• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Striped Bass Restrictions 2015

Wow. I'll have to mention this to my dad which will effect his bass charters this summer.

Wow. I'll have to mention this to my dad which will effect his bass charters this summer.

"Massachusetts: Massachusetts rejected the idea of special limits for the “for-hire” fleet and adopted a daily limit for striped bass of 1 fish, 28″ or larger."

The articles language is not the most clear, or maybe it's just me, but does the rejection of "special limits" refer to the new limit of 1, or "special" as in different than the new limit? I'm not sure if the for-hire fleet will remain at 2 per day or is now 1. I will need to read more into it and see.

The 28" length is killing the Striper, it's been 28" forever. Why don't they raise the length and keep it at 2 per.? I remember back when the length limit was 34", 36" and all we caught was monsters, a lot of them.

Overwhelming public comments supported 1@32", but MA DMF came up with the 1@28" . The vote was unanimous today. The new regs apply to "all recreational fishing" this includes the for hire vessels or charters. Clients will be limited to one fish per trip.
Other states such as RI & NY have come up with their own rules. Those states have 1@28 for rec guys but allow for hire clients to keep 2. RI hasn't officially voted this yet, but its coming. NJ proved its usual joke self by voting slots, charter differences across the board.

I remember looking into it last year, and 28in is roughly the size of newly breeding stripers. However, getting them right as they enter maturity doesn't seem like the best solution. Especially if you consider the occasional unscrupulous fishermen that may overlook an inch or so. Pushing the size to 30" or 32" would give them plenty of time to breed I would think.

If my record from last year is any indication of how this year will go I have no worries of breaking this law but hope springs eternal. [sad2] But let me tell you about the one that got away.....[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom