPO legislation is back in play, sounds like the Public Safety Committee is going to vote on it today.

The moms have been pushing really hard for this, today they coordinated with the #Enough kids and lit up the phones at the State House.

Tomorrow it's our turn. Please make a call to your state legislators, the House Speaker (DeLeo) the Senate President (Chandler) and the chairs of the public safety committee and urge a NO vote on Decker's H.3610.

Here's GOAL's alert page with more info.

Phone Numbers:

Speaker DeLeo
Phone:
617-722-2500

Sen President Chandler
Phone:
617-722-1500

Sen Moore - Chair of Public Safety Committee
Phone:
617-722-1485

Rep. Naughton - Chair of Public Safety Committee
Phone:
617-722-2230

Click here to look up your legislator

Some ERPO Facts
1. It will abuse people who only need a little temporary help
2. It will exacerbate any problems above person may have
3. There are already many ways for local police to handle these issues with compassion.
Urge #MALEg to vote no on the astroturf #REDFLAG bills they are being pushed by out of state gun prohibition advocates and they are not right for Massachusetts!

Done.

I’ve called my state rep, senator and representative Naughton so far. I’ve been laughed at twice...

Nothing to be laughed at. Use the script below:

1) very concerned about swatting from people making false allegations
2) Police racial profiling is a big concern. We don't want to create another Ferguson
2) ACLU is against Red Flag laws

If anyone laugh that you get mad and tell him to take you f***ing seriously. It's on their conscious when someone dies from this from unintended consequences

If you speak to a Democrat, you might want to mention to them that the ACLU is against these "Red Flag" laws.

They opposed a similar bill in RI last month:

http://riaclu.org/images/uploads/180302_analysis_RedFlagsLegislation.pdf

The woman I spoke to in representative Naughton’s office said that they had spoken with the MA chapter of the ACLU and they were in fact for this bill. Apparently the MA bill has different language that makes it palatable. She told me she was going to follow up with them.

Nothing to be laughed at. Use the script below:

1) very concerned about swatting from people making false allegations
2) Police racial profiling is a big concern. We don't want to create another Ferguson
2) ACLU is against Red Flag laws

If anyone laugh that you get mad and tell him to take you f***ing seriously. It's on their conscious when someone dies from this from unintended consequences

I was laughed at when I told them why I was calling. I got really pissed each time and asked them why they thought my civil rights were a laughing matter. Jamie Eldridge’s office hung up. His office has laughed at/dismissed my calls before when I’ve called in regards to other 2a restrictions/legislation. They don’t even try to hide the fact that they’ve already made up the or mind in that particular office. I already had scripted bullet points before picking up the phone. I’m in sales, talk is my game.

I called and they said it's been 50 / 50.

Apparently Massachusetts gun owners don't care much about this.

The woman I spoke to in representative Naughton’s office said that they had spoken with the MA chapter of the ACLU and they were in fact for this bill. Apparently the MA bill has different language that makes it palatable. She told me she was going to follow up with them.

MA ACLU is neither for or against it. They are focused on immigration and reproductive rights. 2A not on their agenda. RI just passed ERPO today but amended language so only police officers can file petition. A lot more palatable than MA bill as currently drafted.
Rhode Island H7688 | 2018 | Regular Session

Called Moore and Naughton’s office. Moore is my State Senator. I made sure that was clearly communicated

"RED FLAG" GUN BILL CLEARS LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE

By Andy Metzger
STATE HOUSE NEWS SERVICE

STATE HOUSE, BOSTON, APRIL 13, 2018....A 19-member legislative committee on Friday recommended passage of a bill that would authorize courts to prevent people from owning guns if they are deemed dangerous.

Anti-gun violence activists, including students and many citizen activists, have recently stepped up their push for the bill, arguing it would provide a safety check to prevent dangerous people from accessing certain deadly weapons.

There was no dissent on the The Joint Committee on Public Safety on Friday, according to a committee staffer.

------
We are doomed.

Back
Top Bottom