Super Sabra Lightning Bow® Trigger (IWI Tavor & X95 Rifles): Legal for Self Defense?

Reptile

NES Member
This trigger replicates a M4 style trigger (so they say).
There is not much take up and there is a crisp break.
It is like a match trigger.

In a judicious use of lethal force in the home against a lethal threat (a threatening man with a gun pointed at a baby crib) - is it legally acceptable to use such a trigger in a home defense gun?

Some "expurts" claim that a trigger modification in a defensive firearm will put you in jail.

Under extreme stress, it is easier to accidentally pull the trigger (if your finger is on the trigger) due to blood leaving your extremities.

If you have no choice but to fire at an attacker to save lives - does that really matter?

Super Sabra Lightning Bow® Trigger (IWI Tavor & X95 Rifles)

Check out the thread on pg.2/Giessele X95 trigger install. Seems to be a common upgrade for the X95, I plan on installing one soon.

"Did you mean to shoot the guy who invaded your home and threatened your family?"
"Yes"

How easy/hard it was to pull the trigger is irrelevant. If your defense is that you only meant to half pull the trigger and then decided not to but it was too late, then good luck with that.

"Legal"? Sure. But if the prosecutor thinks he can make a case against you, that trigger and anything else that might make you look bad to the jury will get used against you. If it will play to the jury's emotions and ignorance, it will get used.

If there is no law that says you can't, then you can. Even if there is a law that says you can't, if it's un-just, you still can, and most definitely should.

Trigger modification is only a problem if you didn't mean to pull the trigger and you did.

As far as a lawyer making you out to be some blood thirsty gun nut because you shot a home invader with a modded trigger I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your really worried about that your home defense weapon choice is kinda odd. They hold up that bullpup "Israeli Weapon of War" in the courtroom.. the trigger is going to be the least of your worries.

As long as its legal to possess I wouldn't give it a second thought. Just make sure its a good shoot.

Nothing really "legal" or "illegal" about a standard trigger.
Debates have been had ad nauseum in favor/against modifying a home defense/carry gun as it relates to possible arguments in a courtroom.

Nothing really "legal" or "illegal" about a standard trigger.
Debates have been had ad nauseum in favor/against modifying a home defense/carry gun as it relates to possible arguments in a courtroom.

Honestly, in this state, the DA probably won't know enough about guns to realize it's not a stock trigger unless you run your mouth or some "expert witness" points it out.

Rifle for home defense isn't a BAD option. Although I did take a course once with someone who said it was "stupid" to defend a home with a shotgun but currently advocates defending with an AR.

The catch is selecting your ammo correctly and knowing what is behind what you are shooting at with even more judiciousness.

Honestly, in this state, the DA probably won't know enough about guns to realize it's not a stock trigger unless you run your mouth or some "expert witness" points it out.

I do not know if this is true, but I read an article which said that weighing the trigger weight with a trigger scale is becoming a common part of testing on all guns that are sent for ballistic analysis. Apparently, there a number of reasons for adding this test, but one of them is that is is a very easy and inexpensive test to do.

The article pointed out that even though it is difficult to determine whether a firearm is stock, since that requires detailed knowledge of a wide range of firearms, it is quite easy to determine if the trigger weight differs significantly from the weight listed on the manufacturers website. So based on the article, I would not assume that no one will notice the installation of a trigger kit which significantly lowers the trigger pull.

Note that I am not commenting about using these trigger kits. I consider that to be decision which has pros and cons based on circumstances. However, I do feel that the best solution about trigger mods is to choose defensive firearms which are usable in their stock configuration, and then never spend time thinking about the question. Unfortunately, if what you want is a reliable bullpup 5.56, then the stock options may be limited.

"Pairing the Sabra Lightning Bow with a Super Sabra Trigger Pack will result in a pull that is truly two stage and has a match grade feel."

The Lightening Bow results in hardly any take up.

The Super Sabra Trigger Pack greatly improves the trigger but still allows for an appropriate amount of take up before firing.

You can have the tigger pack WITHOUT the Lightening Bow - that would be more suitable for self defense.

If you want to run your X95 like a Jerry Miculek machine gun then by all means use the bow as well.

Facebook has a Tavor X95 Owners Group page. It is great source of knowledge without digging deep into online Forums like Bullpup Forum.

The Massad Ayoob has a great video as part of his MAG20 / MAG40 class where a police officer with a Glock and a modified trigger accidentally shot a man. I can't remember the details without looking at my notes but it was due to a mod of some sort to the Glock. The case went into great detail what was done to the gun and how to avoid it in the future.

I am quite certain that police and military do not run a Lightening Bow on their Tavors.

If ever you do need to install it you must watch this video over and over to get the details...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EIXoxlTLGU&feature=youtu.be

Previous videos on YouTube leave out critical steps that will leave you with an incorrectly installed trigger.

You also need the Tavor barrel wrench and may want a Tavor trigger tool as well.

Ayoob has preached for many years against modifying pistol triggers on carry guns in case you are involved in a legal shooting.
"You can have the tigger pack WITHOUT the Lightening Bow - that would be more suitable for self defense."
Yup, that's why I just bought the drop in. Took the rifle to Harvard and shot at the 100yd range to zero the Sig Romeo 5 w/the stock trigger. We'll see the difference when I drop in the new trigger.

Back
Top Bottom