• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Summer Vacation?

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
So, my plans for vacation at end of Aug are busted. I was originally going international on a trip planned last fall to see some friends over seas. Sucks, but what are you going to do? I still have the time off and could really use some vacation days, but I have no idea what I should do now. What would you guys do with a week off at the end of Aug? Domestic travel? Camping/fishing trip? I just don't want to even take the time off if I end up on my couch for the week binge watching crappy programming on Netflix.

a lot of people are in the same boat. I wired four hot tubs between May - June. usually do two a year. One guy said: "I have $12 grand, was going to Disney with the kids, but got a hot tub and finished off the basement instead"

I had a week off a couple weeks ago, just did some day trips around New England. Took a day here and there and just relaxed at home. No TV binges though, spent time outside on the deck with a cold beer and some BBQ :)

Supposed to go to Lake George in the fall, will have to wait and see if those plans hold out.

Camping. Nothing clears the mind and frees the soul like camping in the deep woods beside a clear running stream. And I don't mean a 'family' campground...

Camping sounds good, but I have zero gear outside of knives and flashlights. Wondering if I should take some of that vacation money and just go all out on some camping gear.

Domestic travel? Camping/fishing trip?
This.
My plans fell through as well, but I'll tell you, NH ME and VT are poppin right now. I didn't take a single day off work and still had a wild weekend in the mountains. Fishing, hiking, jumping in natural pools, 10am beer on a mountain, campfires, homemade chili, cycling along the lake, you name it. Make it happen brotha

Wondering if I should take some of that vacation money and just go all out on some camping gear.
Doesn't take too much. Amazon and Sierra Trading Post will be your best friend.

Camping sounds good, but I have zero gear outside of knives and flashlights. Wondering if I should take some of that vacation money and just go all out on some camping gear.
The gear you buy now... may be the gear you depend on to save your life in the future.
Choose wisely...

Camping, real camping, teaches you things about yourself... and others.

Same deal.. birthday in August. Was planning on a long weekend in Paris. Passport renewal had been stuck in gov. “Processing” for 3 months. So even if we were welcome in the EU I doubt I’ll get it in time anyhow...

I agree with what others said..New England is beautiful and lots to explore.. roam around, take some overnight trips, visit Maine and NH...that’s what I’ve been doing. Also planning on a short domestic travel trip via plane, we’ll see how that goes..but tickets and hotels are cheap...so maybe an option.

Wow...flights are like crazy, unimaginably discounted at the end of Aug. $39. RT to Orlando? $74. RT LA? $51. RT Vegas? It would cost more to take a train to NYC right now.

This might change things, as getting places seems cheap at the moment.

My wife and I just went out to Missouri for a bit and it was amazing. Lots of people who are enjoying their freedoms and the water in the lakes are like bath water!
Jill and I took the girls to see their uncles, aunts and grandparents in Louisiana and Alabama. I did some fishing in Mobile Bay and we got little Jill her gift for her eighth birthday: a stainless, heavy-barreled 10/22 with 4X Leupold at an Alabama gun shop. She was thrilled!

Jill and I took the girls to see their uncles, aunts and grandparents in Louisiana and Alabama. I did some fishing in Mobile Bay and we got little Jill her gift for her eighth birthday: a stainless, heavy-barreled 10/22 with 4X Leupold at an Alabama gun shop. She was thrilled!
That is amazing. We visited a friend and his 14-year-old gave me a ride around the farm to see the animals and then let me shoot his 12ga. It's a different world down there.

a lot of people are in the same boat. I wired four hot tubs between May - June. usually do two a year. One guy said: "I have $12 grand, was going to Disney with the kids, but got a hot tub and finished off the basement instead"
Same here more pools and hot tubs this year then ever and same story can't go on vacation so dumping the vacation money into the house. I like it more $$ in my gun fund :)

Wondering if I should take some of that vacation money and just go all out on some camping gear.
buy good stuff so when you find out you hate camping you'll have no problem selling the stuff. i went camping once...1973. one and done. my only investment was a sterno stove and a case of sterno cans, thankfully.

All you need is a backpack, a sleeping bag (summer weight), a small tarp, some 550 cord similarly strong string, and some sort of camp stove and a pot. Then pack dehydrated meals you can get at Walmart. Make your tent from the tarp if it's any chance of rain......or sleep under the stars if it's not. In the white mountains you can back country camp anywhere off the hiking trail as long as you are a certain distance from the trail or a water source. Dont forget water or buy a pump filter and fill up from streams. It's a blast.

Edit....it's 1/4 up any trail from the main roads and 200 feet off the trail or any body of water and you can just set up a campsite. Just need the parking pass you buy for $25 at the ranger stations. Total investment in the gear I described is maybe $150. I do pack a 357 mag revolver on my hip for these trips......you know.....bears.

Camping. Nothing clears the mind and frees the soul like camping in the deep woods beside a clear running stream. And I don't mean a 'family' campground...

This! There is a lot of great primitive camping in northern Maine. And some really good stuff in VT and NH. The National Forests are free if you camp at the primitive sites.

All you need is a backpack, a sleeping bag (summer weight), a small tarp, some 550 cord similarly strong string, and some sort of camp stove and a pot. Then pack dehydrated meals you can get at Walmart. Make your tent from the tarp if it's any chance of rain......or sleep under the stars if it's not. In the white mountains you can back country camp anywhere off the hiking trail as long as you are a certain distance from the trail or a water source. Dont forget water or buy a pump filter and fill up from streams. It's a blast.

Edit....it's 1/4 up any trail from the main roads and 200 feet off the trail or any body of water and you can just set up a campsite. Just need the parking pass you buy for $25 at the ranger stations. Total investment in the gear I described is maybe $150. I do pack a 357 mag revolver on my hip for these trips......you know.....bears.

Thanks for the distance details. I actually have all that stuff you mentioned (outside of the 357), but it's basically my bugout bag, so I should probably buy a set to use separate from that.

Edit....it's 1/4 up any trail from the main roads and 200 feet off the trail or any body of water and you can just set up a campsite.
This. If you can drive your vehicle to your campsite... you're doing it wrong. [rofl2]

Thanks for the distance details. I actually have all that stuff you mentioned (outside of the 357), but it's basically my bugout bag, so I should probably buy a set to use separate from that.
Wouldn't you love to give your bug-out-bag the "Real World" test so you can discover what you are lacking or have that is unnecessary?
I call it a "Tune Up"...

Geez....might as well check into a hotel and get room service.

THIS is all you need
A17-UC212.jpg

What? No condoms?

Don't be a 'baby's daddy' to a lady Sasquatch...

'Gifting' can get you in trouble...

1595363547446.png

Wouldn't you love to give your bug-out-bag the "Real World" test so you can discover what you are lacking or have that is unnecessary?
I call it a "Tune Up"...

I have this weird fear of doing this...testing my bug out bag, and then finding out that I need it again before I have a chance to replace consumables (food, fuel, fire starting, rope, etc). But you do have a good point though about testing the gear in real-world application. A lot of the gear was selected from review ratings. Other items are more theoretical, so I suppose that stuff is worth testing.

Back
Top Bottom