• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

suggestions for a deep sea fishing trip

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
buddy of mine and our two sons (7yo) would like to plan on going deep sea fishing this year, somewhere around cape or somewhere else on the coast. He is traveling from PA so either way someone will drive a lot. I'm not sure about all the good seasons, I know blues run around August? Basically we were thinking about chartering a small boat to avoid typical shit show of larger deep sea boats with billions of people and constant tangled lines, nothing caught.

What do you guys suggest, place, time, what would a half day or day trip like that would run money wise? I'd hate for kids to have crappy experience first time around. We have done fresh water fishing, but out on a boat at sea it's a totally different experience, bigger fish, more exciting.

The Misty out of Point Judith RI has been my go to deep sea charter for 10-15 years. Always reach are daily limit on Striper and usually get our limit on Fluke as well. Great father son crew.

First time around, make sure no one will get sea sick in rough waters. Make it a 1/2 day, not too far out. A full day of 8 hours of puking in the galley makes for a miserable time.

Dramamine the kids could have an adverse affect. Fish tales out of Winthrop is pretty good. First time out for the kids keep the shore insight I take mine out all the time but if we go out past the point of them seeing shore it makes for a miserable trip go for 27ft or better

Last time I went deep sea fishing was with a Russian dude. He brought a big gatorade bottle full of vodka with red food coloring in it. I was puking red vodka off the side of the boat for hours.

My dad does deep sea charters out of Gloucester if interested. Also striped bass, tuna, shark etc. Been doing it forever and has a great 35 foot boat. Prices are very fair. I occasionally help him out when his other mate is busy.
Deep Sea Fishing, Striped Bass fishing MA, Tuna Fishing, Fishing Gloucester Massachusetts, Fishing charters Gloucester MA, Shark fishing Massachusetts

I recommend a half day of cod/haddock fishing. We also catch a lot of redfish, sometimes cusk, and pollack if you like them.

Last edited:
I've used Capt Andy for years fishing with my budddies.
We usually do a striper/blues trip but we've done a shark and tuna trip too. I haven't been in a few years since the changed the daily limit to 1 fish per person.

Maridee Charters

awesome, thank you for all the info guys! I'm still not sure what we should try then, I think strippers sound like fun, Also looks like booking a mo ahead would make sense.

In terms of getting sea sick, we haven't had a problem on smaller boats doing tours etc so I'm not too worried.

Lol at gatorade/vodka, cranberry juice bottles work great until vodka concentration makes it look not very red. In Russia "going fishing" pretty much means get away with a bunch of buddies to the country and getting shitfaced away from wives, probably not what they mean in Montana according to that movie.

I highly recommend Fire Escape Charters out of Plymouth. I have known Capt. Mark for many years and have fished with him numerous times, always a great trip. He is a Navy Vet and does a lot of veterans trips every year. If the fish are there, he will find them!
Good Luck!
Fire Escape Charters

Motion sickness can be strange. i curiois to see how i fair, even if it relentless as long as im rested. ill laugh it off.

awesome, thank you for all the info guys! I'm still not sure what we should try then, I think strippers sound like fun, Also looks like booking a mo ahead would make sense.

In terms of getting sea sick, we haven't had a problem on smaller boats doing tours etc so I'm not too worried.

Lol at gatorade/vodka, cranberry juice bottles work great until vodka concentration makes it look not very red. In Russia "going fishing" pretty much means get away with a bunch of buddies to the country and getting shitfaced away from wives, probably not what they mean in Montana according to that movie.

Years ago, a buddy sent me a link to a story, about Ruskie ice fishermen, who got stranded on a big chunk of ice, that started floating out to sea. Choppers arrived, but not all could get on for the first trip - fights broke out. The losers got put on the choppers, so that the winners could fish longer. [rofl]

I did a search for this, but didn't find it - however the other stories lend it credibility:

russia ice fishing fight helicopter rescue - Google Search

Back
Top Bottom