Student wearing empty holster cited for 'threatening the safety of campus'

I'm lucky that I don't get written up for the targets on my wall in my dorm. It pays off to be in a band with the RA

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

nice power trip the cops were on...I'm sure that there was much more going on in that campus that they could have focused on if they didn't have tunnel vision

The "citation" was an internal one for alleged violation of a campus policy and will not doubt be heard in a kangaroo court.

I don't now how it works in MA, but if you are going to give people sworn police officer status, and the power that goes with it, they should only be enforcing laws, not the policies of a private business (except when it comes to things like trespass).

I never had an issue with Umass Amherst cops really. They didn't bother you over small crap.

The "citation" was an internal one for alleged violation of a campus policy and will not doubt be heard in a kangaroo court.

I don't now how it works in MA, but if you are going to give people sworn police officer status, and the power that goes with it, they should only be enforcing laws, not the policies of a private business (except when it comes to things like trespass).

The University of South Alabama is not a private business. It's a government institution.

Yes, the colleges all use kangaroo courts to deal with campus stuff.

However, the primary job of campus police is to keep the students safe and enforce CAMPUS rules, not to play "major city cop". Yes, they do get involved in theft, assaults and murders these days but that isn't their major focus. I say that as someone who worked for BC Police as an Aux PO (but worked with their FT sworn POs) and friends with their FT prosecutor (now retired) for many years.

I hate to generalize people just trying to make a buck, but yeah, the majority of campus cops I've run into never made the real PD cut and tend to be bitter *******s.

When I was an undergrad at NU I was friendly with all the campus cops including the chief. They didn't carry back then and I don't think they were sworn LEOs at that time either. Some were really good guys and some were real a-holes . . . the same that I saw at BCPD and even in my municipal PD.

Many campus cops do their career there so they can put themselves and their children thru college for FREE! That was my buddy's motivator as well. They got paid well and in BC's case they do more and better training than municipal officers (much bigger budget thanks to sports TV/radio rights bringing tons of cash to the college each year). Do the math wrt putting 2-4 kids thru college for free vs. re-mortgaging your home each year, paying off those loans until you are 75 yo and having each of your kids graduate with >$100K in loans.

onoz_omg.gif

Back
Top Bottom