sturgeon

Did anyone know sturgeon jump? I would not have believed it without seeing it with my own eyes. I was going to go chase charlie tuna today, but mother nature had other ideas. We could not make it very far so we decided to fish the mouth of the merrimac. I saw four sturgeon come straight out of the water, and caught one. We decided to fish with sluggo's to try for at least a stripper. Pulled the hook on something big, got my but handed to me on something bigger, boated a bluefish, and released a sturgeon boat side. I did not know what to do so I grabbed the tail, my buddy came over to with the gaff in his hand, we had an audience, I panicked knowing the gaff was a bad idea and I dropped the thing. I knew I should not put it in the boat, but at least wanted a picture of the thing. And yes they jump. It is supposed to be a little understood spawning behavior. I had no idea. So just how endangered are these things? I saw four jump, and definitely hooked up with at least two of these beasts in about an hour. There must have been a ton of them there for that to happen. I would have rather a tuna, but it was an experience I will not soon forget.[smile]

Good call. They are listed as endangered as the short nosed sturgeon lives only in the Conneticut river and the Merrimac. Definitely would get into some trouble if you kept/gaffed it.

Back
Top Bottom