• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions for best "Luggage" (rolling) case that can be a good Range Case/Range Bag (etc)

GlockJock

NES Member
I'm looking for a good luggage case, with wheels, that I can use as a good, adequate Range/Pistol/ammo case.
If you're asking yourself "Why a piece of "Luggage?" when there are gun cases/ammo cases (etc)??.. Cuz I've never found a Range Bag/Pistol Case that would satisfy my "needs" and/or "requirements" for a pretty good case...something easily transported/transportable, that can easily hold a few pistols, several mags, a thousand (or so) rounds of ammo, plus separate compartments for all the 'extras' that we like to take along on our range trips (glasses/ear protection/targets/etc etc/etc)...Separate compartments are (of course) good for various "stuff" that we like to keep, well, "separate" (cleaning stuff, mags, ammo etc etc etc)....
And as we all know, a good "range" case, an actual "range case/bag" is (usually) ridiculously overpriced, often cheap 'junk' and often doesn't provide everything we need (heavy duty protective shell, wheels) etc etc... I don't mind paying $$ for good things in life, but.. just hate settling for "Well, I guess this will have to do" or getting outright ripped off for cheap sh*t.

Thoughts?/Recommendations?/Advice?/(etc)?

Last edited:
Most luggage "bags" use wheels that are too small in diameter for use at a range, where your rolling path will be at best uneven pavement and more often gravel or dirt.

In all events, never try to fly with a bag that has served as a range bag. It will have enough contaminents embedded into it to set off sniffers.

If you feel a need to roll your range bag, how about a common Midway-style bag coupled with a typical two-wheeler hand truck, maybe even a fold up one?

Ozark Trail is a Walmart made-in-China brand. Is that a serious recommendation?

I have one of those Milwaukee packout rollers and it is pretty stout, with smooth rolling wheels. I use if for tools, not as a range box, but the load weights are comparable. It lacks internal dividers and organizers though.

One of the guys at my range use to have an ARMY surplus tool bag.
It was really strong.

Ozark Trail is a Walmart made-in-China brand. Is that a serious recommendation?

I have one of those Milwaukee packout rollers and it is pretty stout, with smooth rolling wheels. I use if for tools, not as a range box, but the load weights are comparable. It lacks internal dividers and organizers though.
Actually, yes.

I went through variety of "luggage" options, including variety of pack outs. II settled on this type of cart/wagon. I don't care who made it.

Rolls easy on variety of surfaces, relatively large wheels, enough clearance, carries bunch of stiff.

Last edited:
Oakley, Burton and Ogio make some nice rolling luggage designed for snowboarders and motocross guys who fly with gear. Kinda' sounds like you want something high-end and purpose-built so you might be better off with a rolling Pelican or Seahorse case customized with Kaizen foam and maybe a molle panel with configurable pouches and hold-down straps.

Why stop at luggage
Tool boxes come in all shapes and compartments

This. I've a few Ridgid tool boxes I use as gun cases. First one came aftermarket factory finished specifically for the task for a Subk2 (first pic, and incidentally available for sale). Both practical and incognito. I was thinking about doing something with the model in the second pic with a couple independent foam layers like the first pic. That case is $55. While not on, say, a Pelican level, it is adequate at a fraction of the price.

20190825_172355.jpg

black-ridgid-modular-tool-storage-systems-249646-64_1000.png

Why not just buy an actual shooting cart like high power guys use?
Danger_cart.jpg

I'm looking for a good luggage case, with wheels, that I can use as a good, adequate Range/Pistol/ammo case.
If you're asking yourself "Why a piece of "Luggage?" when there are gun cases/ammo cases (etc)??.. Cuz I've never found a Range Bag/Pistol Case that would satisfy my "needs" and/or "requirements" for a pretty good case...something easily transported/transportable, that can easily hold a few pistols, several mags, a thousand (or so) rounds of ammo, plus separate compartments for all the 'extras' that we like to take along on our range trips (glasses/ear protection/targets/etc etc/etc)...Separate compartments are (of course) good for various "stuff" that we like to keep, well, "separate" (cleaning stuff, mags, ammo etc etc etc)....
And as we all know, a good "range" case, an actual "range case/bag" is (usually) ridiculously overpriced, often cheap 'junk' and often doesn't provide everything we need (heavy duty protective shell, wheels) etc etc... I don't mind paying $$ for good things in life, but.. just hate settling for "Well, I guess this will have to do" or getting outright ripped off for cheap sh*t.

Thoughts?/Recommendations?/Advice?/(etc)?
I have one of these although I did not pay retail …..its taken a beating. Before I got my “range cart” its last use was for my service rifle gear. I did have to replace a wheel .
I know a few people that have used the Milwaukee storage boxes. Custom foam inserts and multiple units for different thkngs
Amazon product ASIN B006R3CBXSView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006R3CBXS?tag=10bestpicked-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=

Well not sure exactly what configuration of case the o/p is looking for but if you are looking for a roller hard case to handle much gear maybe have a look at a Pelican rifle case. I have the Storm Long case. it's modular, you can customize it internally and it is built like a friggin TANK ! Pelican makes several different sizes. Your going to pay some extra money, but the case WILL outlast your lifetime.

Forget about luggage and look at the lockable tool boxes at Lowes or Home Depot. They run $50-&100 and come in various sizes. I used the $50 version from Lowes for about 10 years and just dropped my MidwayUSA shooting bag into it for all the compartments and storage. Plus, it doubles as a nice place to sit when your at a match or a long day at the range.

Forget about luggage and look at the lockable tool boxes at Lowes or Home Depot. They run $50-&100 and come in various sizes. I used the $50 version from Lowes for about 10 years and just dropped my MidwayUSA shooting bag into it for all the compartments and storage. Plus, it doubles as a nice place to sit when your at a match or a long day at the range.
The home depot Pro account or what ever the call it had a discount on milwaukee Set on sale.

Back
Top Bottom