• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Chuckles was extremely innocuous, by MTP standards. Literally just a rundown of a lot of the implications we've been talking about here.

They do seem flat-footed. I want to hope that's because Thomas' reasoning was so tight.
Probably because of how little wiggle room Thomas made, but mainly because the ruling came out the day before Roe, which is the more important issue.

Prior to NYSRPA, the Anti strategy and Bloomberg were to get states to pass state restrictions and that's pretty much out the window now because those laws will be thrown out by the courts. Now that the courts have so much authority over 2A my guess is that the money the Anti's spend is now going to go into getting people in the Senate and White House to nominate and confirm lower court judges who are Anti-gun.

The writing is on the wall tho: state based restrictions on guns is null and void. It may take 5-10 years to fully implement that, but it is coming.

My next concern would be the Anti's trying to choke off the ammo supply. Lead is an easy target and shooting non lead bullets is a recipie for high prices and or shit accuracy, especially from rifles. Handguns can run fine with solid copper or copper-polymer bullets, but rifles need lead. This is my biggest concern because lead is what firearms have been built around shooting for about 700 years. Lead is cheap, easy to form, heavy, and all around the best and most cost effective bullet available. The bullet is the most expensive part of a cartridge and by doubling or tripling the cost of the bullet, it will raise ammo price considerably.

"Over 90% of the people prosecuted for unlicensed gun possession in New York City are Black and brown."

No doubt. I wonder how many of that 90% would have passed a NICS check prior to their illegal possession charge? Theirs is a dog-eat-dog world, with mostly black/brown dogs eating one another.

"Eighty-one percent of the 330 people interviewed told researchers that they had been the target of a shooting and 87 percent said they had owned or carried a gun. Nearly 90 percent said a family member or friend had been victim of gun violence, according to the study. Many of them obtained their illegal guns when they were as young as 14, according to researchers."

The difference is that Maura would actively lobby the legislature to pass an anti gun bill. Baker wouldn’t.

You are making exactly the same mistake that progressives made during the Bush v Gore campaign in the 2000 presidential election. “There is no difference between Gore and Bush” they claimed, so they voted for Nader instead, who more closely matched their leftist views. As a result, Bush was elected. Then came the Iraq invasion and they realized there really is a difference between a Democrat and a Republican.

Is Baker a conservative? No. He’s not. But he also isn’t left wing Democrat.

The late columnist Mark Shields was known to point out that politics should be about finding converts, not punishing heretics. Both the Democratic and Republican parties are currently fixated on punishing heretics.

In MA, about 10% of the voters are registered Republicans and 32% registered Democrats. Only 18% of the MA State House are Republicans. In the last presidential election, Biden got 66% of the vote in MA while Trump got 32% of the vote. MA voters will not elect a conservative to a state-wide office. It won’t happen. In a choice between a liberal Democrat and a moderate Republican, a moderate Republican will be closer to our views more often than the Democrat. But our current MA Republican Party is delusional and is focusing on punishing heretics. The result is that they are pushing a conservative candidate for Governor who has aligned himself with Trump. At best, Diehl will get 30% of the vote (I predict a lot less because Diehl is a moron). Our next Governor will be Maura Healey and then the Republicans who spitefully railed at Baker will realize that just like there really was a big difference between Gore and Bush, there really is a big difference between Healey and Baker. Of course, by that time it will be too late because they’ve spent the last 6 years destroying the Republican Party in Massachusetts.
Devalue was far more of a vocal leftist gun grabber than Baker by far and less gun control passed under him than Baker.
I'll let that fact stand for itself.

Even San Francisco’s recently ousted district attorney Chesa Boudin admitted that he didn’t report it when his car was broken into.

SF is the car break in capital of the country. If you leave anything in a car they smash the window and steal it within 10 minutes. SF is a mess for a few major reasons. A very permissive drug policy, taxpayer benefits to homeless (many are on drugs and or mentally ill) and lax criminal enforcement.

As bad as SF is, I think Portland Oregon and Seattle are quite a bit worse. SF voters and some govt people see the problem of their policies, Portland and Seattle don’t look to be changing at all.

Which, I think, would satisfy the letter, but certainly not the intent.

They're so petty. They're setting themselves up for a Caetano-type smackdown.
Not necessarily - there is credible room for federal litigation. Now that SCOTUS has determined that carry out the home is a 2A right, the constitution demands due process for removal of that right. Back in aught 5, SCOTUS heard Small v. US. The issue was if a foreign conviction met the requirements to render someone a prohibited person under 18USC922(g). One of the observations by the court was that if this were the case, someone could be made a PP for engaging in behavior in a country with different rules that is commendable in the US (speaking freely about the government, engaging in free enterprise, etc.). SCOTUS ruled that Small did not become a PP because he was not afforded due process of US courts in his foreign criminal trial. Small won Big.

The gun licensing example would be that such a policy makes someone a prohibited person for carry if there were arrested because of mis-identification; OUI for a 0% BAC , being found not guilty by a court/jury etc.

Much of current jurisprudence revolves around the courts treatment of the removal of 2A rights as an administrative matter, rather than a deprivation of a constitutionally protected right. That will likely be a game changer.

There was more leeway to get away with this sort of thing, particularly in regard to carry, when carry licensing was considered "administrative" rather than "licensing of a protected right" (yeah, I know, an oxymoron). For example, one of Comm2a's cases based on Heller was dismissed because the applicant was denied an LTC and the court ruled there was not standing because the person did not apply for the minimal license required to exercise Heller rights (a never-issued as far as the state knows Permit to Purchase plus a FID card that only covers a handgun in the home when the assistant AG is using that as a talking point to buffalo the court). Now, an LTC is the minimum to exercise Heller/Bruen rights, making it much harder to deny standing.

Last edited:
SF is the car break in capital of the country. If you leave anything in a car they smash the window and steal it within 10 minutes. SF is a mess for a few major reasons. A very permissive drug policy, taxpayer benefits to homeless (many are on drugs and or mentally ill) and lax criminal enforcement.

As bad as SF is, I think Portland Oregon and Seattle are quite a bit worse. SF voters and some govt people see the problem of their policies, Portland and Seattle don’t look to be changing at all.

It's a real shame, too. SF is a beautiful setting, and the city had a lot of culture and history. I've visited many times over the past 40 years, but I wouldn't bother visiting now.

Oh, and what other “publicly available information” is out there?

Your political donations. (Look yourself or your coworkers up now at FEC.gov under “individual contributions”)

Your political party affiliation (most states).

You’d be amazed how much some people post online under their own name or available to their “friends” on social media. Some have thousands of “friends” on Facebook, instagram, etc. and liberals would use that garbage group southern poverty center which labels anything right of center a hate group.

A few interesting notes from FPC:

1) When analyzing Second Amendment claims, lower courts cannot use a "two-step" approach or apply weak "tiered" scrutiny. Instead, the courts will have to perform a historical analysis and determine if the conduct or instrument is protected. If it is protected, and the person is not prohibited under constitutional standards, the challenger should win. This test applies beyond carry cases, and will be important in our lawsuits challenging bans on so-called "assault weapons," handgun "rosters" and microstamping, and other cases seeking to enjoin unconstitutional restrictions on protected firearms and conduct.

2) Today's decision means that if states restrict firearm carry to only those who first obtain a license, then the person must be allowed to carry unless prohibited from exercising Second Amendment rights under constitutional standards.

3) As a practical matter, this decision is likely to mean that peaceable people must be allowed to carry in most public places. The Court said, "Put simply, there is no historical basis for New York to effectively declare the island of Manhattan a 'sensitive place' simply because it is crowded and protected generally by the New York City Police Department." Under the Court's analysis, there would seem to be a limited number of places where governments may be able to impose location-based restrictions, but the decision does appear to leave untouched specific questions of what those are. We will be actively litigating such restrictions and look forward to restoring the human right to bear arms.

4) The Court expressly held that “when the Second Amendment’s plain text covers an individual’s conduct, the Constitution presumptively protects that conduct.”

5) This decision is binding on all lower courts. Current and future cases filed in various jurisdictions will address enforcement of similar laws and other restrictions. And while the remedies in the case apply directly to the parties, governments and law enforcement throughout the nation would be wise to immediately consider this binding decision, end enforcement of their unconstitutional policies and practices, and stop violating fundamental human rights.

6) Under the text-based (informed by history) test announced in Bruen there should be no question that non-general taxes and fees directed at arms are suspect and ripe for challenge.

7) As a practical matter, we anticipate that jurisdictions hostile to the human right to keep and bear arms will place obstacles in the way of applicants. However, when they do, we want people to reach out and let us know by filing a report with our FPC 2A Hotline at 2Ahotline.com: FPC Legal Action Hotline - Submit a Report. Governments that continue to deny the right to carry will be sued.

From: BruenFAQ.org - FPC's NYSRPA v. Bruen FAQ and 'Splainer
#6 sounds like the $5 AOW and $200 tax stamp is going to be going away. I mean, most of the NFA might be going away, but at the last the $200 tax sounds like it will.

You’d be amazed how much some people post online under their own name or available to their “friends” on social media. Some have thousands of “friends” on Facebook, instagram, etc. and liberals would use that garbage group southern poverty center which labels anything right of center a hate group.
I did once I was old enough to know I would never interview for another job so I didn't have to worry about getting blackballed for that. I've also never made posts that express a sentiment, not mean to be taken literally, that would appear to advocate or encourage illegal means of obtaining a desired outcome.

