Suitability is now defined: Did they just force my CLEO to grant my Machine Gun License? I don't think I can be denied anymore

Reptile

NES Member
Can I get a Machine Gun License now?

Only one or 2 in my town. 10 years ago I met informally with my chief and he says he does not issue them. I presume the 2 others in my town were issued before the current chief was appointed.

What are the suitability requirements for a Machine Gun License?

I can easily obtain "bona fide collector" status again after letting my C&R expire years ago.

I have been thinking about the MG license for a while but since I don't have the funds to jump into that game I haven't done much.
If it covered silencers I'd be all over it but that's not happening soon.

My thought is that it's too soon after Bruen to be able to force the issue but a conversation with your chief might be fruitful. If he says no, you can always contact Com2A and get added to the list of future possible plaintiffs.

I have been thinking about the MG license for a while but since I don't have the funds to jump into that game I haven't done much.

My thought is that it's too soon after Bruen to be able to force the issue but a conversation with your chief might be fruitful. If he says no, you can always contact Com2A and get added to the list of future possible plaintiffs.
Almost word for word where I'm at/ what I'd say.

I better wait this out.
My chief is a good guy despite his initial (informal) denial years ago.

I don't want to play hard ball.

I'd rather keep my powder dry and not make a spectacle of myself.

Being "known" to the police (for good things) is not something I'd want to squander.

However, I think that this subject is going to gain momentum.

Suitability is suitability. Machine Gun Licenses do not have anything extra written about them in the law as far as I know to deny folks.

I think we may have found a silver lining in the new laws.

While we are at it, does our current situation favor ease of applying for a 07 FFL?

In for a penny, in for a pound!

Suitability is suitability. Machine Gun Licenses do not have anything extra written about them in the law as far as I know to deny folks.
I think the relevant question here is whether Bruen and Heller protect machine guns. I think we'll find they don't. This will likely take a separate case.

While we are at it, does our current situation favor ease of applying for a 07 FFL?
Give a listen to the latest @GOAL Podcast.

I think the relevant question here is whether Bruen and Heller protect machine guns. I think we'll corrupt politicians find they don't. This will likely take a separate case.

FIFY
History and text shows that NFA items were in common use until the government infringed and continued to be sought after even after a serious burden was imposed.
I do think that silencers will be an easier war to win given their treatment in Europe as a requirement for polite shooters.

FIFY
History and text shows that NFA items were in common use until the government infringed and continued to be sought after even after a serious burden was imposed.
I do think that silencers will be an easier war to win given their treatment in Europe as a requirement for polite shooters.
That's a fair point, and I agree. I suppose I should have made it clearer that I was using we to mean under the first circuit. I think if you could get a case in front of SCOTUS, they'd be hard-pressed to find against.

Until and unless licenses and the NFA are struck down completely, I expect we need to keep eating this elephant one bite at a time.

FIFY
Just look up the # of states that now allow silencers and those that also allow them for hunting. Jack.

That's a fair point, and I agree. I suppose I should have made it clearer that I was using we to mean under the first circuit. I think if you could get a case in front of SCOTUS, they'd be hard-pressed to find against.

Until and unless licenses and the NFA are struck down completely, I expect we need to keep eating this elephant one bite at a time.
I don't think we will see licenses struck down completely even if the right case gets to SCOTUS and causes recognition of CC across the country.
There will still be the issue of prohibition status and that is where we will see a license being used - There will be a nationwide duty to inform with the "right" of the state to detain until status is determined where licensure is evidence of legal carry and immediate release.

