Storing large amounts of ammunitions

Also just reading between the lines

• Large Capacity rifles and shotguns: “No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B License… shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded, and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)
  • Rifles and Shotguns: “No person .. shall have in his possession or under his control in or on any vehicle or aircraft a loaded shotgun or rifle.. Chapter 131, section 63

So does this mean that "Rifles and shotguns" that are not of large capacity can be say, in the back window or in your direct control... Since it appears to state that only high capacity rifles and shotguns have to be unloaded AND locked up.

Anything good on tv? hah [rofl]

527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition

But,

527CMR 13.04 (2)(a) 1,2, and 3.

WITH a permit from the local Fire Chief: 30,000 rimfire, 50,000 centerfire, 50,000 shotgun.

Use form FP-006.
Fee should be $0 to $10 in MA.

It sounds like a great idea to notify the government about how much ammo you have so "they," whoever has access to those public records, know where to go or who to publish in the next list in the paper.

It sounds like a great idea to notify the government about how much ammo you have so "they," whoever has access to those public records, know where to go or who to publish in the next list in the paper.

Then I would recommend storing it outside of your house because if you have a fire and have more than the amounts listed, you can forget about your insurance company covering the loss.

I had no real questions from my Fire Chief to get mine. I've also heard that having this permit exempts you from having everything under lock and key but I have not been able to confirm that.

I had no real questions from my Fire Chief to get mine. I've also heard that having this permit exempts you from having everything under lock and key but I have not been able to confirm that.

Knob Creek is correct. Read the CMR!

HOWEVER if there are "unauthorized persons" (anyone w/o at least an FID) in the household, the stuff must be locked up under MGL C. 140. So it really depends . . .

Back
Top Bottom