Storing ammo in magazine?

i was wondering if it is legal to keep a loaded magazine locked up with your guns or does that also have to be kept separate?

I’ve searched the forum for the question and couldn’t find it within the last 5 years or so

i was wondering if it is legal to keep a loaded magazine locked up with your guns or does that also have to be kept separate?

I’ve searched the forum for the question and couldn’t find it within the last 5 years or so

Are you asking about in your home or in your vehicle? Could be two different answers.

edit: nice username

The gun can be loaded if you'd like, round chambered and full magazine in.

Nothing in the storage law stipulates that the gun must be unloaded
True, but PLEASE do not use cable locks/trigger locks on loaded guns! It can be stored loaded in a locked container/safe.

Are you asking about in your home or in your vehicle? Could be two different answers.
True, it is "unclear" if it is legal to leave a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle, so I would not recommend it.

If you go to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website and look up the general laws regarding firearms, I think they even say something to the effect of "Gun laws in Massachusetts are complex and can be confusing" Even they admit it, LOL.

The motor vehicle situation is where confusion really sets in. I carry mine on me the majority of the time, but if I'm going to be out of my vehicle for an extended period of time I unload it and lock it in a safe I have secured in my truck and put the magazines in a separate area. The law doesn't necessarily state that, but I do it just in case someone breaks into my truck and manages to get the safe out.

I know a guy who spread misinformation about having a gun in a vehicle, stating that it always has to be locked in a container, empty, with the magazines and ammo locked in a separate container. This was partially true for him because he had a Class B LTC at the time.

If you're going across state lines and you don't have reciprocity in the state you're in and have to lock it in a safe, then I believe it does have to be unloaded with the ammo separate.

Keep in mind, the laws are just as confusing to law enforcement as they are us. Most don't know the ins and outs of every single law, so just as we should err on the side of caution within reason at times to avoid trouble, they're going to err on the side of caution and probably arrest you if they aren't sure. In the end the charges may be dropped due to the fact that you weren't breaking a law at all, but you'll be inconvenienced and possibly out some money.

I’m talking about in the house. Don’t want to keep it loaded if not on me but would like ammo close enough and ready to use if ever needed

Could we please distinguish the differences between handguns and long guns. I know that a loaded long gun in a vehicle is a no go. What about loaded long gun mags? What about long guns in the home? I know what I do, but I've never been 100% sure. I've heard different things.

True, rifles and shotguns have to be unloaded and secured in a case while in a vehicle. While being stored at home, the same rules apply for a handgun; secured in a case or safe and can be loaded. Chapter 140 Section 131C covers carrying in a vehicle, Section 131L covers storage.

The language in the law gives other options such as a locked trunk of a vehicle, locking device, etc, none of which I'd recommend, particularly while loaded.

True, rifles and shotguns have to be unloaded and secured in a case while in a vehicle. While being stored at home, the same rules apply for a handgun; secured in a case or safe and can be loaded. Chapter 140 Section 131C covers carrying in a vehicle, Section 131L covers storage.

The language in the law gives other options such as a locked trunk of a vehicle, locking device, etc, none of which I'd recommend, particularly while loaded.
reread 131C. only LARGE CAPACITY have to be unloaded and "contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container"

The law was written by a 2nd grader (ok, that may be insulting to a lot of 2nd graders).

Loaded firearm under direct control
high capacity rifle or shotgun unloaded and locked up
non-large capacity rifle or shotgun, unloaded handgun, no language in 131C at all.

So read it again and figure out if there are any requirements for an unloaded firearm (handgun, SBS, SBR, AOW) or a non-large capacity shotgun or rifle.

I began to get into the difference in requirements between large capacity and non large capacity rifles and shotguns, but deleted it for what is usually obvious reasons on forums like this. I figured I'd cite the sections of the law so he could look them over himself to clear it up.

I began to get into the difference in requirements between large capacity and non large capacity rifles and shotguns, but deleted it for what is usually obvious reasons on forums like this. I figured I'd cite the sections of the law so he could look them over himself to clear it up.
I just throw the Thompson in the back seat. Not hi cap rifle or shotgun. Jack.

I keep all of mine with a clear chamber and loaded mag.

Whatever you choose to do be consistant to prevent f'ups.

If you go to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website and look up the general laws regarding firearms, I think they even say something to the effect of "Gun laws in Massachusetts are complex and can be confusing" Even they admit it, LOL.

The motor vehicle situation is where confusion really sets in. I carry mine on me the majority of the time, but if I'm going to be out of my vehicle for an extended period of time I unload it and lock it in a safe I have secured in my truck and put the magazines in a separate area. The law doesn't necessarily state that, but I do it just in case someone breaks into my truck and manages to get the safe out.

I know a guy who spread misinformation about having a gun in a vehicle, stating that it always has to be locked in a container, empty, with the magazines and ammo locked in a separate container. This was partially true for him because he had a Class B LTC at the time.

If you're going across state lines and you don't have reciprocity in the state you're in and have to lock it in a safe, then I believe it does have to be unloaded with the ammo separate.

Keep in mind, the laws are just as confusing to law enforcement as they are us. Most don't know the ins and outs of every single law, so just as we should err on the side of caution within reason at times to avoid trouble, they're going to err on the side of caution and probably arrest you if they aren't sure. In the end the charges may be dropped due to the fact that you weren't breaking a law at all, but you'll be inconvenienced and possibly out some money.

With regard to: If you're going across state lines and you don't have reciprocity in the state you're in and have to lock it in a safe, then I believe it does have to be unloaded with the ammo separate.

Federal law, known as FOPA, basically states that if you can legally posses the firearm in your origin and your destination - then you can transport through any state as long as the firearm is unloaded and locked up with the ammunition separate.

You still have to obey the pertinent laws in the states that you're passing through. For example, in my case, travel through NJ with hollowpoints is a nogo.

I’m talking about in the house. Don’t want to keep it loaded if not on me but would like ammo close enough and ready to use if ever needed
So a bad guy breaks into your home and u make it to your safe in time and as u grab your gun and load a mag into it...WHAMMO!!!!! U are to late and take one to the head and your wife and kids are trafficked and sold into sex slavery!! ok that’s a little harsh but seriously...Whatever firearm u are using to protect your home have it readily accessible in a proper safe and in CONDITION 1. That’s a magazine inserted and a round in the chamber and the weapon off Safe ready to fire. If you are uncomfortable with this, get training...lots of it! Hope this helps, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom