Stupid things gun counter clerks say

Was part of this at a LGS:
Customer asked to see a glock, not sure which one, employee hands it over. Customer proceeds to take a magazine out of his pocket and insert it into gun and rack the slide. At that point, I dove behind a safe (didn't have my permit yet), 3 employees, a LEO on break picking up some ammo, and an old lady drew on him. I think he shit himself, he stated "wanted to see if it fit." The worst part about it was that the magazine was loaded with ammo [shocked].

The following is also the reason why I've never gone back to this store.

Stoneham - Collector's Gallery. They had a used S&W 41 (which I was in the market for). It looked like it might have a little rust on it, so I wanted to see it taken apart. I asked the clerk if he would disassemble (as in for cleaning) so I could see the inside and he refused. He said it was really complicated and involved taking the grips off. I'm thinking it was because I'm a woman. So I bought my 41 at Four Seasons where I'm always treated with respect.

While I was out doing my weekly search for ammo... I stopped at the local Wally World. Managed to find 9mm for $14, so I thought I'd scoop it up. I asked the clerk to open the case for me. He said to me "you can't buy that without a license ya know". I indicated that I have one and took out my LTC. He says "you need an FID card, I don't think I can take that... I'll have to check". Took a little longer than expected but at least I left with some ammo.

Stoneham - Collector's Gallery. They had a used S&W 41 (which I was in the market for). It looked like it might have a little rust on it, so I wanted to see it taken apart. I asked the clerk if he would disassemble (as in for cleaning) so I could see the inside and he refused. He said it was really complicated and involved taking the grips off. I'm thinking it was because I'm a woman. So I bought my 41 at Four Seasons where I'm always treated with respect.
I had a similar experience (many years ago, but I have a long memory). I took a friend to CCG who was new to shooting and buying a stainless Colt 1911. When I asked the clerk "we'd like to inspect it. May I field strip or would you prefer to", I was told "Sir, that gun is not getting field stripped until it is paid for". I then asked "what if we find a bit ugly tooling mark inside after stripping it?". The answer was "Sir, that will be between you and the manufacturer, as we do not take guns back.".

It's very important to have the grips removed from any used gun you are considering buying, especially a blued one. I've seen used guns in 95%+ condition that were corroded under the grips because the original owner never removed them when cleaning and moisture made it in under the panels.

Last edited:
Young kid behind the counter at Ron's Gun Shop in Dracut: "They don't make 1911s in 9mm"

Walmart Hudson New Hampshire: I was buying a box of clays and the lady called the manager over to ask if the price (about 8.00) was for the box or each target. Then asked if I had a ID to purchase them.

Said when I was having my 4th firearm in 8 months transferred after I had dropped $4k for items in his shop in the same amount of time.
"This internet thing . . . I don't like it. I'm not making any money off of you."

-Walter Duddy
Law Enforcement Equipment

Then don't sell a saiga 762 for $900 when I can get it on the internet for $400. You dikfor.

I would love to see the look on a FUDDS face if he pulled that out on the skeet/trap range. [rofl]

I've gotten to see that look a few times when guys bring shotguns like that to Del Norte Rod and Gun - a skeet and trap place just below the OR/CA border. Lot of ancient old Fudds there, but some of the nicest people around. They take it in good humor, then usually offer to let people shoot their many thousand dollar fancy over unders.

Every clerk thinks he's an expert, as do most customers who are not new to the gun world. It's rare that one actually is, and when such it the case, it's generally only in certain areas.

Was it one of those times when you can see the ammo right in front of you?
Had some thing like that happen at daddy's junkie music. Needed strings for my acoustic bass guitar.
Clerk "they don't make them"
Me" I just bought my bass from this store a month ago"
Clerk" you mean a upright bass, they don't make a acoustic bass guitar "
Me "you ****ing dumbass what are those two fenders sitting on the walk"
Clerk"o they just use normal bass strings then"
Me " turn the **** around and hand me those strings "
Manger watching the whole time " sorry he's a drummer"

Haha, drummers are stupid :p

I play french horn.

