• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suppressors in VT

How long before the stupid laws get purged from Burlington, VT? AFAIK it's the only moonbat pocket in the state. Well, when it comes to 2A at least.

I'll stick with NH for now.

This was passed earlier. If I remember correctly, they fudged it up (or were kicking around the idea of fudging) with a restriction they could only be used on a licensed range or some crap. Not sure what exactly happened to that language. So it might now be a 100% clean suppressor use law.

The governor has signed the suppressor bill. It's for a "sport shooting range" only though.

In 15091, first attachment on left in the lower row of attachments, on page 3 of the article inaccurately reports H.5, legalizing citizen possession/use of suppressors on a sport shooting range has not yet been signed by Gov. Shumlin. This is incorrect.The governor has signed H.5, which is now Act 61.

10 VSA 5227 defines a sport shooting range. Links to H.61 and 10 VSA 5227 are below.

Act

61:http://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/Documents/2016/Docs/ACTS/ACT061/ACT061 As Enacted.pdf

10 VSA 5227: http://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/10/119/05227

There will be a public ceremonial signing of H.5 at the Barre F&G Club at 10 A.M. on Thursday, July 16. The governor will also perform the Vermont Annual Moose Permit Drawing at that time. The Moose Drawing will carried live on
Froggy 100.9to hear the reading off of ALL the lucky winners’ names. The Moose Lottery Drawing will also be streamed LIVE online at froggy1009.com.

http://www.gunownersofvermont.org/the-governor-has-signed-h-5/

The governor has signed the suppressor bill. It's for a "sport shooting range" only though.

Still WAY better than nothing, as that at least will allow BATFE paperwork to go through. VTs existing suppressor law was pretty weak but it was enough to stop NFA transfers.

-Mike

Am I reading this wrong or does the suppressor part sunset in a year?

(2) Secs. 15, 16, and 17 (gun suppressors) shall take effect on July 2, 2015.

(3) Sec. 18 (repeal of authorized use of gun suppressor) shall take effect July 1, 2017.

I'm not thrilled about the range only part but this has been a long fight. Vermont has long held the belief that suppressors would add to the poaching problem. I believe the $25 for possession is now $500 fine for illegal use or possession while hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

§ 5227. Sport shooting ranges; municipal and state authority
(a) "Sport shooting range" or "range" means an area designed and operated for the use of archery, rifles, shotguns, pistols, skeet, trap, black powder, or any other similar sport shooting.

This sounds open ended enough that it could include your backyard.

signed by governor June1st. now to find a 10x10 shack to call home...

I've got a couple of rooms for rent in Starksboro. ;) PM me if you're serious.

How long before the stupid laws get purged from Burlington, VT? AFAIK it's the only moonbat pocket in the state. Well, when it comes to 2A at least.

WHAT stupid laws in Burlington? The three resolutions passed last year were shot down in flames by the state.

Like "locked or secured case" in MA law, there's no actual definition of the actual range and probably won't be until and unless some LEO with a hardon for suppressor owners arrests someone. As far as I"m concerned, my side yard is my "sport shooting range" - it's got a target set up and all.

Am I reading this wrong or does the suppressor part sunset in a year?

You're reading it wrong. It sunsets in two years. Hopefully, no one will get stupid in the next two years and we can make it permanent.

Like "locked or secured case" in MA law, there's no actual definition of the actual range and probably won't be until and unless some LEO with a hardon for suppressor owners arrests someone. As far as I"m concerned, my side yard is my "sport shooting range" - it's got a target set up and all.

I think they'd be ok with that. I think they worded it that way to prohibit them for hunting. The other post about poaching basically suggests that too.

To those of you that know the procedure, how do I get one?

Dave

Find an NFA dealer, pick out the precise suppressor you want, fill out the Form 4 paperwork with your NFA dealer, and if you have an NFA trust, mail off the paperwork with a copy of your trust agreement and a check for $200. You'll get your approved application in 3-4 months, after which time you may take possession of the suppressor. There are additional steps required if you don't have an NFA trust.

You're reading it wrong. It sunsets in two years. Hopefully, no one will get stupid in the next two years and we can make it permanent.

If it doesn't, what happens to all the suppressors purchased? Since the tax is so large relative to the price, you'd take a real bath if you had to sell them.

If it doesn't, what happens to all the suppressors purchased? Since the tax is so large relative to the price, you'd take a real bath if you had to sell them.
Ah, then you enter the fun world of "taking" and the state has a whole bunch of trouble... [smile]

Do your patriotic duty and buy...

You can stash them in NH, Maine or something if you were really paranoid. There is no 5320 filing requirement for suppressors.

-Mike

You can stash them in NH, Maine or something if you were really paranoid. There is no 5320 filing requirement for suppressors.

-Mike
Yep, safe deposit box will do while you sue, but honestly, takings is one place that government often flinches before the lawsuit is required, which is why we have all these grandfather clauses.

As they should, the ownership of property and the inability of government to take it without Due Process is fundamental to our system of laws.

Yep, safe deposit box will do while you sue, but honestly, takings is one place that government often flinches before the lawsuit is required, which is why we have all these grandfather clauses.

As they should, the ownership of property and the inability of government to take it without Due Process is fundamental to our system of laws.

Unless, of course, the kopsch hop up and down and go "We're taking this... CUZ DRUGS ARE BAD, MMMKAY?" Civil asset forfeiture is about as far away from due process as you can get.

-Mike

Unless, of course, the kopsch hop up and down and go "We're taking this... CUZ DRUGS ARE BAD, MMMKAY?" Civil asset forfeiture is about as far away from due process as you can get.

-Mike
Agreed, which is why we need to fight this more often and why we need to stop electing Republicrats and most of all why we need to buy things because they might try to take them.

Back
Top Bottom