• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Strangeness while marking one forum as read

smokey-seven

NES Member
I’m running a Mac with Firefox and have the dark screen set for here. I have frozen up a few times and have the scenario that makes the server hang. I have a simple work around just by waiting a second or two.

I mark each individual Forum read as I finish that reading. When I hit the return to mark it read, the screen takes a small portion of a second to a full second to clear that forum as read as the screen flashes to partially a white screen at the top and the bottom is black and then the marked as read forum comes back.

If I back arrow to the list of forums during this partial second to full second, The server occasionally hangs me with a black blank screen and does nothing. I then have to close the firefox connection box and then reopen NEshooters again.

This is not easily repeated since it is a very close timing of clicking back to the forums list and the refreshment of the read forum. As I said, it’s not a critical issue, I just wait the full second or less till the forum comes back marked all as read and then back arrow to the forums list without a problem. I only mention this as information as some of these weird things can be an indicator of a deeper problem. Thanks Shorty for dealing with what you do.

The server is processing your request during the time you are hitting the back button - when you click before it has returned the next page back, you're trying to access the same data that it's writing out to the database (the threads/posts which you have 'read').

During the write, the database locks the involved records from being read so that you don't get a 'dirty' read of inaccurate data. This is why it isn't able to return the full page to you when you try and navigate before it has completed the write.

This is a 'symptom' of the more detailed post read system which this forum has - the previous software just based everything on timestamps and was inaccurate at times, whereas this software maintains a record at the individual post level. This is a trade-off for better accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom