• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Straw Deals in VT

There's a small gun show in Brattleboro, VT this weekend and I'd like to take two pistols with me to possibly sell. If I sell to a private party do I have to go through a dealer for the transfer? Is a signed bill of sale enough?

There's a small gun show in Brattleboro, VT this weekend and I'd like to take two pistols with me to possibly sell. If I sell to a private party do I have to go through a dealer for the transfer? Is a signed bill of sale enough?

You can not do a private sale across state lines -- it must go through an FFL. In addition, since you are selling handguns, that sale must go through an FFL in the state of residence of the buyer. So if you want to sell them to a VT resident, you must go through a VT FFL. If you want to sell them to a NH resident, it must go through a NH FFL (which might be hard to do at a VT gun show).

I don't know why you titled this thread "straw deals". A strawman sale is something different (and also very illegal).

You can not do a private sale across state lines -- it must go through an FFL. In addition, since you are selling handguns, that sale must go through an FFL in the state of residence of the buyer. So if you want to sell them to a VT resident, you must go through a VT FFL. If you want to sell them to a NH resident, it must go through a NH FFL (which might be hard to do at a VT gun show).

I don't know why you titled this thread "straw deals". A strawman sale is something different (and also very illegal).

I thought for handguns it needs to go from his FFL in NH to the FFL in VT, then to the buyer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I thought for handguns it needs to go from his FFL in NH to the FFL in VT, then to the buyer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

No, only one FFL must be involved. From the ATF FAQ:

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

Note that in this context, the word "licensee" means someone with an FFL.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b

Ah, thanks. I think I was mixing this up with buying from an FFL. You can transfer to any, but can only receive from one in your state (for Handguns).

Back
Top Bottom