Stop The Bleed classes (FREE)

Here in Marshfield, the local FD is doing them at our club for no charge. Maybe your FDca do it as well?? Great stuff to know. Maybe save a life

It's free but requires 5 dollar background check for CCW/LTC holder and 45 if you don't have one. Both me and my GF are signed up for the june 21st (I think that's the date) class.

It's free but requires 5 dollar background check for CCW/LTC holder and 45 if you don't have one. Both me and my GF are signed up for the june 21st (I think that's the date) class.
A friend emailed yesterday about this. They said it’s not required.

Confirm for yourself if interested.
13E20ABB-B903-46F5-988A-695BB092406F.jpeg

First Aid 101. Stop the bleeding or everything is futile.
also important to note that the "ABC"s of CPR is "CAB" now. As getting circulation going is more important than jamming air into some ones lungs.

It's pretty wild when you look back from WWI to modern day how much 1st aide and basic shit has changed. it makes you really wonder what the f*** the "experts" (doctors, etc) were thinking when they came up with all the bozo garbage they thought was great for decades.

Reminds me of when the Army thought it was a great idea to put Hextend into the combat life savers bag. After a few people were killed in training they cut that shit right out. Insane it even ended up in the bag in the 1st place considering how shallow CLS classes are and how inexperienced we all were with that sort of stuff. Looking back it was obvious that people would die in accidents having that shit around for minion level soldiers to have access to.

It's why I always just shake my head at the "trust the expert" people. Certainly don't trust them blindly because a lot of them have no f***ing idea what they are doing.

Don't forget "loosen the tq every 30 minutes..."
I had a co-worker who is a current ski patrol first aid guy who came into the office every day with his red blow out bag telling me that… tried ti talk to him. Nope. Ok… I’ll ski elsewhere

It's not that they don't know what they're doing as much as understanding of anatomy, physiology, and medicine keep evolving. Trauma care evolves a lot during war time. We've been involved in an active war since the early 1990s and it gets hotter the longer it goes on.

Just as the Korean War revolutionized trauma care by shortening the time from injury to treatment by moving patients by helicopter, advances in medicine and surgery caused people who would have died in Vietnam to survive in Iraq and Afghanistan.

When I started in EMS, back boards were good, Trendelenburg was good, high flow Oxygen was good, infusing large volumes of IV fluid into trauma patients was good, and no one even had a thought that Aspirin might help save heart attack victims.

Now, back boards are rarely used, Trendelenburg is recognized to be harmful, high flow Oxygen hurts most patients, and it is well established that infusing large volumes of IV fluids kills trauma patients.

I once knew a doctor who graduated from medical school before I was born. He was still working in a Boston ED because he needed the money. We were talking one night and he told me that not one thing he learned in medical school 50 years ago was still considered to be true.

I think about the long list of state of the art equipment that I had to learn to use that turned out to be useless, as well as the drugs we used that turned out not to work.

Medicine is always supposed to be advancing.

also important to note that the "ABC"s of CPR is "CAB" now. As getting circulation going is more important than jamming air into some ones lungs.

It's pretty wild when you look back from WWI to modern day how much 1st aide and basic shit has changed. it makes you really wonder what the f*** the "experts" (doctors, etc) were thinking when they came up with all the bozo garbage they thought was great for decades.

Reminds me of when the Army thought it was a great idea to put Hextend into the combat life savers bag. After a few people were killed in training they cut that shit right out. Insane it even ended up in the bag in the 1st place considering how shallow CLS classes are and how inexperienced we all were with that sort of stuff. Looking back it was obvious that people would die in accidents having that shit around for minion level soldiers to have access to.

It's why I always just shake my head at the "trust the expert" people. Certainly don't trust them blindly because a lot of them have no f***ing idea what they are doing.

It's not that they don't know what they're doing as much as understanding of anatomy, physiology, and medicine keep evolving. Trauma care evolves a lot during war time. We've been involved in an active war since the early 1990s and it gets hotter the longer it goes on.

Just as the Korean War revolutionized trauma care by shortening the time from injury to treatment by moving patients by helicopter, advances in medicine and surgery caused people who would have died in Vietnam to survive in Iraq and Afghanistan.

When I started in EMS, back boards were good, Trendelenburg was good, high flow Oxygen was good, infusing large volumes of IV fluid into trauma patients was good, and no one even had a thought that Aspirin might help save heart attack victims.

Now, back boards are rarely used, Trendelenburg is recognized to be harmful, high flow Oxygen hurts most patients, and it is well established that infusing large volumes of IV fluids kills trauma patients.

I once knew a doctor who graduated from medical school before I was born. He was still working in a Boston ED because he needed the money. We were talking one night and he told me that not one thing he learned in medical school 50 years ago was still considered to be true.

I think about the long list of state of the art equipment that I had to learn to use that turned out to be useless, as well as the drugs we used that turned out not to work.

Medicine is always supposed to be advancing.
I think my point is lost. If EMT basic Dench identifies it as retarded on his own 2000s doctor probably should of been onto it. And I'm sure a lot of them were. But as we saw with covid we don't want to make any waves now do we?

I can think of 3 distinct modern full retard EMT policies in MA right now that are comical (and 2 of them are new). I won't get into them here as I used to openly bash them at my old department and don't want to go down the make it easy to figure out who I am path. But let's just say the consensus was unanimous that someone was hitting the crack pipe a little hard that day when they wrote that into the guidelines.

Last edited:
I have not been bashful in saying that there is the OEMS world and then there is the real world. I can point to half a dozen protocols that are at the least impractical. That doesn't include the administrivia that agencies have to go through.

From going to conferences as well as knowing EMS providers from the US and other countries I can tell you that MA is well behind the cutting edge.

I think my point is lost. If EMT basic Dench identifies it as retarded on his own 2000s doctor probably should of been onto it. And I'm sure a lot of them were. But as we saw with covid we don't want to make any waves now do we?

I can think of 3 distinct modern full retard EMT policies in MA right now that are comical (and 2 of them are new). I won't get into them here as I used to openly bash them at my old department and don't want to go down the make it easy to figure out who I am path. But let's just say the consensus was unanimous that someone was hitting the crack pipe a little hard that day when they wrote that into the guidelines.

Over my lifetime it went from tourniquets good, to horribly bad (you’ll cost then a limb (but - but they are going to die?)), to absof***inglutely use one and carry one 24/7
Tourniquets have changed a bit in that timeframe and so has the time duration to definitive care. When I got into EMS in 2005 we had this shitty narrow cloth ones like you see tied to limbs in WW2. The ones we have now are a lot wider and I think cause less damage.

Tourniquets have changed a bit in that timeframe and so has the time duration to definitive care. When I got into EMS in 2005 we had this shitty narrow cloth ones like you see tied to limbs in WW2. The ones we have now are a lot wider and I think cause less damage.
I think I’d rather loose a limb than my life… But if it’s my 5th limb let me die….

The long standing myth was that a tourniquet would cause loss of a limb. A trauma surgeon that i knew pointed out that they routinely put tourniquets on patients in the Operating Room for up to six hours while they did surgery with no ill effects.

He also pointed out that loss of a limb was better than the patient bleeding out and dying. We routinely used them when the rest of the EMS world was still afraid to and had a lot of saves doing it.

The long standing myth was that a tourniquet would cause loss of a limb. A trauma surgeon that i knew pointed out that they routinely put tourniquets on patients in the Operating Room for up to six hours while they did surgery with no ill effects.

He also pointed out that loss of a limb was better than the patient bleeding out and dying. We routinely used them when the rest of the EMS world was still afraid to and had a lot of saves doing it.
Probably lawyers said it’s cheaper to let them die vs a lawsuit over a lost limb

I was told a TQ could stay on for 8 hours and not cause a loss of a limb. I’m skeptical of that. But again loosing an arm or dying?

Not lawyers, just bad teaching using books that took medical facts from the Civil War. I not kidding about that.

The first First Aid class I took in the early 1970s used a Red Cross 1954 revision of the edition Copyrighted in the mid 1930s. The first EMT text book I used in the mid 1970s wasn't much better.

It took decades for EMS to be accepted as part of medicine. It was only after Emergency Medicine became a separate speciality stating in the mid to late 1980s that the standards and education started to improve. Before that surgeons ran most emergency rooms.

When I started in the late 1970s most of the equipment at Boston City Hospital emergency room was still marked "Accident Floor."

Back
Top Bottom