• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid Problem

A while ago i got a glock slide, sans sights. After watching some youtube videos of loads of average joes like me installing sights with just a nylon hammer and a tabletop i gave it a try. No luck. Rear sight slid in maybe half way to where it should have gone and wouldnt go any further. I put wverything back in the box and decided to so something about it another time.

Tonight was that time.

I decided to remove the sight armed only with my trusty nylon hammer. No luck. Wont budge.

How do i get this damn sight out???

Help, please.

Does it have a set screw like the one I installed did? Sounds like that may not be backout out enough. I used a nylon punch and hammer to install mine no problem

Didn't you post A thread about this a while back? Or maybe it was someone else. But I thought the general consensus was pay a professional.

Didn't you post A thread about this a while back? Or maybe it was someone else. But I thought the general consensus was pay a professional.
It was me. I asked about that when i was trying to get the sight in. Thought id try to take it back out. If the collective recommends a pro im happy to go that route at this point.

Aren't the sights on a Glock plastic? I'd think that bashing them with a hammer would damage them. As has already been suggested, get a sight pusher or hire someone.

Don't know shit about Glocks....Glocks..eeeewwww and all......but does it go in from one side and not the other?

My sight experience is vice, brass punch, decent hammer. Sometimes on aftermarket you have to fit the new one by taking a little off it at a time.

I have a Glock Sight Pusher too, I'm in Nashua, NH

Malodave

ETA Mine is a MGW brand for standard Glock Slides and Angled Sights.

Last edited:
I will take the time to give a serious answer, even though this thread seems like it might be a parody of previous threads.

There are two main ways to get professional results. Either become a professional, or hire one. Ok, you don't really need to become a professional, but you need to put a serious investment into time and tools. You need to spend some time studying the subject. And you need to invest in quality tools, and allow the time to learn to use them. For many people, this learning process is fun. But if it sounds tedious, then hiring a professional will be the fastest, and CHEAPEST, way to get good results.

Also, the internet is full of bad advice, with lots of poor recommendations to "do it yourself." And installing your own sights is a good example of this problem. Dovetail sights often require hand fitting. And it takes a certain feel to know how tight is "right." Otherwise, they can either fall out, become jammed, or even damage the dovetail.

And yes, lots of times installing sights is pretty easy, and just a little more pressure from a sight pusher makes short work of it. But keep in mind that people who screwed something up don't boast about it on the internet. So many of the people saying that something is easy are a self selected group who just happened to get parts that fit well.

I am not saying that installing sights is difficult, or that you should not do it, but just think about the process. And I say this as someone who owns a dovetail file, but thinks very carefully about when to use it.

You hammered a sight in halfway, it got stuck, and now asking how to remove it? Just go to a pro this sounds hopeless.

I’m a buy-once, cry-once kinda guy myself... I’ve bitched plenty about having to pay a professional to do something that works out in the end to be a simple 5 minute job — because I’m cheap. But I’ve never complained about that investment because professionals shouldn’t F*ck up my sh*t the way I would since I don’t have experience in doing.

2 or 3 guys in this thread alone have offered to assist with their equipment — make friends, be polite and post positive feedback when done. Pay it forward by offering a karma or helping some out in need in the future.

2 or 3 guys in this thread alone have offered to assist with their equipment
yeah, that's how i did my first one...someone offered me the use of theirs. i got it, used it, test fired at the range and returned it in 24 hrs. then a few years later, i bought it off the guy! thanks jason [laugh] 7 rear sight swap outs later and counting...

The Glock factory dovetail is is not straight - it is very slightly hour glass shaped. The sights are intended to deform slightly to fit in the hourglass so they stay in place under sustained firing. Metal sights address this issue by either being hollow (giving the sight a bit of compressability), or by being sized to fit the narrow part of the channel and having a setscrew for locking in place.

The old Glock factory sight pusher was great; the new one is junk. The instructor at a Glock armorer course told me "the new one is junk, Glock will replace it for free as many times as you break it". Something about the patent or the supplier of the old style dying off. The new factory unit is about 2x2x2 inches; the old one was more like 6x4x1 and required a different one for small and large slides (the old one pre-dated the very narrow slide G42 and G43).

Back
Top Bottom