• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions for a 200yard spotting scope

Mostly going to use it for target shooting. Looking for suggestions on magnification and specifications.

For 200yards what is a good magnification 12-40 or 20-60 or other?
Also how does the field of view at 1000yards translate to a target at 200yards.

Last edited:
Kowa tends to be a very good value.

Kowa may be a good value, but only in the stratosphere - it's not a budget scope. The Celestron and Konus are units in the $200ish range and reputed to be good for the money; the Kowas typically run $800 plus (including the eyepiece which, with Kowa, is often sold separately).

I bought this one:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-30-90x90-spotting-scope-green-lens-with-tripod-ng309090g.html

I can see my 30 caliber bullet hole at 600 yards. Comes with a full size tripod, but bought a cheapo desk top type tripod at Cabelas to use with it when I am laying on the ground shooting.

The size of the objective lens (front lens) and the aperture lens (rear lens) are the key factors. For $139, it's not perfect, but it's cheap, and it works.
opplanet-ncstar-30-90x90-spotting-scope-green-lens-with-tripod-ng309090g.jpg

Mostly going to use it for target shooting. Looking for suggestions on magnification and specifications.

For 200yards what is a good magnification 12-40 or 20-60 or other?
Also how does the field of view at 1000yards translate to a target at 200yards.

200 yards is pretty close by spotting scope standards. Any power over 12x will make .22 holes visible. As for field of view, it's linear, so if you can see X feet at 1000 yards you will be able to see X/5 feet at 200 (e.g., 15 foot diameter at 1000 yards represents 3 foot diameter at 200 for a fixed cone of visibility). From camera lenses to binoculars, rifle scopes and spotting scopes one thing is always true: good glass is expensive. But, like I said, 200 yards is not very far, and a lesser scope will do just fine.

Edit to add: great glass will allow you to see .22 holes at 200 yards at 12x, but not-so-great glass might not cut it depending on the target, light, etc. At 20x and above you should be fine with just about any functional spotting scope.

Last edited:
Kowa may be a good value, but only in the stratosphere - it's not a budget scope. The Celestron and Konus are units in the $200ish range and reputed to be good for the money; the Kowas typically run $800 plus (including the eyepiece which, with Kowa, is often sold separately).

In particular, I was thinking of this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276098-REG/Kowa_TSN_601_TSN_601_2_4_60mm_Spotting_Scope.html

It may be more than a Celestron but it's less than $800 too.

In particular, I was thinking of this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276098-REG/Kowa_TSN_601_TSN_601_2_4_60mm_Spotting_Scope.html

It may be more than a Celestron but it's less than $800 too.

It's not that much less than $800 to get an operational Kowa.

Did you note "Requires eyepiece"? These are sold separately with Kowa.

The scope you point out is $406; an eyepiece from the same vendor will run $215 to $370, putting it in the $621 - $776 price range.

More money buys better perofrmance at high magnifications, less chromatic abberation, better construction, etc. If I were a serious competitive shooter, I'd get a Kowa (they look cheap compared to Swarvoskis), but I expect a Celestron or Konus is good for the occasional 200 yard sight in. I am leaning towards Celestron since it's waterproof (Konus isn't) and has a lifetime warranty (Konus is only a year or two).

Last edited:
It's not that much less than $800 to get an operational Kowa.

Did you note "Requires eyepiece"? These are sold separately with Kowa.

The scope you point out is $406; an eyepiece from the same vendor will run $215 to $370, putting it in the $621 - $776 price range.

More money buys better perofrmance at high magnifications, less chromatic abberation, better construction, etc. If I were a serious competitive shooter, I'd get a Kowa (they look cheap compared to Swarvoskis), but I expect a Celestron or Konus is good for the occasional 200 yard sight in. I am leaning towards Celestron since it's waterproof (Konus isn't) and has a lifetime warranty (Konus is only a year or two).

True, but I don't see a budget posted. With optics, as you note, it's hard to get around "you get what you pay for" though there are exceptions. I would suggest making sure you can return whatever you buy.

This one will do fine out to at least 600 yards and is probably the best value out there: http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html

It's not as rugged as a Kowa but the optics are pretty damn good considering it's about 1/4 of the price. Just don't bang it around too much. Great review from someone who really knows his stuff here: http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Bought a Konus on the recommendation of someone at my club, don't regret in the least

I also bought the Konus. Works well. I think you either go with the Konus or the Kowa depending on your budget. Don't forget to budget for a rock solid stand too.

Stop asking about magnification.

You should be paying for image clarity and light transmission.

My Kowa 601 (a fixed 25X scope) can resolve holes that cheap ass Celestrons, Konus, and Bushnells cannot at 45X.

Why? Because those scopes make the image dimmer than shit due to their crap china-made optics.

I'll take Japanese glass no matter what I have to pay. I'll take Japanese glass over German glass any day and twice on Sunday.

+1

...and controls quality. There may be a low-end Celestron that's clear enough for the job while at 45X, but focusing and staying on the target is going to drive you nuts.

Ask me how I know.

Quality gear: Pay once, cry once.

Stop asking about magnification.

He's looking for something to use on a 200 yard range. If he has no intention to shoot at longer range than he's wasting his money on a Kowa.

*shrug*

I have zero trouble seeing hits at 200 yards with mine, even in less than ideal lighting conditions. Expensive glass is certainly nice to have and if money is no object then sure, knock yourself out and buy Kowa, Swarovski or Nikon if that's what makes you happy. For someone who probably isn't planning to shoot at anything but paper at 200 yards, it might be a better choice to spend that money elsewhere.

I've had a hard time see .22 holes at 100 yards with a cheap scope at my range. Targets in the shade, sun in your eyes, you need all the scope you can get.

I've had a hard time see .22 holes at 100 yards with a cheap scope at my range. Targets in the shade, sun in your eyes, you need all the scope you can get.

Don't know if this is an old trick or not, but one of the old timers at my club suggested hanging a piece of brightly colored cloth, like a flourecent orange behind the target. Just staple along the top and let it flap in the breeze. On a sunny day I don't need the spotter, I can see the holes with my scope at 200 yards and they stand out beautifully. It doesn't work as good on an overcast day obviously, just a thought.

Don't know if this is an old trick or not, but one of the old timers at my club suggested hanging a piece of brightly colored cloth, like a flourecent orange behind the target. Just staple along the top and let it flap in the breeze. On a sunny day I don't need the spotter, I can see the holes with my scope at 200 yards and they stand out beautifully. It doesn't work as good on an overcast day obviously, just a thought.

Good advice for informal plinking, but isn't allowed at a competition.

if you wnat something for 200 yards, go to BJ. i saw one in Nashua the other day for $100, with tripod and metal case. That would work perfect for 200 yards. its has a lot of magnification (forgot the exact numbers).

but again, that is just good enough for having fun at the range. If you are planning on getting into competition in the future, you might as well spend the money now, instead of getting a cheap one now and an expensive one later.

if you wnat something for 200 yards, go to BJ. i saw one in Nashua the other day for $100, with tripod and metal case. That would work perfect for 200 yards. its has a lot of magnification (forgot the exact numbers).
QUOTE]

BJ has a 20-60x60mm spoting scope made by Meade. It has tripod, metal case, soft case included. It's only $59.99.

QUOTE]

BJ has a 20-60x60mm spoting scope made by Meade. It has tripod, metal case, soft case included. It's only $59.99.

then maybe it was $59.99 sorry about that. Even better.

Back
Top Bottom