• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions on SD/Carry Ammo for 357magnum

Looks like they don't make Federal HST for the 357 magnum, I am having issues with Speer Gold Dots not expanding and they only sell the Gold Dot Short Barrels in 20 round boxes meaning $1+ per round so I am looking for suggestions on the next best ammo to carry.

For lower cost defensive/hollow point ammo, Fiocchi makes 158 gr JHP in 50 round boxes, they also make a Fiocchi Extrema which uses a 158 gr XTPS bullet. Then there's Remingtom HTP loads (50 rounds), federal hydra shock and personal defense loads. Never tested any for expansion. Just know theyre on the cheaper side.

I thought the basic 158gr LSWC was the standard for many years...perhaps it was topped with a LSWCHP?
I don't have any experience shooting people, but I'd think if you do your part, these loads would be quite effective.

Avoid Blazer. The aluminum cases have to be individually pulled out of the cylinder of my snubbie most of the time.

.357 mag is overkill for self defense. i would carry .38 +p 158 gr hp's. any hollow point will do, even wallyworld hp's
I would like to hear the reasoning behind this statement. Im of the "use the largest most powerful round you can shoot well" camp. I shoot 158 grain magnum loads very well......and according to this those are "overkill"? Why? If im using my fire arm for self defense wouldnt I want a round with more energy if i can shoot it well?

ok now in to the op.....hornady 158 grain xtp is my carry round. Not much muzzle flash out of my 2 1/4 inch barrel from those. Recoil is of course stout but practice alot and shoot it well. Ive tried remy golden sabres and the muzzle flash is pretty bright so i opted out of those.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is still the case but at one time the most destructive handgun round of any caliber was considered to be a 125 gr .357 Magnum.
I have found the remy 125 grain jsp to be a flame throwing recoil whopping beast! Loudest and most obnoxiouse ammo i have ever shot outta my snub 357. Also way more recoil and "sting" to the hands than 158 grain magnum loads. Would not recommend for defense carry in a snub nose....but for indoor range fun hell yes!!!

Last edited:
.357 mag is overkill for self defense. i would carry .38 +p 158 gr hp's. any hollow point will do, even wallyworld hp's
I'm sure the +p will work but you never know what your self defense scenario will be. I would rather choose a light fast round like a 125 sjhp 357 for a proven quicker stop. If we are talking short barrel than I might look at something else, but for my 4 inch barrel its very controllable.

There's a company that offers the following 130gr JHP. Can't say whose bullet it is, but it's priced right at about a dime apiece.

They've also had pulled 9mm 124gr HSTs in the past. I'd think most .357s could handle a slightly under-sized bullet for a few rounds.
Of course, you could always go heavy with a 180 grainer, I suppose...

Nosler 180gr Non-expanding

For lower cost defensive/hollow point ammo, Fiocchi makes 158 gr JHP in 50 round boxes, they also make a Fiocchi Extrema which uses a 158 gr XTPS bullet. Then there's Remingtom HTP loads (50 rounds), federal hydra shock and personal defense loads. Never tested any for expansion. Just know theyre on the cheaper side.
I have no experience with that Fiocchi in .357, but I've shot a few boxes of the .40 through my Glock and I really, really like it. It runs reliably, and seems to group as well as anything else I put through the gun. It costs the same as Winchester White Box, but being hollow point, it's a lot more fun to shoot water bottles and various fruit. I've never shot it into jell or water jugs to recover a bullet to examine the expansion, but the effects it has on fruit has satisfied me.

Most good commercial .357mag ammo that's not a waste out of a snub is going to be pricey. The Federal low-recoil 130gr .357mag actually delivers better ME out of short barrels than most commercial defensive "full power" rounds, so maybe take a look at it too as if it was a "short barrel" load. Not cheap, tho. Runs about 1200fps out of a 2.25" snub. Honestly I don't know why they rate it "low recoil" - it pushes 2000+ fps out of a '94 - but it is low flash. I guess compared to Buffalo Bore ammo, it's low recoil. [laugh]

I have a few boxes of the federal 125 grain jacketed hollow point loads, those and a similar load from Remington have a good track record going back to the 70's

Back
Top Bottom