Suggestions for reasonably priced headphones?

As the title says... I don't really want to spend $100 on head phones, but I clearly need something. Anything reasonable out there? I've used my ear buds from my ipod, but I'd prefer some over the ear headphones.

Well I used a pair of sony headphones from Best Buy.They are ok but I much prefer my current set of Heil cans.

Here's a dumb question: my manual for my radio say to use 4-16ohm headphones. All the ones out now (the radio was sold in the 80's) are ~200+ ohms. Will this matter much?

oh hell... this hobby is too expensive... I'm thinking I'm gonna' get the heil - not for the headphone per se, but as I looked around a various headphone mic combos (the yamaha CM500 gets excellent reviews from hams and many others and is $50-60), but for the microphone. The IC735/745 have low mic gain and heil has a mic element specifically tuned to these transceivers... need to do a little more research...

For the amount of time I spend at my rig it is worth it for me. I can wear my Heil cans for hours and my ears still won't hurt. I have the pro set. Not sure the mic element but it is one for the newer Icom rigs. Check HRO, I got mine as a demo.

For the amount of time I spend at my rig it is worth it for me. I can wear my Heil cans for hours and my ears still won't hurt. I have the pro set. Not sure the mic element but it is one for the newer Icom rigs. Check HRO, I got mine as a demo.

That's that one I'm looking at - Proset-iC. What do you do for the ptt? And how long are the cables? Reviews tend to say they are too short, but that seems situation dependent.

I would say that the cables are at least 6'. I use vox mostly but I made a short ptt switch with a momentary push button switch. The ptt uses a 1/8" female stereo jack so you can buy what you need at radio shack for a few dollars. HRO has foot switches and other ptt switches but I hate spending money for things I can make.

OK, I sprung for the Heil Proset with the "iC" element tuned for this radio and I really like them. Very comfortable and I just blasted through a pile up on 20m to LA9DAA in Norway. Need to work on the VOX though... seems too touchy... I think I'll rig a PTT for it.

Vox takes some getting used to and I would want a switch. I got one from radio shack for about 3 dollars and wired it to a plug and had a switch for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom