• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Strange Carbine ammo

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Got a "Here" ( it's like a "Present," but not wrapped [laugh]) of random ammo.

Some is .30 carbine, but ALL the bullets are pushed back into the cases [shocked]

Is this a thing? Uber-light loads? If it was one or two, then I'd say, "meh," but this seems deliberate.

I don't have a Carbine, so I'll pass it along, but I'd like to know if I should clear the area when the recipient uses them? [grenade]

Post a pic!

Sounds like someone didn't resize before reloading, or maybe dropped the whole brick on concrete? Dunno, but in in doubt, I'd take them apart for components, don't shoot them!
I'd be happy to re-use the brass/projo if you're looking to unload them. [grin]

There isn't a diverse choice of bullets for the .30 Carbine. You generally have the standard 110gr RN (FMJ, perhaps SP) and that's about the most common that are commercially available. You could use the Plinker, SJSP and Varminter, as well as the two Lyman molds, but that's about it. I've loaded the plastic riot bullets (18gr) and sabots, but I can't say I've seen them offered anywhere else.

Possible 7.62x38? It's pretty difficult to sink a bullet that far into a Carbine case.

There you go... it's probably not even a .30 Carbine, but the 7.62x38R (rimmed)..

ZHSSsIRl.jpg

I would hope OP could tell the difference between a .30 carbine case and a 7.62 Nagant case! [laugh]

How many rounds do you have? If it's just a handful I'd say just get rid of them. But if its a whole box, hell I could use some more .30 brass for reloading so I would take them off your hands and pull 'em.

I would hope OP could tell the difference between a .30 carbine case and a 7.62 Nagant case! [laugh]

How many rounds do you have? If it's just a handful I'd say just get rid of them. But if its a whole box, hell I could use some more .30 brass for reloading so I would take them off your hands and pull 'em.

I think if you never heard or seen of 762 nagant pistol ammo you may think it's 30 carbine.
If you have not seen or own either would be easy to miss ID.

Sunuvabeach.

Looks like the Ruskie ID is on target.

The headstamp is not commercial (no makings as to what it is), and there are only numbers, not the normal FA / RIA sort of thing.

It does not have the weird crimp, but looks like the stuff in the picture with the Commie pasteboard box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×38mmR

Good call to the people that guessed, without seeing pix.

I've handled Carbine ammo, but this was a new item. Cool.

Back
Top Bottom