Storage in personal vehicle on school grounds.

roccoracer

NES Member
Please help me out here. I was arguing with a friend last night about school grounds. He thinks that it is okay to have an unloaded firearm in a safe stored in your vehicle on school grounds. Reading the law it does say carry, loaded or unloaded is unlawful unless you have written permission. His argument is that he is not carrying it but storing it.
Am I correct in thinking he is wrong? Are there any cases showing precedent one way or the other?
Thank you.

Did you read the article?

Healy was charged with possessing a large-capacity firearm without a license to carry, possessing a large-capacity feeding device without a license to carry, carrying a firearm on school grounds, improper storage of a large-capacity firearm, defaced firearm serial number and possession of ammunition without a license to carry.

Not the same situation at all.

"Healy was charged with possessing a large-capacity firearm without a license to carry, possessing a large-capacity feeding device without a license to carry, carrying a firearm on school grounds, improper storage of a large-capacity firearm, defaced firearm serial number and possession of ammunition without a license to carry.?

Read more: School janitor arrested with loaded gun in Westford

1. MGL 269-10j includes the qualifier "on one's person" describing what is prohiobioted

2. The police generally do NOT understand this. I believe it is an intentional training oversight.

3. The charge generally gets dropped once you engage coun$el, but you still have that pesky suitability thing. I know one case where it was changed from carry to unsafe storage since the gun was in the center console, no trigger lock, and not in the trunk

4. If UR going 2 do this, best is unloaded in trunk in locked case. Some police also do not know that a trunk qualifies as a locked case.

5. If caught, do NOT say something stupid like "I parked the car and locked the gun in the trunk" as you are now admitting to the crime of carry one one's person

6. I know of one case in which a visible shell case was basis for a warrant, because the police described lawful activity (gun stored in car) to the judge as a criminal offense. So, the search was justified based on suspicion of a legal act (the driver was known to have an LTC)

>Len or Boudrie can chime in here but AFAIK at that point it is transporting, not storage. A-ok in trunk locked up
Under MGL any movement is a form of carry, but see #1 above.

Last edited:
4. If UR going 2 do this, best is unloaded in trunk in locked case.
4.1: Do not be seen standing behind your car in a school parking lot, unloading, locking up, unlocking, or loading your gun next to the trunk of your car.
4.2: Do not stand behind your car in a school parking lot, unloading, locking up, unlocking, or loading your gun next to the trunk of your car, even if you think no one can see you.
4.3: Do not be seen standing behind your car off school property, unloading, locking up, unlocking or loading your gun next to the trunk of your car, and then driving to/from a school.
4.4: Do not let any children know you have a guy or ammo anywhere near your car before or after driving to/from a school.
4.5: Do not let anyone know you store an unloaded gun or ammo in a locked case in the trunk of your car.
4.6: Forbid any children who know you own a gun from ever saying anything whatsoever about it to anybody outside your immediate family at any place at any time.
4.7: Do not give police permission to search the trunk of your car at any place or time, for any reason.

Because those are all ways to get jacked up Big Time for carrying a gun on school property without permission.

In other words, better to get lost in a crowd of one than stand out like a turd in a punchbowl.

4.8 - If your kid is of driving age, tell him/her "no FID, no car borrowing in case I left some ammo in the trunk". Offer to pay for the class and licensing fee.

Please help me out here. I was arguing with a friend last night about school grounds. He thinks that it is okay to have an unloaded firearm in a safe stored in your vehicle on school grounds. Reading the law it does say carry, loaded or unloaded is unlawful unless you have written permission. His argument is that he is not carrying it but storing it.
Am I correct in thinking he is wrong? Are there any cases showing precedent one way or the other?
Thank you.

Letter of the law, he is correct. Unfortunately, even abiding by the letter of the law, you can still get jammed up. Best thing is to avoid the situation if at all possible.

Letter of the law, he is correct. Unfortunately, even abiding by the letter of the law, you can still get jammed up. Best thing is to avoid the situation if at all possible.
Unbelievable how you can follow the law perfectly legally but proving you're right still costs five figures. You can have as much justice as you can afford.

There's no justice.....there's just us. And, them, apparently.
I didn't know that either!

(I hope you're not punking us) :)

General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 129B

Scroll down to 9C: (9C) Except as provided in paragraph (9B), the fee for an application for a firearm identification card for any person under the age of 18 shall be $25, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in the case of revocation or denial. The licensing authority shall retain 50 per cent of the fee and the remaining portion shall be deposited into the General Fund. Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary, licensing authorities shall deposit quarterly that portion of the firearm identification card application fee which is to be deposited into the General Fund, not later than January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1 of each year..

Oh, as for the "forgetting," my son had to remind them, by presenting the relevant MGL (cited above) when he applied.... Of course, he's been an NRA Instructor since he was 13. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom