super lightweight aluminum AR lower/upper

dat price doe
if i had money I'd jump on that and throw a sig brace on there. nomz

That is cool how the front of the magwell looks like a Pmag.

I would really love to do a pistol, but $500+ for the stripped receiver set isn't happening for me.

Bolt carrier and the barrel are the killers

quick search (similar light weight receivers)
Ounces
5.9MagTactical Lower
4.8MagTactical Upper
13VooDoo ultralight 7.5" barrel
6.6JP low mass bolt carrier
3.8Vltor light weight buffer

Total weight 34.1 ounces so far. I have no idea yet if the rest of the parts can be had for 15 ounces:
LPK, grip, buffer tube/spring, bolt. Intriging thought though.

Ounces
5.9MagTactical Lower
4.8MagTactical Upper

Total weight 34.1 ounces so far. I have no idea yet if the rest of the parts can be had for 15 ounces:

I did a quick search also, heavy doses of titanium might be required, don't forget the rail, then sights.

Spikes is coming out with a titanium BCG, supposidly less than 5oz. SCT bolt carrier is 5.6 ounces. This will be one expensive build.

lightest rail i could find, 6.6 oz. http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1030

I'm losing faith already.

Ounces
5.9MagTactical Lower
4.8MagTactical Upper

Don't forget the gas block, tube, pin, handguard (with barrel nut, or D ring assembly), and charging handle. Not to mention some kind of sights.

Last edited:
Buy a 2 piece clamp on free float that you can remove as you need/want too, like a Troy. If it is off the gun, just hold it by the mag well. Skip the sights and put a small red dot on it, that shouldn't count towards weight. I don't think I would want light weight BCG's and buffers in a super short pistol gas system, but I understand why you would.

MA gayness aside, that upper/lower set actually looks pretty cool. I don't think I would pay the price for one, but I dig it.

I'm optimistic by nature, but I agree, this seems to be adding up too quickly.
Is a rail necessary? Can't you just have the gas tube exposed? and wear oven mitts?

How about just a free float tube?? Pistol versions are somewhere around 4" long (at least some are). If you wanted to make it lighter, find someone with a lathe [wink] to remove material a bit past the threads.

Back
Top Bottom