I don't think we will see licenses struck down completely even if the right case gets to SCOTUS and causes recognition of CC across the country.
There will still be the issue of prohibition status and that is where we will see a license being used - There will be a nationwide duty to inform with the "right" of the state to detain until status is determined where licensure is evidence of legal carry and immediate release.
Until we restore rights upon release ;)

You're probably right, though.

i needed to write "a letter" when i got mine. no big deal, i didn't need to come here and ask what to write. i said "my name is XXX. i live here, i've had a ltc for over 50 years, best regards, me" i gave him nothing additional that he didn't already have by getting up and looking up my ltc file. of course i already had the c&r ffl. i got a call a couple hours later that my app had been approved.

the only glitch was no one had asked for a mgl in my city for years so they didn't know how to proceed when i showed up. they figured it out before the end of the day.

I think the relevant question here is whether Bruen and Heller protect machine guns. I think we'll find they don't. This will likely take a separate case.

This is what ticks me off regarding 2A. The fact that it's just a constant battle for everything. We seem to be constantly battling these demons over and over.

Scotus: The right to keep and bear arms exists
Democrats: Well what about on a rainy day? What about leap days (Feb 29) does it still exist then? What if a meteor is about to strike the earth?

When will the people in power finally wake up and say "Hey this seems like a giant load of bullsh*t, case dismissed". But no we have to waste million of dollars and years for the correction to occur.

Okay so in 5 years we learn that we can keep and bear arms in the rain, on leap days and meteors. Then the question becomes well what about volcanoes or blizzards or in a hot air balloon? It just never ends. We need millions of legal uses cases to finally stamp it out when we really need is a super simple 2A:

The right of the people to keep and bear any arms shall not be infringed. Any individual, state or agency that infringes on this right shall be punished with death. Congress must enforce this provision.

When enough liberals are lined up waiting for their turn in the electric chair they'll finally say ok ok we get it we're wrong.

This is what ticks me off regarding 2A. The fact that it's just a constant battle for everything. We seem to be constantly battling these demons over and over.

Democrats: Well what about on a rainy day? What about leap days (Feb 29) does it still exist then? What if a meteor is about to strike the earth?

When will the people in power finally wake up and say "Hey this seems like a giant load of bullsh*t, case dismissed". But no we have to waste million of dollars and years for the correction to occur.

Okay so in 5 years we learn that we can keep and bear arms in the rain, on leap days and meteors. Then the question becomes well what about volcanoes or blizzards or in a hot air balloon? It just never ends. We need millions of legal uses cases to finally stamp it out when we really need is a super simple 2A:

The right of the people to keep and bear any arms shall not be infringed. Any individual, state or agency that infringes on this right shall be punished with death. Congress must enforce this provision.

When enough liberals are lined up waiting for their turn in the electric chair they'll finally say ok ok we get it we're wrong.
Part of the problem is that you keep letting them have that word. Words have meaning. Liberals want people to be free.

Unfortunately, the world is full of authoritarian a**h***s who are confident they know your needs better than you. The result is that the fight for any right will always be slow, and uphill. We don't fight because it's easy. We persist because we must; because it's right.

Of course, if we stopped treating it like a partisan issue, we'd have a better time bringing in more allies as reinforcements. Rather than demanding purity, we can teach why ours is the better path. First, we probably should stop pretending that any of our "heroes" really support our RKBA.

Nobody is coming to save you.
Always be working.

When I lived in Springfield and went in to
to renew my LTC in 2009 I also applied for a machine gun license At the same time. I had no problem, no interview, I didn't even have a C&R. Reason was collector and it was processed on the spot. In about 2 months I had my renewed LTC and my machine gun license. Since then I have moved to Wilbraham MA and renewed both without any problem. I think you just have to ask and see what happens you may be surprised what happens. I asked how many machine gun lincencs were issued in Wilberham and was told 5 now 6 with mine. I just don't think many are asked to be processed.

Cheer up! The fight will never stop with petty tyrants.

I better wait this out.
My chief is a good guy despite his initial (informal) denial years ago.

I’d argue that he is NOT a good guy if he decides willy nilly not to issue MGL just because he doesn’t like them… I don’t care if MA bullshit law allows him to do it, that doesn’t make him less of a shitty CLEO

Back
Top Bottom