Summer Vacation?

Fear can be overcome... by experience.

Start small with a 2-day weekend up in the White Mountains. Nothing crazy, just get your toes wet.
No need to be making your own fire with sticks, eating grubs or surviving on your own urine... yet. [rofl2]

That's Level 2 stuff... [smile]

Used to love camping as a kid. Not like camping previously deacribed, like a tent with an air mattress and a canopy over the picnic table. Spend some time fishing, go for a swim, even in a campground like erving or the DAR in goshen where there are other campers youre far enough out to hear the birds and escape traffic for a few days.

A primitive camping experience off some random trail sounds like a good time but not exactly the way id want to spend a whole week that i reserved for a euro trip. Ill save my white mountain vision quest for another time.

There is no such thing as a bad day of fishing.
Maybe mix it up with a salmon and trout freshwater trip and some deep sea .
Fill the freezer in the process .
Blackened Cajun
Fish chowder .
Fried
Baked
Broiled .

1595367126803.png

Last vacation of any length was Disney April of 2016. I might have taken 3 days in a row off (plus the weekend) that summer and the next. Was supposed to go April of this year. Trying again for Sept. we shall see. I need 7 days of doing something completely different.

I had a $130 one way to Paris and then a train ride from there to St. Jean pied de port leaving from Logan next week. I was going to walk the full Camino de Santiago... yes, im livid.

I had a $130 one way to Paris and then a train ride from there to St. Jean pied de port leaving from Logan next week. I was going to walk the full Camino de Santiago... yes, im livid.
Is that the hike depicted in ‘The Way’?

My vacation is the next two weeks. Generally we don't do much but even that is not going to happen this year. I'm going to try to get some more bicycle riding in. Hopefully a couple hundred miles as long as its not raining or extremely hot and nasty in the morning when I get up. Some more bicycle riding in with the family in the afternoons. Different bike and pace. Maybe some motorcycling in. Haven't done many miles at all in the past couple of years. Certainly some back yard grilling, fire pitting and maybe a few ceremonial beverages will be consumed.

Attachments

• 20200718_184751.jpg
    20200718_184751.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 5
We're going to do a few days around North Conway. We were going to go to Las Vegas again this summer, but not happening.
I took next week off because I have over 4 weeks to burn before the end of the year. Heading up to North Conway for a few days sans kids for our anniversary. No idea what we will do, but it will be all out of the way things that most tourists dont know about.

That is amazing. We visited a friend and his 14-year-old gave me a ride around the farm to see the animals and then let me shoot his 12ga. It's a different world down there.
You are right. Nice wholesome environment to raise kids. Jerry Parr, the Secret Service agent in charge of President Reagan's detail, and was credited for saving his life, was born and raised in Alabama. My wife and I were raised well and we are proud of our southern heritage. If that makes us politically-incorrect, so be it!

Went to Florida for a week in March

Went to Myrtle Beach for a week in June.

Just got back from a few days in the White mountains because coastal Maine doesnt want my money. Honestly NH was better anyway Fxck Maine we get way more for our money down in the southern beaches.

Will do one more trip to NH if my daughter comes to visit.

Fall will probably be Hilton head then visit my daughter in Charlotte.

February is Sandals Barbados redo from last April that got cancelled. All paid for.

Florida again in March, and will probably get some decent airfare for that one.

Rinse lather repeat

You are right. Nice wholesome environment to raise kids. Jerry Parr, the Secret Service agent in charge of President Reagan's detail, and was credited for saving his life, was born and raised in Alabama. My wife and I were raised well and we are proud of our southern heritage. If that makes us politically-incorrect, so be it!
Goals to fix some things in our lives and move!

Come visit the Crystal Coast here in North Carolina. Beaufort / Morehead City area has beautiful beaches and great fishing & boating.

End of August is prime hurricane season though...
Instead of North Myrtle we may rent a place in Coastal NC next June.

We recently came back from camping in Idaho and Montana. Going back out in a month to hang around Montana and Wyoming. Too many incredible in places to see in this country. Would take more than a lifetime to experience it all.
When I was out in Yellowstone I was in awe of the west. Wide open spaces.
We plan on taking an RV from Las Vegas all the way up we are planning a month for that trip.

Same here more pools and hot tubs this year then ever and same story can't go on vacation so dumping the vacation money into the house. I like it more $$ in my gun fund :)
I really cant get a handle on this. People have one year of vacation cancelled so they throw a bunch of money into a pool that they wont use next year when they go back on vacation? Not to mention the commitment on chemicals and electicity and upkeep is ten years or more.

When I go in vacation I stay at a place with a pool and hot tub so I can wave good bye to maintanance of it. Just like a boat. Rent it or Pay a guide and walk away. Way cheaper in the long run.

Last vacation of any length was Disney April of 2016. I might have taken 3 days in a row off (plus the weekend) that summer and the next. Was supposed to go April of this year. Trying again for Sept. we shall see. I need 7 days of doing something completely different.
We also went April of '16, we also were to go this April. Canceled that due to Corona closure and rented a cottage on the Cape same as we did last year, same cottage. The Cape was nice, we went last week and the place has a pool which was a good complement to the beach.

During the week beaches were lightly attended with end of the week weather a bit cloudy and cool. Last Saturday was madness, beaches hit Corona limits and parking lots closed with signs saying no dropoffs either. This was S. Yarmouth. We were within walking distance so no problem and saw many parking on side streets and bypassing the gatekeepers and walking on anyway.

Nowhere near the traffic and crowds of last year. Most restaurants were open for takeout which was fine just longer waits and we took advantage of low crowds to explore places not previously seen. Family loved National Seashore Marconi site and Wellfleet Harbor Mayo Beach. And if you've got kids they all seem to enjoy the Chatham Fish Pier seals mooching off the fishing boats bringing in the daily catch.

This is my idea of camping. The middle of effing no where, great food, great booze, a cigar, and great company

Bone in Lamb Chops with sautéed mushrooms, green beans with bacon, Mushroom Risotto, Skewered Brussels Sprouts with sea salt and olive oil. This meal was little over the top, it was for my buddies bachelor party. There were 8 of us primitive camping that weekend. (Some Where In Maine)
36158286-F2E2-4645-96B3-F01F83A84D26.jpeg

This was in Utah on the edge of Hell Roaring Canyon (where the 127 Hours story took place) Pork and veggies we had picked up somewhere in Colorado, beers were from Moab Brewery.

16AAE1EE-78E5-4172-A7C1-EFD5B709B8B0.jpeg

Our set up
95DEBE1A-5891-4462-B8DF-79DD10A633EA.jpeg

This was somewhere in Capitol Reef NP. Chorizo tacos and Spanish rice with more Moab Brewery beers
3FB1CDD9-1A56-4499-825E-E860EA92E90B.jpeg

The point I’m trying to make is, just because you’re camping, doesn’t mean you need to eat like a homeless person. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had my camping trips where meals were simple. But don’t sell yourself short. Enjoy the tranquility in every way possible. You’ll be amazed at what it does for you.

My vacation last June was a catamaran delivery from USVI to Montauk. This summer was to be the Newport-Bermuda race. Nope.

I am sad panda.

My vacation is the next two weeks. Generally we don't do much but even that is not going to happen this year. I'm going to try to get some more bicycle riding in. Hopefully a couple hundred miles as long as its not raining or extremely hot and nasty in the morning when I get up. Some more bicycle riding in with the family in the afternoons. Different bike and pace. Maybe some motorcycling in. Haven't done many miles at all in the past couple of years. Certainly some back yard grilling, fire pitting and maybe a few ceremonial beverages will be consumed.

Is that a solo stove in the pic?
looks nice. I don’t want to give up space in my yard for a permanent fire pit.

I have this weird fear of doing this...testing my bug out bag, and then finding out that I need it again before I have a chance to replace consumables (food, fuel, fire starting, rope, etc). But you do have a good point though about testing the gear in real-world application. A lot of the gear was selected from review ratings. Other items are more theoretical, so I suppose that stuff is worth testing.
Smart move: buy the replacements in advance. Just like ammo, consumables are cheaper in bulk, and it never hurts to have a bit in reserve. Then you can test your gear, and make sure you know how it works.

Because it's infinitely more pleasant learning to make a fire when it's 70 and clear than when you're soaked through and cold as hell. It doesn't matter how good your gear is at that point.

Is that a solo stove in the pic?
looks nice. I don’t want to give up space in my yard for a permanent fire pit.

It is a solo stove. That was our first time using it. My brother in law got one so when we came home my wife ordered it for me. It is the ranger size which is the smallest. It works well. Just wish it was a little bigger. Not much bigger but maybe an inch. The wood you can buy at the store is just a hair too large to fit perfectly. The next size up might be just a bit too big for us. I love it for its portability. We added the stand and the cover. Don't regret the purchase one bit.

If you're close to Blackstone, MA I'm off the next two weeks. Come check it out. It will be going.

Back
Top Bottom