Suggestions for a fun paper target pistol match?

Mountain

NES Member
I'm more of a rifle competition guy, but to include the handgun folks I'd like to organize and schedule a fun pistol competition for my club. Constraints are that the range configuration dictates firing directly downrange only, at paper targets (we have no sidewalls).

Looking for some fun ideas given the paper targets. Rapid fire is OK at my range, so a time limit and mandatory reload would up the fun.

One thought was multiple bad guy & hostages targets. Maybe ~5 or 10 bad guys, 2 shots on each bad guy, reload after 5 (or 10) rounds minus 1 point for each hostage hit or extra shot on bad guy. Targets something like this?

e2394ec0ca8f832f5ff85e1e99c55581--target-shooting-shooting-range.jpg

I'd have to figure out a time limit that would be do-able but challenging.

My absolute favorite for a fun pistol match is a steel dueling tree, but until we complete some range improvements steel is no-go.

Thoughts? Thanks...

Use USPSA targets. Set some up with brown side as shooting side. And set some up with white side as shooting side. Have shooters divided into two groups. One side are the good guys and one side are the bad guys and they shoot the appropriate targets.

Use USPSA targets. Set some up with brown side as shooting side. And set some up with white side as shooting side. Have shooters divided into two groups. One side are the good guys and one side are the bad guys and they shoot the appropriate targets.

I like it! Has the fun aspect of the tree but on cardboard. Great idea.

Maybe two man teams- our club members are usually pretty good at teaming up for various activities.

edit- and Minus 2 points for each hit on the wooden frame, LOL.

Last edited:

Question:

Is the white side of a USPSA target more of a white or more of an off-white / buff color? Just wondering what color pasters to use.

The Black Death Challenge can be fun, especially for slow fire. It is a "know your limits" game. You can shoot at any size circle, BUT if you break out of a circle you lose ALL the points in that circle.

Link to .pdf
Black%20Death%20Challenge_zpsxfbnksd1.jpg

The Black Death Challenge can be fun, especially for slow fire. It is a "know your limits" game. You can shoot at any size circle, BUT if you break out of a circle you lose ALL the points in that circle.

Link to .pdf
Black%20Death%20Challenge_zpsxfbnksd1.jpg

I like it! Actually I was looking for something for a slow fire, know your limits match with blackpowder and slug guns next fall. Obviously need much bigger circles than this but I really like the concept. I might sub this over the annual 22LR benchrest match we do.

This (“Arto’s post) but home made with letters or numbers.

Spray paint letters or numbers of appropriate height for distance. Say 6 per 2x3 sheet (A-F)

Have team 1 call 3 letters for member of team 2 to shoot. Accuracy and time count. Most hits with fastest cumulative time wins.

I have always wanted to organize a wheres waldo sniper challenge with scoped .22's at 50 feet. Points for time it takes to locate and points for a clean hit. But im lazy and never made it happen...

I get a lot of ideas for targets at the dollar stores.
Picked up some pretty big dinosours and lots of other cheap items. Large sticks of chalk are a good option.

We used to do a bonus point round. Filled small plastic bottles with flour....maybe 3 out of 10 filled. Shooters could take a chance to hit powder.

People liked the blank rewards targets. Basically blank side facing shooter with random circles with different scores on thehe back side. Shoot 5 random shots into it and see your score on the back.
Shoot to you miss sections are fun.
Clay targets are always good.

Only did one team style shoot.
1st stage was draw from hat for target. Then another for how many shots. We used paper plates from 7-20 yards.
I dont know how we scored that. I think it was based on your number of shots.
Another was "batting" line up. Placed clay targets at 15 yards "batters up" shoot the clays 3 misses is a out 3 outs your team is done. Next teams up. You can go as many innings as you like.
80% of our little fun matches where slow fire. Maybe one or two timed events. Anything to challenging most people wont show up to play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom