• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suppressors legal in Kansas, Why not Massachusetts

uziduzit

NES Member
Recently the legislators in Kansas passed a law allowing the ownership of firearms suppressors by qualified civilians. Its refreshing to actually see legislators voting pro gun once in a while. Now, a lot of gun owners here in Massachusetts complain to me that they wish they could own suppressors here in Massachusetts. Well, maybe this will be motivation for all of you to try to change the law here as well. For those who are not familiar with suppressors or those who think they are merely an assassin’s tool, please read on. Firstly, sound suppressors are not "silencers" and they don’t "silence" a firearm as portrayed in Hollywood movies. Suppressors, like car mufflers, merely reduce the decibel level of gunfire to a more palatable level, preventing hearing damage to the shooter. In many countries in Europe, the use of suppressors is actually mandatory for all hunters, similar to our laws governing the use of mufflers on cars, boats, motorcycles and lawnmowers, in order to reduce noise pollution. Secondly, the reason for Massachusetts laws preventing ownership of sound suppressors by the civilian population, contrary to popular belief, was not because of gangsters. During the Great depression of the 1930's Massachusetts legislature decided to ban suppressors to reduce poaching of farm animals by individuals who could not afford to buy food for their families. Finally, I have noticed that some conservative gun owners, especially hunters, try to separate themselves from us the "gun nuts," thinking that class III enthusiasts give their "legitimate" gun ownership a bad name. We'll over the years being in the Class III business, I have noticed that people who hate guns because they don't understand or fear them are much more prone to change their mind if they experience shooting a suppressed weapon, rather than a regular firearm, since it doesn’t make as much noise and is much more "pleasant" to shoot for the first time. Anyway, thought I'd pit this up for discussion. If anyone cares to rebut, feel free.

Geez, why don't you look for purchase/ownership of a firearm without a permit before asking for a suppressor?

I don't have a problem with licensing, as long as its done fairly. It eliminates the need for all the Brady BS like the 5 day wait and makes gun owners take a safety class.

I don't have a problem with licensing, as long as its done fairly. It eliminates the need for all the Brady BS like the 5 day wait and makes gun owners take a safety class.

Agreed, I really could care less about having to renew a permit every 5 years, whats the big deal...BUT WHY CAN'T I OWN A FRICKEN SUPRESSOR! Sure I have em up under my corporate name in Maine, but I wanna take em home! Seriously I can own Machineguns and grenade launchers here but not a supressor...All I wanna do is shoot quietly...

Last edited:

I have a problem with licensing in that you shouldn't need a permit to buy a gun. To carry, fine (SHALL ISSUE, though). But not to purchase or possess.

If I move to NH the first thing I'm buying is NOT going to be some silly gun that we normally can't get in MA... big deal... I'm buying suppressors, and at least 2 or 3 of the things.

IMO cans shouldn't even be NFA devices, frankly, but even given the current crappy federal laws I'd still plunk down the $200 tax and wait... cans are just plain awesome.

-Mike

suppressors

I enjoy shooting much more using suppressors. It takes that sharp crack out making it much more pleasant to fire .223 and .308 weapons, especially with short barrels.

5 day wait??? no license needed and no 5 day wait up here.

You shouldn't need to be licensed and take a safety class to exercise a Constitutionally protected right.

5 day wait??? no license needed and no 5 day wait up here.

You shouldn't need to be licensed and take a safety class to exercise a Constitutionally protected right.

+1
The only requirement to have the rights of a US citizen, is to be a US citizen. Anything else, is un-Constitutional.

We should be able to own them and we shouldn't have to pay an additional $200 for a stupid federal tax either. They are simply for hearing protection. Think about the noise pollution that they'd cut down on.
unrestricted9783.jpg

When your life is in danger, you need a gun ASAP, not as soon as you schedule a class, get approved by a chief and wait for your LTC to arrive in the mail.

Heh, laws.

The same people who tell you a motorcycle can't leave the factory with pipes louder than a fart don't let you put a muffler on your guns.

In a parallel universe, there are people sawing off state mandated silencers to make their guns louder and dangerous rebels who try to make their bikes as quiet as possible so they don't have to wear ear plugs.

And Freedom weeps in both places.

Last edited:

When your rights and liberty are doled out to you in the form of "permission"
from some elitist group of a**h***s who put their pants on the same way you do, you have no problem with it? If thats the case, will you have no problem handing your guns over when they come to take them away?

I meet a lot of idiots in my day job, and would have to say that a firearms safety course prior to them exercising their constitutional rights is not a bad thing.

BTW, Jim Nice Maxim CAN!! I especially like how the can is off-set from the center axis to allow for the use of iron sights. I have been playing around with a similar design but variances in indexing from one barrel to another makes it difficult to switch the can between various weapon platforms. Interesting how this design has been around for 100 years but only becoming popular now.

SHOT%20Show%202007%20-%20AAC_24.jpg

I meet a lot of idiots in my day job, and would have to say that a firearms safety course prior to them exercising their constitutional rights is not a bad thing.

I'd rather a mandatory gun safety class in school. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, gun grabbers! [smile][wink]

If suppressors were legal in Mass, the cops/neighbors might not hear the shots when you and your unarmed family are murdered in your home by illegally armed thugs looking for loose change in your couch cushions to support their meth habit.

but but but but but.. If Silencers were just available anywhere unrestricted.. How would the the neighbors near ranges then complain about the noise?? I tell you this just can not be allowed to happen!!

IMO cans shouldn't even be NFA devices, frankly, but even given the current crappy federal laws I'd still plunk down the $200 tax and wait... cans are just plain awesome.

-Mike

[smile] Who doesn't like a nice set of cans?

I'm working on getting some new cans too....

FOR THE GUNS!

NOT THOSE GUNS, THE PISTOLS!!

Geesh, what's wrong with you guys. [wink]

If suppressors were legal in Mass, the cops/neighbors might not hear the shots when you and your unarmed family are murdered in your home by illegally armed thugs looking for loose change in your couch cushions to support their meth habit.

When the cops hear the shots, it's over anyway.You and your family should not be unarmed anyway. Plus, if you take care of the situation with a good suppressor, you can get out the shovel and finish the job yourself. (after going thru the BG's pockets for loose change). Jack.

I think this is an important topic and should keep going. Some states in order to acquire a suppressor you need written permission from your local authorities. Usually they just sign off on it. Would have no issue with that here if we could get to that point. Seen some guys shooting subsonic 308s with a can and no need for hearing protection! Amazing.

How would we go about pushing this issue? Are there enough people here in MA to get together to make a push?

I think there are far more pressing issues in MA than suppressors (AG's list, discretionary licensing, AW ban, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom