• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid things gun counter clerks say

Wanted to rent a Ruger LC9s at a LGS that also has an indoor range. I was told that the Ruger LC9s is not allowed in MA and therefore they didn't rent them out. I said, hey, Pullman arms has them is stock. Guy said, hey, if they're willing to sell you an illegal gun, go get it. So i did.

Last year on Superbowl Sunday, a clerk at Shooters outpost in Hooksett nh told me its a NH law to show ID to buy ammo.When I said no its not she said its an ATF law. I left the ammo on the counter and never went back.

Last week I watched as a customer inquired about the slide cuts on a Glock 17C in the gun case. The sales guy told him, "they're to dissipate heat". I guess my feeling was/is that it was obvious heat would come out, but I thought the main point of them was muzzle rise reduction and felt recoil reduction, and the heat dissipation was more a by product.

Last edited:
Weymouth was the funniest. FID can't buy 22lr according to the old guy.and the kid there said gun racks are illegal I told him if its a non-large capacity rifle/shotgun it can be in the cab of a truck unloaded with a trigger lock(not the brightest idea but cool and legal)and I showed him the law and he still wouldn't listen.I won't even get into the time DICK'S sold shotgun shells to a FID but not a LTC

Weymouth was the funniest. FID can't buy 22lr according to the old guy.and the kid there said gun racks are illegal I told him if its a non-large capacity rifle/shotgun it can be in the cab of a truck unloaded with a trigger lock(not the brightest idea but cool and legal)and I showed him the law and he still wouldn't listen.I won't even get into the time DICK'S sold shotgun shells to a FID but not a LTC

Trigger lock not required until you exit the vehicle. Unloaded is the only stipulation in law.

"Rifles and Shotguns: “No person... shall have in his possession or under his control in or on any vehicle or aircraft a loaded shotgun or rifle.. Chapter 131, section 63"

Me do you have any of these magpuls in black and can you guys pin the stock too so when I come back I can just pick up the rifle. Clerk yeah sure np
Good pin it all the way collapsed
Clerk whoa we can do that it's illegal and be careful who you say that around.
Me get a tape measure
Clerk why what good will that do all stocks have to be pinned fully extended.
Me never mind I'll do it myself
Clerk I'm just looking out for you. You can get in serious trouble for saying that
Me ill be back Friday when I have the time to do the nics check

I'm sure that somewhere in MA some "ex-spurt" gun clerk has told someone that it is illegal to use pre-ban (pre-9/13/1994) ammo in a post-ban gun!!

I just know that some twit out there has this level of stupidity!

When I was 17 or 18 got into a full out argument with a guy in Walmart over Archery and Primitive firearm stamp. I had already bought my sporting license for fishing and before hunting season went in to get them and he wouldn't sell me them because I didn't have the license on me. I am guessing it was because I was a kid but after arguing that there was no such law as he was telling me I had to go get my father and go back. I kept telling him to show me the law in the abstracts and he wouldn't even open the book so its pretty clear he just didn't want to sell it to a kid. As a young and full of piss kid I fully enjoyed the argument.

Last year on Superbowl Sunday, a clerk at Shooters outpost in Hooksett nh told me its a NH law to show ID to buy ammo.When I said no its not she said its an ATF law. I left the ammo on the counter and never went back.
he was half right. Id may be requested for proof of age. Need to be 18. Not atf though.

Not sure how true this is, when I got my savage 11/111 long range hunter the FA10 classified it as a high capacity firearm because it has a 5 round detachable magazine. I told the nice lady that its a bolt action and its not high capacity (5rounds max) and she said well you can get an after market magazine. I said find me a higher capacity magazine chambered in 338 lapua magnum that will fit this action and I will donate this rifle.

I walked out of the store with a 338 lapua that is now a high capacity firearm of 5 rounds.....

Not sure how true this is, when I got my savage 11/111 long range hunter the FA10 classified it as a high capacity firearm because it has a 5 round detachable magazine. I told the nice lady that its a bolt action and its not high capacity (5rounds max) and she said well you can get an after market magazine. I said find me a higher capacity magazine chambered in 338 lapua magnum that will fit this action and I will donate this rifle.

I walked out of the store with a 338 lapua that is now a high capacity firearm of 5 rounds.....
What? That's insane. I sure don't know of any large capacity magazines for the Savage 111 series. Even if you get past that, by MA state law, a large capacity firearm has to be a semiautomatic.

What? That's insane. I sure don't know of any large capacity magazines for the Savage 111 series. Even if you get past that, by MA state law, a large capacity firearm has to be a semiautomatic.

hense this thread. At some stores AAA guns in springfield the clerk may know how to shoot a few firearms but has not been properly trained in the laws and regulations. When I was trying to have her change it the fat guy next to her said 'look do you want this gun or not'. they also never called me to let me know it was in stock, I had to call them and got this 'ya we got a rifle in the other day why don't you come check if its yours.'

it's high capacity because you could dump a shitload of loose .22LR into that mag--it would definitely fit more than 10.

Years ago, Glen looked down at me from his imposing height of 6'4"(?), (he was a big, beefy guy working for CL&P), and said "Boy, you just ain't right".

Please imagine that he's now standing there saying the same thing to you...
K-thx.

yup they asked me for my ID, showed it to them then asked for my mass LTC, I declined, she said its state law and she needs to see my LTC.. i went rileys...

i do masonry for a living and have never drawn on any of my customers... yet [rofl]

Oh, you said you were "behind" the counter, so I thought you worked at a gun shop. But still, has anyone ever been to a gun shop and *not* been swept? It's a main reason I don't go to gun shops.

Oh, you said you were "behind" the counter, so I thought you worked at a gun shop. But still, has anyone ever been to a gun shop and *not* been swept? It's a main reason I don't go to gun shops.
I had a lovely gentleman pick up an AK47 off the rack at Rileys earlier this year, fail to clear it and point it directly at my head. He didn't understand why I got pissed...lol.

i didnt say that, must have been someone else. if i was behind the counter i would be too busy stealing a machine gun and ammo to notice [rofl]

Regarding showing ID at Shooter's (or elsewhere in a free state), don't they need to check for residency? Is it legal for them to sell ammo to someone from MA who doesn't have an LTC?

I was at a LGS last year and some guy asked to check out a shotgun (I think it was a Mossberg 590). The guy takes it and then proceeds to rack and dry fire on people throughout the store. Like aim at one person, pull the trigger, pump then point at someone else and pull the trigger, etc. He did this 6 or 7 times.

Regarding showing ID at Shooter's (or elsewhere in a free state), don't they need to check for residency? Is it legal for them to sell ammo to someone from MA who doesn't have an LTC?

Yes, it's legal. Mass laws only apply in MA.

1289119-this_thread_again.jpg

Back
Top Bottom