Bass Pro. Kid behind the counter told the customer that the U.S Military only shoots to injure the enemy and not to kill them. This way you get more enemies off the battlefield when they have to carry their buddy off. Now I'm pretty sure there was once a saying an enemy that is still breathing is still my enemy but hey, what do I know. Haha

Bass Pro. Kid behind the counter told the customer that the U.S Military only shoots to injure the enemy and not to kill them. This way you get more enemies off the battlefield when they have to carry their buddy off. Now I'm pretty sure there was once a saying an enemy that is still breathing is still my enemy but hey, what do I know. Haha

He got that info from reading why the .gov created the 5.56 round and thought that applied to all rules of engagement. I'm picturing a sniper shooting an insurgent in the foot with a .50 to make sure that he survived (as he looses the rest of the leg). [rofl]

Customer looking at firearm in hand asks clerk:

"Can you do any better?"

Clerk responds "Sure I can make it X amount" (usually $100-$200 higher) and smiles like he just said the most brilliant thing ever [rolleyes].

Customer smiles too [thinking], and then immediately thinks: "I'll just go down to xyz gun shop 10 mins away where I saw it at the price I wanted it for".

Customer hands gun back to clerk, looks around to see if he should buy that other stuff he needed or just buy it all together at his next stop.

Customer walks out without spending a dime, figures shop just doesn't need the money.

Customer wonders why he drove close to 40 minutes to go to a gun shop when he could have just driven 15 to GFA Arms Tec, and had a good time chatting with Greg, and had gotten the same or better price anyways.

Last edited:
Was part of this at a LGS:
Customer asked to see a glock, not sure which one, employee hands it over. Customer proceeds to take a magazine out of his pocket and insert it into gun and rack the slide. At that point, I dove behind a safe (didn't have my permit yet), 3 employees, a LEO on break picking up some ammo, and an old lady drew on him. I think he shit himself, he stated "wanted to see if it fit." The worst part about it was that the magazine was loaded with ammo [shocked].

ho-lee shit.

almost darwin'd himself right there.

"gonna have to ask you to leave, sir."

Talking about newer gen 3+ glocks with a clerk.

clerk "You have the 10 round mags"
me "Yes but my prebans will work just fine in it"
clerk "You cannot use prebans in that. You cannot use preban magazines in a postban gun. You will then have an illegal firearm."
Me "Oh really..."

Some times you just don't want to hurt peoples feelings, especially when you are working on a negotiation.

He obviously non negotiated himself, right out of business.. Good job, he showed all of those pesky wanting to negotiate customers, didn't he?

Well, I think he was shut down by the ATF, but that shop wasn't exactly a hotbed of business. It was many years ago, but it more or less went into the shitter.

-Mike

Well, I think he was shut down by the ATF, but that shop wasn't exactly a hotbed of business. It was many years ago, but it more or less went into the shitter.

-Mike

Sounds a lot like Good Ole Bob from Baystate Arms in S. boro (or Framingham)..
he was a master negotiator too..

Well if that was a consignment piece, I could see them refusing to disassemble it. I wouldn't want a gun I put on consignment disassembled without my permission. Field stripping is one thing, but I that's going a bit beyond. What if someone damages the screws or grips in the process by accident?

That being said, I literally just bought a used gun there today and field stripped it before I did. Nobody had an issue with it. I always like to ask before I dry fire one though, new or used.

His store was still open a few weeks ago.

Hmm, maybe the bastard survived the audit then? Who knows. For awhile his shop was closed or something recently, and the report here was because of fed issues.

-Mike

Well if that was a consignment piece, I could see them refusing to disassemble it. I wouldn't want a gun I put on consignment disassembled without my permission. Field stripping is one thing, but I that's going a bit beyond. What if someone damages the screws or grips in the process by accident?
Removing the grips is not as necessary on a new gun as a used one. A decent shop that is concerned about marring screws or grips will offer to take them off for the serious buyer. Grip removal, like field stripping, is part of the normal user maintenance process. Detail stripping, popping the side plate on a revolver or driving out roll pins on a Sig is in a completely different league.

I was told by one shop that I couldn't order a Daniel defense or lmt AR because it wasn't compliant. I should've asked him why most local gun smiths offer an AWB compliance package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom