• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing Weapon In Vehicle

I personally think it is dangerous to unload /load a semi-auto pistol in my car out in public just so I can lock it in the lock box in my car unloaded because I have to go someplace where it is illegal to carry.

- - - Updated - - -

If you mean loaded in a MV, I think that the jury is still out on that issue. It isn't something I would test. YMMV

post 62 specified unloaded

- - - Updated - - -

What are the vehicle storage requirements for a pressure cooker?

Massprudence now applies to cookware.

Technically it doesn't have to be unloaded for storage. Once you get in the car you're then "carrying in a vehicle" and it has to be either unloaded and locked up or in your direct control. (Assuming you're talking about a pistol, and assuming you have an LTC-A. Transportation rules are a bit different for long guns and "lesser" licenses.)

This is the TRANSPORT law:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

This is the STORAGE law:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L

For what it's worth, I keep one of these in each of my vehicles for the rare occasions that I have to go somewhere where I can't carry: http://www.gunvault.com/nanovault-200.html. You can find them (or something very similar) at pretty much any gun shop in the country.
This is my take. And I too have these safes in both cars, keyed alike

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My turn for a question on this topic.

I have lockable underseat storage in my car (from the factory, in fact the owner's manual calls it "Secure Lock Storage")

It is a drawer under the front passenger seat that can be locked with the owner's key (not the Valet one).

In a pinch (Unexpected trip to pick up kid at school etc), does this qualify as "locked container storage" under the MGL? It is NOT a glove box just to be clear.

My turn for a question on this topic.

I have lockable underseat storage in my car (from the factory, in fact the owner's manual calls it "Secure Lock Storage")

It is a drawer under the front passenger seat that can be locked with the owner's key (not the Valet one).

In a pinch (Unexpected trip to pick up kid at school etc), does this qualify as "locked container storage" under the MGL? It is NOT a glove box just to be clear.
it would depend on the cop maybe. but its hard to say but I would think as long as its not in the Glove Box then your ok.
But even if you lock it up in car, you do know school grounds (not sure how close you park) is still a No No I thought

it would depend on the cop maybe. but its hard to say but I would think as long as its not in the Glove Box then your ok.
But even if you lock it up in car, you do know school grounds (not sure how close you park) is still a No No I thought

My understanding is that Storage is different than carrying is different than transporting.

I realize that it is aa .0000001% of anything ever happening that would put me in the situation of having a firearm and needing to get my kid AND having LEO involvement.

A judge ruled (I think it was Comm. v. Jason Whitehead) that even POSSESSION of ammo/empty cases/guns on school PROPERTY was illegal with a LTC!! Rob Boudrie should be along shortly hopefully to expand on this.

ETA: The court ruling flies in the face of the written MGL, but appellate decisions are binding, sadly.

Oh, it gets murky. If I recall correctly the courts have ruled that a firearm in a car can fall under both storage and transportation parts of the law.

Reyes clarified that to some extent, though it's always a crap shoot when the courts are involved.

This court concluded that G. L. c. 140, § 131C (a), the firearm carrying statute, does not apply once a person leaves a motor vehicle and a firearm in it; consequently, at the trial of a criminal complaint charging improper carrying of a firearm arising from the defendant's having left a firearm in his locked motor vehicle, the evidence was insufficient as a matter of law to sustain the defendant's conviction.

A judge ruled (I think it was Comm. v. Jason Whitehead) that even POSSESSION of ammo/empty cases/guns on school PROPERTY was illegal with a LTC!! Rob Boudrie should be along shortly hopefully to expand on this.

ETA: The court ruling flies in the face of the written MGL, but appellate decisions are binding, sadly.
Possession is different than storage though right? Was Comm v Jason Whitehead about ammo etc on person or in the car? Not ideal but that (storage) was the OP's question.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

"I could have pulled my Glock out of my waistband and shot that madman before he killed 30 children, but I did not want to anyone to know I was carrying on School Property."

Possession is different than storage though right? Was Comm v Jason Whitehead about ammo etc on person or in the car? Not ideal but that (storage) was the OP's question.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The ammo was in the car but plainly visible.

The law specifically says in school grounds on your person. I was not aware of this court decision making up new law.

How the hell are regular law abiding people supposed to know what is considered illegal if courts don't use the words as written in law.

This shit drives me ****ing nuts.

The law specifically says in school grounds on your person. I was not aware of this court decision making up new law.

How the hell are regular law abiding people supposed to know what is considered illegal if courts don't use the words as written in law.

This shit drives me ****ing nuts.

Yup. If youre going to juniors Christmas play, put your roscoe into a proper storage container in your motor vehicle. Dont unload it, dont trigger lock it, just put it a container that meets the parameters.
Go to play.
Come back out to parking lot, put roscoe back into your favorite direct control spot, and drive on.

Yup. If youre going to juniors Christmas play, put your roscoe into a proper storage container in your motor vehicle. Dont unload it, dont trigger lock it, just put it a container that meets the parameters.
Go to play.
Come back out to parking lot, put roscoe back into your favorite direct control spot, and drive on.
needs to be unloaded even in locked container

Go to play.

except I thought LEN just said a court ruling made it illegal to have a firearm locked in your vehicle on school grounds

I dont claim to understand MGL because apparently the courts dont either.

It has been reported on this board that people have been convicted for having a loaded handgun locked in a lock box locked in a parked vehicle because it violated the transport law and even though the storage law has no location restrictions, it did not apply because in a parked vehicle the transport law applies

Now LEN just quoted a case where the court ruled you could not have a firearm locked in a box in your vehicle on school grounds even though the law specifically prohibits on school grounds a 'firearm on your person'

I am just trying to not get jammed up in this POS commie state and I do not claim to know what is legal or illegal.

But I would certainly like to know, if that is possible

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom