• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

storing and transporting gasoline

greencobra

NES Member
i want to travel with a 5 gallon jerry can, or 2, of gas in my truck, lashed to the inside of the bed. the bed will be covered over with a tonneau cover that's locked. is this a stupid idea? especially with summer and the heat approaching? it gets hot under that cover i've noticed in the past. i'm in the process of having lockable can holders for the truck bed fabricated but if this is an idea that's not wise, well, i'll just forget the idea.

I travel with 2 5gal when I head up north but I always have them open to the air and the cover I put on them is vented (I just wrap them in a canvas material and strap them down.

From what I have found - the autoignition temperature is extremely high: 536 °F. Probably not getting that hot in your truck bed. Use only DOT approved containers.

I've done that many times before and never had a problem. I wouldn't fill the cans all the way up and checked on them occasionally. I never cracked the vents because I was worried about vapors under the cover. I don't know if it was smart, but I'm still here.

Have been doing it for years in my truck.
I put 4 gallons in a 5 gallon plastic gas can.
I have had no real problem with oder in the cab. I have had the issue when I filled the can up that it got swollen and when I vented it and I came back later the can had collapsed in . I haven't had those problems with only using 4 gals.

I have two of these with the bed rail mounts in my Tacoma. I have had them probably since 2013 and they are still going strong. I also have a topper, but it looks like they will fit under a tounneau if you turn them sideways (see image from interwebs below).

In-Bed RotopaX Mount - Fishbone Offroad

Home

What's the brand name and what does the pour spout look like?

Sorry, thought I posted a link. It's www.rotopax.com

It comes with the stupid eco spout, but you can buy a regular one (it says for water, but pretty sure it would work with gas). The eco spout isn't too bad to use, and mine actually stuck in the "open" position almost immediately, so it worked out.

Attachments

• 1678889107310.png
    1678889107310.png
    29 KB · Views: 1
I have two of these with the bed rail mounts in my Tacoma. I have had them probably since 2013 and they are still going strong. I also have a topper, but it looks like they will fit under a tounneau if you turn them sideways (see image from interwebs below).

In-Bed RotopaX Mount - Fishbone Offroad

Home
Thats pretty slick, id probably buy a couple if i kept cans in my truck on purpose. but i usually just fill my tools and generators and leave the can in my truck for months at a time.

I use a steel can though

What's the brand name and what does the pour spout look like?

Thats pretty slick, id probably buy a couple if i kept cans in my truck on purpose. but i usually just fill my tools and generators and leave the can in my truck for months at a time.

I use a steel can though

Forgot to mention, the spout turns around and stores inside the can. To use, just unscrew the top, remove the spout, turn it around and screw the cap back on. It works pretty nicely, and there are multiple handy spots to hold onto as you fill up your vehicle/generator whatever.

In hot weather, do you vent this tank frequently?

I had to more when I lived in NC with the hot summers, especially with a dark colored vehicle and topper. It will bulge noticeably if you don't. I would vent it whenever I thought about it, sometimes going days in between and it was fine. Here I'm parked in a garage and the summers aren't as hot so not as much of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom