• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storage

As my milsurp collection grows I am looking into possibly getting a new safe. My current one doesn't really fit rifles well, the individual rifle holders are too small and the rifles are crammed and just don't fit well. Anyone have a safe that they are really happy with to recommend? I have young kids so I am going to stick with a safe for now. Someday I will have a gun room.

As my milsurp collection grows I am looking into possibly getting a new safe. My current one doesn't really fit rifles well, the individual rifle holders are too small and the rifles are crammed and just don't fit well. Anyone have a safe that they are really happy with to recommend? I have young kids so I am going to stick with a safe for now. Someday I will have a gun room.
BJ's is having an early Black Friday sale starting on 11/05. Their ad shows this one

DC76529F-C064-4A81-8F15-9B36B1C17E67.jpeg

I have yet to find a safe that has a layout that is efficient at storage of long guns. The spacing is great if you have only over under shotguns. I have found on all mine (and on sons and brothers) that things improve substantially if I design the storage racks myself. Wider spacing for wider guns (especially tactical bolt knobs). Racks at multiple heights for long and short barrels. I do store sometimes alternate Muzzle down. Sometimes you do need to go to larger safe, sometimes you can get by with better storage rack design.

You never mentioned a budget or capacity. I am looking at Browning safes for my next one. I think their added storage on the door is outstanding and is built for rifles, including a few scoped rifles. Browning's Hell's Canyon 49 wide is the one I am interested in but it is not cheap.

These are great ideas. I have not previously considered storing rifles upside down. How do socks affect humidity, Ive been thinking about getting more for all my rifles as the safe gets more crammed. The safe is in conditioned space so it stays pretty dry. If I get additional safes I need to find a new place for them (and possibly myself 🤣) I might pull the factory plastic racks out and make my own properly spaced one. Im going to research the rifle rod idea. Ive also considered getting my shotguns out of the safe. My wife suggested selling some to make space, i didnt like that idea.

You never mentioned a budget or capacity. I am looking at Browning safes for my next one. I think their added storage on the door is outstanding and is built for rifles, including a few scoped rifles. Browning's Hell's Canyon 49 wide is the one I am interested in but it is not cheap.
Those safes look awesome. But the big one is north of 3k. Plus at over 1000lbs it will be a project just getting it in. I think my old shotguns are going into the attic and I will impliment some of these other ideas to make the most out of my 34 gun safe. Word of advice to any new gun collecters reading this, get a bigger safe than you think you need the 1st time!

These are great ideas. I have not previously considered storing rifles upside down. How do socks affect humidity, Ive been thinking about getting more for all my rifles as the safe gets more crammed. The safe is in conditioned space so it stays pretty dry. If I get additional safes I need to find a new place for them (and possibly myself 🤣) I might pull the factory plastic racks out and make my own properly spaced one. Im going to research the rifle rod idea. Ive also considered getting my shotguns out of the safe. My wife suggested selling some to make space, i didnt like that idea.
my advice if your looking to just comply to storage laws and only storing rifles get the largest locking metal cabinet you can find just tall enough for your longest gun. If you want added security go with a safe. maybe a visit to a "safe store" and see what they have for rifle only safes. Another option is my buddy found the 15 or 20 gun safe iirc liberty on sale that came with out any accessories. For around $200 each. One safe is for the collectables, the other for random stuff and the 3rd he put next to his current safe and built his own shelving for pistols and such.

As for long term storage. Gun socks with VCI are good. For longer storage VCI emitters in the safe and VCI storage bags. I also use the VCI tubing in the bores.
The more you go in and out of your safe the more chances of any corrosion problems. So 2 safes are a good option 1 for daily used items and one for the collectables.
That said if I had the funds and the room, i would go as big as possible.
To bad there is not the equivalent to California Closet ........ Gun Vault Closet. Basically a way to install a "safe" that takes on a "closet" space already in your home?

I use the silicone impregnated gun socks for storing some of mine in the safe. You can do every other gun and that will protect everyone in there from his neighbor.

...I found one of these on Crap's List locally years ago...48" long...

WAY more roomy than a safe its size and not even close to the cost...

Not the MOST secure if you've got a cut off wheel but you can silicone sock and stack A LOT of rifles in one of these...

Buried in the basement somewhere and filled with some lead, no one will really notice and it isn't going anywhere quick...

1604156119245.png

I’ve heard of some Garand collectors removing the stocks from the rifles to allow them to store more rifles in the safe. Action goes in the safe, stock outside. I haven’t QUITE resorted to that yet, but may need to in a couple more months.

I’ve heard of some Garand collectors removing the stocks from the rifles to allow them to store more rifles in the safe. Action goes in the safe, stock outside. I haven’t QUITE resorted to that yet, but may need to in a couple more months.

I think that's more to keep the wood from getting compressed and affecting accuracy

Try alternating barrel up barrel down. Keeps the bulky reviewers with protruding bolts from taking up all the room on bottom of safe. I also store all my milsurps in socks to minimize safe damage. Just need to keep in mind humidity levels if storing in socks.
I agree . I discovered this recently at a friends house. He had been doing it for years. I’ve got one safe full of k98 and bolt actions. It works really well

On my nicest match milsurp and 1903 National Match rifle, I use the Bore Stores socks. Fairly thick for padding and has silicone and/or rust inhibitor. I use the plug-in renewable dessicant units and never have a problem with corrosion. I alternate upside down to get more in the safe. Also for 'overflow' storage I have the Stack-On large cabinet. It's pretty solid yet light enough to have put it upstairs in the bedroom. I keep my tactical toys and basic hunting stuff in that one, with the safe reserved for the more valuable stuff.

If you have M1's or M1A's- watch out for the op rod handles. They stick out and like to leave dings in the stocks of their neighbors. Bore Store socks help to prevent the dings.

Gun Storage | Shooting Accessories at Brownells

If you have M1's or M1A's- watch out for the op rod handles. They stick out and like to leave dings in the stocks of their neighbors.
I took a length of 3/8" rubber oil line (virgin) and cut 1/2" segments that fit right over the pointy part of the op-rod hook. 12 years, no damage...

You can get these kits also

Back
Top Bottom