Stripped receiver set classified as a handgun

So I finally managed to pick up the AWS 308 receiver set from the group buy. Show my LTC, provide my pin, fill out the paperwork, all is smooth until the shop calls NICS. Turns out that the transfer option is no longer available, an hour and 15 minutes on hold, shop gets told that they must handle the transfer as a handgun purchase. This results in it having to be inputted into the Mass system as well. My question to the shop was that since the lower has now been registered does this nullify the need on my part to fill out the F10 once the receiver is assembled and capable of firing a round. He did not have an answer. This had been the first time he had run into this problem. However the rep at NICS told him that they had been running into the problem all week and didn't have an answer either other than that all lower receiver transfers now had to be handled as a handgun transfer. Anyone have any ideas or also run into the same problem?

I think either the NICS agent or the shop, or both, are confused.

Receivers are classified as "other" by ATF. When the shop calls it in, "transfer of other" is what I'd expect to hear. "Transfer of handgun" would be incorrect.

That said, the same rules, federally, for transferring a handgun apply - ie. must be at least 21, must be a resident of the state in which the FFL is located, etc. This has no bearing on MA law - a receiver is not a "firearm" under the MGL's, and therefore no FA-10 is required.

How did the shop do a FA10 on a receiver? No barrel length, caliber, etc. I strongly suspect that the shop employee was extremely confused about what he needed to do.

How did the shop do a FA10 on a receiver? No barrel length, caliber, etc. I strongly suspect that the shop employee was extremely confused about what he needed to do.

Not uncommon. Four Seasons is another shop that FA10s stripped receiver. That's the reason why I don't go there anymore.

Last edited:
Not uncommon. Four Seasons is another shops that FA10s stripped receivers. That's the reason why I don't go there anymore.
Stupid. You'd think someone from the state would mention that they're filling out the forms incorrectly since you have no idea what caliber or barrel length the completed firearm is going to be. Not to mention that they're filling out a FA10 on something that isn't a firearm according to the state.

Stupid. You'd think someone from the state would mention that they're filling out the forms incorrectly since you have no idea what caliber or barrel length the completed firearm is going to be. Not to mention that they're filling out a FA10 on something that isn't a firearm according to the state.

I don't see why the state would complain - the objective is to gather information about gun owners and what they might own. I don't think they actually give a damn about anything other than make model and serial.

"Other" was added to "handgun" and "long gun" a few years ago - apparently to prevent stripped lowers form being bought out of state as "long guns".

I think either the NICS agent or the shop, or both, are confused.

Receivers are classified as "other" by ATF. When the shop calls it in, "transfer of other" is what I'd expect to hear. "Transfer of handgun" would be incorrect.

That said, the same rules, federally, for transferring a handgun apply - ie. must be at least 21, must be a resident of the state in which the FFL is located, etc. This has no bearing on MA law - a receiver is not a "firearm" under the MGL's, and therefore no FA-10 is required.

Definitely the agent was confused. Shop however did list it as "other" but was told that "other" was no longer an option hence the hour plus wait to speak to a customer service rep just to be told that it now had to be processed as a handgun.

Couldn't answer any of questions. No barrel length or whether it was high cap or not. Did go through though. We were both dumbfounded by the whole process.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why the state would complain - the objective is to gather information about gun owners and what they might own. I don't think they actually give a damn about anything other than make model and serial.

Shop owner said as much.

Definitely the agent was confused. Shop however did list it as "other" but was told that "other" was no longer an option hence the hour plus wait to speak to a customer service rep just to be told that it now had to be processed as a handgun.

That's ****ed. Well, I'll be getting a receiver soon and I'll let you know if I have any such bullshit. I'm thinking the ATF had a collective brain fart, because a change like that would require a public statement from the ATF to FFLs across the entire country.

That's ****ed. Well, I'll be getting a receiver soon and I'll let you know if I have any such bullshit. I'm thinking the ATF had a collective brain fart, because a change like that would require a public statement from the ATF to FFLs across the entire country.

Just go to an FFL that know what they are doing. I've been using Johnny at Precision Point for my transfers.

"Other" was added to "handgun" and "long gun" a few years ago - apparently to prevent stripped lowers form being bought out of state as "long guns".

To add a little more precision: the "type" is "handgun", "long gun (rifles or shotguns), or "other firearm (frame, receiver, etc.)".

Pistol grip shotguns are "other", because "shotgun" is defined by federal law as being designed to fire from the shoulder. Any firearm without a butt stock can't be a rifle or shotgun, but with a barrel length over 18" and overall length over 28", it's not a handgun, either; it's not NFA, hence "other firearm".

If this really was the response from NICS, someone on the other end of the phone is wrong.

MA isn't a POC state, so we can't blame it on the state.

Just go to an FFL that know what they are doing. I've been using Johnny at Precision Point for my transfers.
Wasn't an issue with the FFL but, like I said , it was the NICS rep that was the problem.

To add a little more precision: the "type" is "handgun", "long gun (rifles or shotguns), or "other firearm (frame, receiver, etc.)".

Pistol grip shotguns are "other", because "shotgun" is defined by federal law as being designed to fire from the shoulder. Any firearm without a butt stock can't be a rifle or shotgun, but with a barrel length over 18" and overall length over 28", it's not a handgun, either; it's not NFA, hence "other firearm".

If this really was the response from NICS, someone on the other end of the phone is wrong.

MA isn't a POC state, so we can't blame it on the state.
I was right there as he got the same response from 2 separate NICS reps. The second rep told him that the option for "other" had just recently been removed. Complete BS but unfortunately true. We all agreed that the reps needed to be better informed as they were also in the dark about the change.

All good and well, I know it well as I just filled it out, but nonetheless this does not negate the fact that the NICS reps said that "other" was not an option. On Saturday afternoon, September 26th, the only options as per 2 separate NICS reps was either long gun or hand gun.

Wasn't an issue with the FFL but, like I said , it was the NICS rep that was the problem.

I was right there as he got the same response from 2 separate NICS reps. The second rep told him that the option for "other" had just recently been removed. Complete BS but unfortunately true. We all agreed that the reps needed to be better informed as they were also in the dark about the change.

All good and well, I know it well as I just filled it out, but nonetheless this does not negate the fact that the NICS reps said that "other" was not an option. On Saturday afternoon, September 26th, the only options as per 2 separate NICS reps was either long gun or hand gun.

As I said, someone on the other end of the phone was wrong.

Such a change doesn't happen without a proposed Rule in the CFR.

OP, if your FFL cares about not submitting useless, not required paperwork and completing a 4473 incorrectly, they should probably contact someone at the ATF to find out WTF the NICS people were thinking.

Back
Top Bottom