• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Striper season coming soon, who's ready?

It was a touch under 30# ,so I'm sure it was longer than 34". I don't carry a tape and the SW wind last night was pushing waves over that spot so a measurement wouldn't have been possible.

Oh my bad, I think it's the angle of the picture that made it look smaller than it is. Wow 30 pounder! Very nice.

Is everyone only going out at night? seems like everyone who's been catching any say it was at night time. I'll probably hit PI this weekend, the high tides are around 10am i think. I'd probably get there for about 8. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

I fish exclusively at night. I'm not a bait guy though unless it's eels. I look for structure that could hold fish and fish it at different stages of the tide to see , usually when you find them you can develop a pattern and catch consistently. Keep a log book, mark time/tide/wind etc. You'll soon be able to take some of the guess work out of it. I live on the south shore of MA and fish anywhere from Hull to South County RI depending on certain factors.

"Almost 30#" not quite, I consider a nice fish anything above 30#..

You have high standards. I consider any fish I catch a nice fish...lol

My skills or the lack there of are the main reason why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"...lmao...

You have high standards. I consider any fish I catch a nice fish...lol

My skills or the lack there of are the main reason why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"...lmao...
I try to target bigger fish, but have zero control over what actually hits it. Sometimes I think I've got it down , only to get humbled with a three day skunk fest.

I'm spending next week up in Acadia, Maine. I was planning on bringing along the fishing gear and kayak, but I'm thinking it might be too far north to catch any stripers yet. Does anyone have any experience? Is it too early and not worth the trouble?

If not stripers, are there any other decent saltwater fish this time of year I should plan for? I'm thinking the waters are probably too cold still.

There's alot of nice fish in Boston Harbor as of now, they might make their way up there by then. I've never been up that way though. Good luck.

Haha I know, bad timing to leave Boston when the stripers are hitting everywhere. I was going to freshwater fish, but the license was absurd (I want to say it was like $65 for the week).

I can never make sense of when my favorite fishing spots will start to produce this time of year. Seems like the last several years, the bite is on later and later. I pulled these two out of Cape Cod Bay two nights apart in early May of 2012. Since then I haven't pulled a keeper out of anywhere before July.

CHAPIN 5-12-12 002.jpg

CHAPIN 5-14-12 003.jpg

we shot 3 fish in the upper 20's/lower 30's yesterday in the race, i was all messed up from sinuses and being sick last week, couldn't dive much deeper than 30' without some serious pain. water was 56*, i was fine diving in a 3mm suit.

either way we had fun, its starting to pick up out there.

I'll be down your way a few nights this week.. They are there , and some nice ones too.

I hit one of my two favorite Bayside spots Friday night for a couple hours with chunk mackerel and got nothing but a fleeting nibble. I hit my other favorite spot yesterday afternoon, raked my own sand eels, stuck 'em on the hooks still squirming, and got ZILCH. I may go again tomorrow night, Thursday and Friday night, and as much as I can fit in on this coming weekend. The tail end of June and early July have been the best times to hit those spots the last couple years. It just blows my mind though, that places where I used to catch big mothers in May haven't given up anything until this time, in the last several years.

I hit one of my two favorite Bayside spots Friday night for a couple hours with chunk mackerel and got nothing but a fleeting nibble. I hit my other favorite spot yesterday afternoon, raked my own sand eels, stuck 'em on the hooks still squirming, and got ZILCH. I may go again tomorrow night, Thursday and Friday night, and as much as I can fit in on this coming weekend. The tail end of June and early July have been the best times to hit those spots the last couple years. It just blows my mind though, that places where I used to catch big mothers in May haven't given up anything until this time, in the last several years.

They have tails. They can swim. Past couple years I've been doing very well in a spot that hasn't produced in a few years, everything comes in cycles. I marked miles of bass yesterday, literally miles. .
ec891691c2a091de367d68a2fa0395e8.jpg
68e9f76e0e0a93bc8252713d0bdcb71b.jpg

They have tails. They can swim.

You don't say? [laugh]

I used to get out on a charter boat at least once a year. Now I pretty much only fish from shore with various kinds of bait. The way I see it I can pay about $120 for a charter and pretty much guarantee I'll be taking a few large freezer bags of striper home (or at least some Black Sea Bass), or pay nothing and see if I'll get lucky from shore on my own. Some guys don't even really like to eat striper, they just enjoy the thrill of the fight and will catch and release all day. I love grilled or baked striper, so I'm there to catch some freezer filler and once I fill my limit I'm done for the day.

You don't say? [laugh]

I used to get out on a charter boat at least once a year. Now I pretty much only fish from shore with various kinds of bait. The way I see it I can pay about $120 for a charter and pretty much guarantee I'll be taking a few large freezer bags of striper home (or at least some Black Sea Bass), or pay nothing and see if I'll get lucky from shore on my own. Some guys don't even really like to eat striper, they just enjoy the thrill of the fight and will catch and release all day. I love grilled or baked striper, so I'm there to catch some freezer filler and once I fill my limit I'm done for the day.

well I happen to own a charter boat, and plan on setting up a group buy within the next couple days. so far most weekends are still open id love the opportunity to take you one day! next spring i plan on offering after work seabass special charters as well, i will keep you posted.

I hate that I have to work and my dad's busy on his charters almost everyday[crying] FML

Just texted me a few min ago with a picture of this slob a guy on his charter landed. 48" 44#!!
Couple miles offshore from Gloucester using live macs.
View attachment 139696

well I happen to own a charter boat, and plan on setting up a group buy within the next couple days. so far most weekends are still open id love the opportunity to take you one day! next spring i plan on offering after work seabass special charters as well, i will keep you posted.

I live on Cape Cod so that would be a bit of a hike for me to get to Gloucester for a charter. There is a guy docked at Bass River that does charters I've been on many times over the years but he fills up fast. Funny though isn't it, a guy like me living on Cape his entire life complaining that he can't get a tight line this time of year. [laugh] (besides the two schoolies I've got so far this year)

I hate that I have to work and my dad's busy on his charters almost everyday[crying] FML

Just texted me a few min ago with a picture of this slob a guy on his charter landed. 48" 44#!!
Couple miles offshore from Gloucester using live macs.
View attachment 139696

Holy sheeet. That sucker has a Social Security #. Nice fish.

I caught a nice Blue on my sailboat just off Cleveland Light in Buzzards Bay on Sunday. Not sure the weight but it measured 31" definitely not a snapper. Thought it pretty early to see one this size. Also it was alone no baitfish jumping and no birds diving...

I am on Cape Cod as well, right now Im running from Truro but I have a trailer and can go just about anywhere.... lol, I am not his father....

Put my buddies kid on his first striper he rigged hooked and fought himself, his father was so proud. Also got my brother into some nice fish as well
61b6e71957fc037d9538a6ea17530179.jpg
ed67eb048f81ef246d1e5ef2239d32b7.jpg
5b1a846ed21ae9bde93c178f382c52f0.jpg
2e4fc76d5acc90e293f159bca77457e1.jpg

Opening day of the 2015 Massachusetts commercial striped bass fishery.
0372cf9efb8947065039f57ac97bead9.jpg
4adcb79f89f9a5efb4bd779b7d1f43dd.jpg
15 fish by 9 AM 279 pounds total what a great way to start the season!!!!

3 times in the past week I've been to several of my favorite spots Bayside with friends. All of us were using the exact same bait and rigs, and 3 times my buddies have caught nice keepers and I either got skunked or just schoolies. [laugh] That's the way it goes. Saturday my buddy pulled a fat 38" out of a tiny tidal river using fresh sand eels that I had just raked for three of us. My other buddy and myself caught NOTHING. [sad2]

291 lbs the top water action was incredible! Hand feeding fish from the boat literally. I bought a 1080P waterproof camera for next time I bet it won't happen again though now I have one my poor brother was best after that
c655170194449244e53576195c517916.jpg
ef753c85147c352f67f5b3ea1874dbb7.jpg
891b84f19b5194f4c51038677ae4de6d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom