Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

He's deeply disappointed.

So let me get this straight, based on recent posts today this is a great thing that really does nothing....that about right?
It will make a difference, but its not like some here think that you can call your PD tomorrow and they will change their entire application process.

Because, again, they are not held responsible.

Based on quick reading it feels like a win, but it is more about equal access to the law under the 14th. What would stop NYC from having a tiered license that applies to everyone? Imagine first 2 years you can only have a 22 with restrictions, etc, etc. As you show more responsible use you can have more or less. It feels like a win, but I think there will be new clever ways to restrict the right from NY, NJ, MA. CA, etc,etc.

It's a step in the right direction! That also happens to not be in the correct direction. But whatever! Winning!

"Perfect is the enemy of the good" problem is it will remain to be seen if "good" is even a real yield out of this in the near term. The "good" is pending on the legal grid squares that get bombed by RKBA advocate legal artillery with this in the next year or two. If there are a few hits and ruptured commies egos, then its "good" but if they end in misses or whiffs, it ends up being "meh".

He's deeply disappointed.

Maybe they won't prosecute his kid now.

For MA it will eliminate needing references or letters. It will eliminate the question of what purpose, IE all lawful purposes. It will also remove any denials without a felony. The language "moral character" in the opinion removes this.
No more letters to the chief of police asking to suck his his chud for your LTC.
I haven't looked at FID applications in a long time, but will it make any of those easier/simpler, with less steps?

How is this a step towards restoring our citizenry as able militiamen? Miller was supposed to cover that, which it did, and its 100% ignored. Heller was sorta supposed to cover it, which it did in theory which went ignored. McDonald was supposed to correct the part that states ignored about Heller and that's also ignored.

This ruling is inferior to all the ones I just listed. And it will also go ignored/abused/skirted. There's already a well established and publicly supported system that 100% undermines the 2A.

SCOTUS aint touching that shit.

The only thing SCOTUS touches for 2A cases is garbage like this.
EzAUIzYUYAUsJey.jpg

will have monumental ramifications far beyond carrying firearms in public — on everything from age restrictions to assault weapons bans to limits on high-capacity magazines,'
I wonder if the new firearms bill with age restrictions will now have to be pulled and redone.

I don't see how an e-filing scheme solves anything. So anyone goes online and fills out an LTC app similar to applying for a credit card. On the back end the local PD can do anything they want. What needs to happen is the power needs to be taken away from the police altogether. Otherwise the shenanigans are going to happen in a smoke filled backroom far from public scrutiny because the police are going to be pressured by local politicians with their own requirements. Then we're back where we started.
It should be like getting a fishing license or renewing a driver's license.

"Perfect is the enemy of the good" problem is it will remain to be seen if "good" is even a real yield out of this in the near term. The "good" is pending on the legal grid squares that get bombed by RKBA advocate legal artillery with this in the next year or two. If there are a few hits and ruptured commies egos, then its "good" but if they end in misses or whiffs, it ends up being "meh".

The way I see is cases like NYC are tablescraps. It's a bullshit case in a bullshit state in a bullshit city. The states lost. The cities lost. Meanwhile, the anti's are making major traction in all sorts of creative and convoluted systems that they are marketing very well via the common sense association.

The reason why I'm not happy is I think we're running low on time. What time we have left needs to be able to shore up actual fighters with tools of the trade. Not this shit. This shit isnt going to be defending us from a rouge government. Which is what the 2A is about and what we need stronger protections with.

Based on quick reading it feels like a win, but it is more about equal access to the law under the 14th. What would stop NYC from having a tiered license that applies to everyone? Imagine first 2 years you can only have a 22 with restrictions, etc, etc. As you show more responsible use you can have more or less. It feels like a win, but I think there will be new clever ways to restrict the right from NY, NJ, MA. CA, etc,etc.
From the opinion:

"Thomas writes that the Second and Fourteenth Amendments safeguard Americans' right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home."

See the word right in the opinion. This is a major expansion of the Second Amendment right.

It should be like getting a fishing license or renewing a driver's license.

So it still costs money to exercise this right? Or are we talking about something that looks like applying for a credit card online. I fill it out and the credit card shows up in a week, but at no point am I paying the bank for an application.

If what I'm reading here is correct (and it makes sense), the entire "suitability" farce should only be able to continue if it has specifically defined reasons to continue, rather than at the discretion of the Chiefs or any other individual. I'd imagine restrictions might go the same way? Meaning, specifically defined situations would need to arise before they could be imposed?

I trust the Commonwealth already has those specifics drafted, sadly. They knew this was coming.
One is either qualified or not! The licensing officer or Chief better have a damn good reason to deny, or the town may end up in a serious financial hole, like mine would!
I'm about to go down and demand my restrictions get removed lol
Don't move so fast! Wait for organizations like GOAL and Comm2A to issue statements on what you and others like you should do next! There is much greater strength in numbers. I'm sure the liberal DB Healey is standing on her head trying to figure out how to handle this before the lawsuits come rolling in too!

Hmm, sure pissed off NY Governor and AG according to their press releases. It's a slap in the face to them as well as NJ, etc. Let's them know their anti-gun scheme's are illegal and doomed. Winning! Will it deter them? We'll see but the ruling let's them know their tyranny is not unchallenged and absolute! Their Trump Derangement Syndrome just kicked in and the ghost of Donald Trump is hovering over them yelling MAGA! [rockon]

The way I see is cases like NYC are tablescraps. It's a bullshit case in a bullshit state in a bullshit city. The states lost. The cities lost. Meanwhile, the anti's are making major traction in all sorts of creative and convoluted systems that they are marketing very well via the common sense association.
They are not. Every year we have more consitutional carry States.

States with licenses are slowly getting better (including MA).

Recently 3 states passed mag bans, those will get killed.

We read about a lot of BS going on because NES posts about it all the time, but almost all that junk is a waste of time and effort that goes nowhere.

There are 2 or 3 full retard States, but we have 47- 48 other States getting better.

So it still costs money to exercise this right? Or are we talking about something that looks like applying for a credit card online. I fill it out and the credit card shows up in a week, but at no point am I paying the bank for an application.
i believe one of the reasons cities and towns drag their feet on applications is that they probably get $10-$20 of the $100 fee if you can automate most of it it should in theory speed up turn around times

The reason why I'm not happy is I think we're running low on time. What time we have left needs to be able to shore up actual fighters with tools of the trade. Not this shit. This shit isnt going to be defending us from a rouge government. Which is what the 2A is about and what we need stronger protections with.

IMHO it is a WIN but its like saying "YAY WE WON FREE PARKING! it used to be $50!!!!!" meanwhile bad actors in government are scheeming to just outlaw gasoline powered cars on the other end. Red Flag is a great example of the other side of the scale. Oh great so you won shall issue carry everywhere. Yay! but on the other hand while everyone is jerking off over that, congress is basically trying to rubber stamp Lautenberg 2.0 which basically will have a "we can take away guns form anyone we dont like" red flag system built into it where a local antifa fgt or some angry broad can just basically report anyone they dont like and get their shit taken away. I'm waiting for these f***ers to work the "no fly = no guns" list thing in too, thats next, if they didnt try to roll it in already. A secret list maintined by gov that doesnt involve due process of law determining a prohibited person. That's just wonderful.

I think that in the decision SCOTUS said you can't treat this right differently. It has be treated the same as all other civil rights.

The opinion says restrictions must be consistent with American tradition. So this is a sign AWB, mag bans, red flag etc won’t fly because those are all new restrictions.
So I should sell my prebans now for a premium and buy double post bans when it's rescinded in 40 years?

i believe one of the reasons cities and towns drag their feet on applications is that they probably get $10-$20 of the $100 fee if you can automate most of it it should in theory speed up turn around times

Wouldn't charging a fee be going against this decision though? I don't pay for a license to privacy. I simply have it.

I wonder what it means for restrictions in red towns such as Brookline and Boston?
From what I understand, getting ‘unrestricted’ in Boston means proving you have a necessary reason to carry i.e. lawyer, doctor, connected, etc.
I think Brookline will renew without restrictions? This decision would seemingly pave the way for the restrictions becoming a thing of the past, but I really have no idea what I’m talking about.
Brookline is one of the few towns that will add restrictions to unrestricted licenses upon renewal.

This ruling should eliminate restricted licenses in MA. Question is whether the state will comply with SCotUS without having to be dragged through years of litigation or if the legislature will pass a bill with Shall Issue licensing but a bunch of other random bullshit to make us unhappy.

They are not.

Well, yes and no. Look at these fudd shit eating RINOs shoring up Red Flag UBC and all that shit right now. We'll see how that shakes out. But those are the proverbial 1000 cuts and a wide red flag law is pretty evil. (The oriignal Lautenberg is evil, but this has the potential to become pretty nasty)

It's not antis we have to worry about quite as much as wobblies in the middle of the debate getting to dictate policiy. These people jerk off over shit like Red flag, background checks, UBC, age limits, shit like that.

Optically gun owners are generally winning, but its easy to see how on the other end these f***ers are trying to steal the radio while were listening to it.

Exactly. It will also stop the dicking around of licensing officers never answering their phone or replying to Emails so people can drop their applications.

Online submissions would solve a bunch of problems.
It starts the clock ticking at time of application. Turnaround should be quicker, if not immediate.

It also could kill all the extra requirements. If the online portion is the application, then the PD exists for prints and interview...
This means a statewide STANDARD. Actually, it would be nationwide, since they specifically mentioned following the shall issue states.

Yeah but they were also shitting their pants over Heller too. Of course heller was more fundamental than this is. Because it "broke the supreme court hymen" on not taking 2A cases, thats why it was a big deal.

Wouldn't charging a fee be going against this decision though? I don't pay for a license to privacy. I simply have it.

A fee would be allowed if it’s reasonable. Basically a fee is to pay for the costs of making the license, processing the paperwork etc. a fee designed to prevent people from getting a license wouldn’t be allowed.

Back
Top Bottom