Suggestions for Illuminated Reticle Mid Range Scope for AR

Forgot to update...this is what I ended up going with...vortex viper pst 2.5-10x44 scope and an adm ad-recon-30 mount

Cheap red dot to mess around with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice now its time for a nice range review. How does the adjustments track, hows the magX look at different distances and what type of groups are you getting...
Im in the hunt for a optic for my Varmint build. I went through several red dots and a few scopes finding what I dont like. Right now im using my tried and true Leupold VXIII 2.8x8x32 from the 90s. Its a great hunting scope but not so much for fine target work.

i'm hoping to get it to the range this weekend...i picked up a boresight to hopefully help me do a little dialing in on everything, in my backyard beforehand...i also just picked up a scope level so i'd like to mount that and make sure my scope is dead nuts level beforehand as well...my plan is to zero the irons and cheap red dot first then move on to zero the scope...lots of calibrating to do...the red dot is something for me to just play with from time to time but i just wanted everything to be able to be swapped out easily without too much re-zeroing each time

What ammo do you intend to use. I zeroed my buis with federal M855. 50 yards point of aim point of impact aiming at a 3" bull. I gave up,on red dots and sold them all. Just not for me.
My scopes depending on zero ( for me I zero at 100 yards as its the distance I shoot most often)
I rough zero at 25 yards. Shots impact about inch low of cross hairs should get you darn close at 100.
Another thing you can do is set your scope at 25 yards poa=poi then come down -20 clicks +/- a few and this should get you close.
Before I fine tune a scope I like to check the turrets and see how well they do. I use 1" graph paper @ 100 yards. I will place 4 shaded 1" boxes spaced evenly at 6" making a square. Or buy a sight in target with the 4 small targets in each corner. Measure the distance between them.
Shoot top left square You will continue to aim at the top left target through out the test., turn windage right 24 clicks shoot should hit top right , dial in -24 clicks should hit bottom right, 24 left shoot, 24 up shoot. If you and the scope are doing well the shots should fall close to 6" apart and return to top left. I'm not to picky. If. It comes close I'm happy. Your looking for serious back lash in your turrets. I have some scopes that are horrible. Zero and forget it they are fine but their can be several false clicks on a few of my scopes when adjusting back and forth.

Last edited:
well finally got to the range this past week to play with this rifle and my nylon 66 with a buddy of mine...i had a field scope so we didn't have to go down range much...we tried to dial in the cheap simmons scope on my nylon 66 at 50 yd and got frustrated...not sure if it's the cheap simmons scope or the rifle or the ammo...i'm guessing it may be the rifle but i'm not sure...may try to mount the scope on the ar and see if it holds true, if it does then it's the rifle...if that's the case i'll probably be looking for a 10/22...after that i dialed in the irons on my ar and then put the new vortex on and we dialed that in...i didn't really have time to do too much testing with it and i'm not that great of a shot yet so i can't really provide a good review but i did like it and i like the mount as well...hopefully i can go again soon and figure out the issues with the 22 so i can concentrate on getting better

well finally got to the range this past week to play with this rifle and my nylon 66 with a buddy of mine...i had a field scope so we didn't have to go down range much...we tried to dial in the cheap simmons scope on my nylon 66 at 50 yd and got frustrated...not sure if it's the cheap simmons scope or the rifle or the ammo...i'm guessing it may be the rifle but i'm not sure...may try to mount the scope on the ar and see if it holds true, if it does then it's the rifle...if that's the case i'll probably be looking for a 10/22...after that i dialed in the irons on my ar and then put the new vortex on and we dialed that in...i didn't really have time to do too much testing with it and i'm not that great of a shot yet so i can't really provide a good review but i did like it and i like the mount as well...hopefully i can go again soon and figure out the issues with the 22 so i can concentrate on getting better

The problem with the Nylon 66 is the "receiver" where the scope rail is, well it's just a sheet metal slip cover. I never had much luck with my nylon 66 scoped. Iron sights it was a decent shooter.
The scope grooves on the receiver cover are not very good and easily over tightened.
Nylon 66 fame is they don't wear out required very little cleaning and lube. They are for popping soda cans and a squirrel or 2 and such.
I'm still looking for a scope for my varmint build.

The problem with the Nylon 66 is the "receiver" where the scope rail is, well it's just a sheet metal slip cover. I never had much luck with my nylon 66 scoped. Iron sights it was a decent shooter.
The scope grooves on the receiver cover are not very good and easily over tightened.
Nylon 66 fame is they don't wear out required very little cleaning and lube. They are for popping soda cans and a squirrel or 2 and such.
I'm still looking for a scope for my varmint build.

yea i've read about these problems on nylonrifles.com....you're probably right, i'm not sure if it's the metal cover where i have the scope mounted or the barrel moving in the stock or some combination...i think i'm going to pull the scope off and put the cheap red dot back on it with the see through rings or just leave it bare and just leave it and buy a 10/22 and put the scope on that...i'll have to look around to see who has good deals on them around me...i'll have to do a little homework on which model is the best collectors series, take down, carbine, target, compact, sporter, international or tactical...i feel like the carbine is the go to for everyone so i'll probably just go that way and upgrade parts as i want to but i do like the international but i've never seen one for sale anywhere

next range trip i'll have to just bring the ar and play with the scope more on the 100yd range...i found this scope very clear considering i have an astigmatism in that eye...i do have some targets i downloaded with a grid on them so maybe i'll try doing as you previously suggested to see how the scope tracks...if i had a rifle sled it would probably be a little better to see how the scope does since me being a new shooter with an eye problem probably isn't going to provide the best results

Last edited:
I'm just going to ask here rather than start a new thread but if a Mod thinks it should be its own please move it. I am the type of person that likes to analyze things on a side by side basis so I create spreadsheets that help me to sort by various features. Insteado of reinventing the wheel I am wondering if someone has done that with optics? Would anyone be interested in working collaboratively on said project?

how are you liking the BCM? I took mine to my Sig Rifle 102 class, I had only irons, the other 7-8 guys had red dots. It's such a sweet lightweight rifle i want to keep it light, will probably just get an Aimpoint H1 or T1, something really light. The instructor loaned me his rifle for a bit, with Eotech, flashlight etc on it, it felt a lot heavier, though i only got a couple rounds off before we noticed the rail was coming off, lol.

But i understand you wanting to scope it - I picked up a 4-12x40 AO scope for my .22 Sig to feed that desire for now. The Sig .22 with optic is much heavier than my BCM!

- - - Updated - - -

Was tempted by the Leupold 1-4x 24mm VX6 demo for $650 they have at dvor, but it had a German reticle on it which I don't want. Probably should stick to my lightweight plan anyway.

how are you liking the BCM? I took mine to my Sig Rifle 102 class, I had only irons, the other 7-8 guys had red dots. It's such a sweet lightweight rifle i want to keep it light, will probably just get an Aimpoint H1 or T1, something really light. The instructor loaned me his rifle for a bit, with Eotech, flashlight etc on it, it felt a lot heavier, though i only got a couple rounds off before we noticed the rail was coming off, lol.

But i understand you wanting to scope it - I picked up a 4-12x40 AO scope for my .22 Sig to feed that desire for now. The Sig .22 with optic is much heavier than my BCM!

love it all!...the rifle is great, the scope mount is great and so is the scope...the magpul buis is ok...i don't think i'll be getting a legit red dot though cause i like having the magnification of a scope and that cheap red dot will be fine for me or maybe i will pickup the cheap primary arms micro dot...i do like having the ability to pull the scope off the rail and remount it within seconds while still holding zero

Back
Top Bottom