SUPER TARGET SYSTEMS

I think neighbors in adjustment apartments may be unhappy about the noise.

target area is 1'x1' with 12 targets on in. With typical NES sharpshooting skills you need to shoot that point blank. For $170 seem like a steep price for what it is.

If you want to put something like this in a basement, probably work for .22 but you need to deal with smoke. Why not get a good airgun and targets for those don't need AR plates, also ammo is pretty cheap.

Pink Rhino laser trainer cartridge from Amazon and any target of your choice. A CheapShot one works fine. Or a LaserLite.

target area is 1'x1' with 12 targets on in. With typical NES sharpshooting skills you need to shoot that point blank. For $170 seem like a steep price for what it is.

If you want to put something like this in a basement, probably work for .22 but you need to deal with smoke. Why not get a good airgun and targets for those don't need AR plates, also ammo is pretty cheap.
Air guns are good and I have some but it's still not the same.

Here's a couple of others: Bullet trap 12" for use with .22 thru .44 magnum | eBay

I'd go with at least 2'x2' for basement/short range use, also keep in mind that small targets need to be closer and some bullets do bounce back.

That's still pretty expensive, 330 + shipping will be rough. You don't need AR steel, half inch mild would be an overkill here.

I'm going to go DIY gay here. 1/2 plate is about 20#/sq', that's less than $1/#. So basically you can get a 4'x4', 1/2" plate and depending on location steel distribs would deliver, it would be 320#s. Then go to tractor supply and buy 4'x4' rubber mat for horse stalls, they are about 20-30$ I think. That's basically it, but you got 4x area for far less money.

I'd go with at least 2'x2' for basement/short range use, also keep in mind that small targets need to be closer and some bullets do bounce back.

That's still pretty expensive, 330 + shipping will be rough. You don't need AR steel, half inch mild would be an overkill here.

I'm going to go DIY gay here. 1/2 plate is about 20#/sq', that's less than $1/#. So basically you can get a 4'x4', 1/2" plate and depending on location steel distribs would deliver, it would be 320#s. Then go to tractor supply and buy 4'x4' rubber mat for horse stalls, they are about 20-30$ I think. That's basically it, but you got 4x area for far less money.
I checked with him on the steel and it's not an AR steel that he uses. It's grade #50. I don't weld nor have the equipment to so that's why I'm considering it. I do agree that it's on the expensive side but it should work well. I do know someone that welds but I've not talked with them in awhile and I'm not sure if they'd want to make this. Maybe I'll give them a call.

This should work but it's not contained at all so probably a greater chance of a ricochet and the rubber would need to be replaced periodically depending on how much shooting. This the bullets are directed into a bucket underneath so nothing to replace and if shooting lead it saves it to be reused easily.

I checked with him on the steel and it's not an AR steel that he uses. It's grade #50. I don't weld nor have the equipment to so that's why I'm considering it. I do agree that it's on the expensive side but it should work well. I do know someone that welds but I've not talked with them in awhile and I'm not sure if they'd want to make this. Maybe I'll give them a call.

I think that you may be overcomplicating it. A sloped 1/2" mild steel would stand to years of constant abuse. Simply tilted it down would let the the lead come down. The sides and up wedge are kind of gimmiky on how well they work, so you don't really need to weld anything.

In fact, I'd go with maximum size that you are comfortable with, you can't cut it any smaller.

The rubber mats for horse stalls are cheap enough that you can hang the with bolts and replace once in a while. They are "self-healing" ; ) They would manage the ricochets as much as you can. There is always a chance something coming back no matter what target you got, bouncing off the edges. In fact it's probably greater when you shoot smaller target, you have more chance to hit the edge, as oppose to large steel plate.

Air guns are good and I have some but it's still not the same.
for the record - a range in the basement is not the best idea, but, it is your house and your life, if you got at least a 10yd long basement.

I would do a usual kind of a wooden backstop, like this one:

you can buy those 4x4" or 6x6" timber posts at homedepot:

and stack em up. put a rubber curtain in front, plywood in back. don`t need any metal this way and can make it as wide as you need, in case if you miss.
just do not setup it close to the boiler. :)

for the record - a range in the basement is not the best idea, but, it is your house and your life, if you got at least a 10yd long basement.

and stack em up. put a rubber curtain in front, plywood in back. don`t need any metal this way and can make it as wide as you need, in case if you miss.
It's a great idea as long as it's legal and you've got everything set up properly and you don't miss. ;) If I did it would go into a concrete wall and than about 25 yards or so of earth before reaching the neighbors concrete foundation. Since I'm not shooting any cannons I think I'll be all set.[smile] I will add that if I do this it wouldn't be for high volume shooting. I belong to 2 ranges and one has an indoor range which is very nice but it's in RI and they're verboten for travel and although I could take the chance it's not worth getting stuck. The other one is about an hour away and no indoor range.

Last edited:
That's pretty expensive.

I have a .22LR (only) Outers/Weaver target trap BNIB for sale for $65.00 here. Although I never opened the carton, it is pretty heavy.

That's pretty expensive.

I have a .22LR (only) Outers/Weaver target trap BNIB for sale for $65.00 here. Although I never opened the carton, it is pretty heavy.
Hi Len, I do have one for 22 already but was considering something for larger caliber rounds.. They do make some just for 22 which are less but I've already got an Outers or Champion or something like that.

Does anyone else find it interesting that the Mississippi State University has instructions for how to build a shooting range backstop? Somehow I don’t think we will see that on a UMass site.

A range in a basement is a major health hazard and a resale problem unless you are using air rifles with copper ammo. Lead dust/the heavy metals from primers is not something you want in your home.

Those portable bullet traps are meant for reloaders to use instead of a traditional earthen backstop outdoors to make it easier to recycle bullets. No more digging through a berm, just empty the trap.

A range in a basement is a major health hazard and a resale problem unless you are using air rifles with copper ammo. Lead dust/the heavy metals from primers is not something you want in your home.

Those portable bullet traps are meant for reloaders to use instead of a traditional earthen backstop outdoors to make it easier to recycle bullets. No more digging through a berm, just empty the trap.
There is no trap on the other one. It goes into a bucket underneath. Yes lead dust can be a problem without proper ventilation and heavy usage but I'll have the ventilation if I set this up and the usage won't be enough to cause a problem in the house.

I came across this article in my own research. I like the idea but I am going to substitute the railroad ties with sections of logs. There are so many huge fallen trees in my woods that I can cut up ad make use of for free. A wall of logs positioned on a steep hillside with horse stall mats and plywood should do the trick for 22.

Back
Top Bottom