Last edited:
It's a real shame, too. SF is a beautiful setting, and the city had a lot of culture and history. I've visited many times over the past 40 years, but I wouldn't bother visiting now.

I’ve never been but have seen pictures and such. There are areas of beach communities in LA which are homeless encampments name too.

A relative was in SF probably 15 years ago and saw two gay men holding hands walking down the street completely naked except flip flops. The owner of conservative website zombietime lived in that area and would post pictures and stuff from the crazy protests there and street fairs. The Folsom street fair was disgusting. Sex acts on public streets with cops standing feet away ignoring it, the toys and such were beyond disgusting. Most men were naked with c##k rings, Etc. the saddest part was the people who brought kids to it.

I think an interesting statistic if available would be how many gun charges got dropped for criminals rather than brought to tiral. I bet the charges dropped is astonishing high.

I’ll take Charlie the waffle man with butter and syrup over tyrant lesbian Satan incarnate any day.
Kind of like comparing a polite rapist to a rude one isn't it?
I like him because he didn't wipe his d*ck off on the curtains on the way out.
Don't get me wrong , I wouldn't want to see that evil bitch running a yard sale never mind a state , but let's not forget Charlie boy gleefully signed one of the most heinous , unconstitutional pieces of anti gun legislation ever into law.
Some skank you dated in 1984 can now pick up a phone lie like a rug and throw a f*ck into your life that you may never recover from and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.
Everybody thank the nice republican man .

I can’t wait for the AWB stuff - hard to say how any of that stuff is going to stand given that along with mag bans it all stood based on that two step BA which is explicitly called out in this ruling.

Someone mentioned earlier the potential impact on knives, which are arms. Anyone have any thoughts on if anything will change down the road on this front? It’s outrageous you can’t carry auto knives in MA. I would think a permitting process would have to exist, versus 100% ban
I would think that knives and other edged weapons are going to be challenged eventually, once 2A people are satisfied with removal of restrictions of their firearms rights. I know in Rhode Island the legal length of a blade carried concealed must be 3 inches or less, which is nearly useless for self defense and there is no license or permit you can obtain that allows for conceal carrying a knife with a longer blade, it is for all intents and purposes a total ban. Nobody has ever bothered to challenge it.

Other states have a legal length of 4 inches, Indiana has a ban on throwing or ninja stars... the various states have some strange laws when it comes to cutting and slashing weapons.

I would think this would also make machine gun licenses shall issue.

Time to get involved with your local club committees and change the club rules to allow full auto.

That and start playing the lottery to afford it.
Once the Hughes Amendment is removed (either thru courts or Congress) the cost of machine guns will plummet. They will cost the same as semi auto versions.

And would be the only way I could justify spending $800 on a Skorpion Vz 61... if it was full auto.

A few interesting notes from FPC:

1) When analyzing Second Amendment claims, lower courts cannot use a "two-step" approach or apply weak "tiered" scrutiny. Instead, the courts will have to perform a historical analysis and determine if the conduct or instrument is protected. If it is protected, and the person is not prohibited under constitutional standards, the challenger should win. This test applies beyond carry cases, and will be important in our lawsuits challenging bans on so-called "assault weapons," handgun "rosters" and microstamping, and other cases seeking to enjoin unconstitutional restrictions on protected firearms and conduct.

2) Today's decision means that if states restrict firearm carry to only those who first obtain a license, then the person must be allowed to carry unless prohibited from exercising Second Amendment rights under constitutional standards.

3) As a practical matter, this decision is likely to mean that peaceable people must be allowed to carry in most public places. The Court said, "Put simply, there is no historical basis for New York to effectively declare the island of Manhattan a 'sensitive place' simply because it is crowded and protected generally by the New York City Police Department." Under the Court's analysis, there would seem to be a limited number of places where governments may be able to impose location-based restrictions, but the decision does appear to leave untouched specific questions of what those are. We will be actively litigating such restrictions and look forward to restoring the human right to bear arms.

4) The Court expressly held that “when the Second Amendment’s plain text covers an individual’s conduct, the Constitution presumptively protects that conduct.”

5) This decision is binding on all lower courts. Current and future cases filed in various jurisdictions will address enforcement of similar laws and other restrictions. And while the remedies in the case apply directly to the parties, governments and law enforcement throughout the nation would be wise to immediately consider this binding decision, end enforcement of their unconstitutional policies and practices, and stop violating fundamental human rights.

6) Under the text-based (informed by history) test announced in Bruen there should be no question that non-general taxes and fees directed at arms are suspect and ripe for challenge.

7) As a practical matter, we anticipate that jurisdictions hostile to the human right to keep and bear arms will place obstacles in the way of applicants. However, when they do, we want people to reach out and let us know by filing a report with our FPC 2A Hotline at 2Ahotline.com: FPC Legal Action Hotline - Submit a Report. Governments that continue to deny the right to carry will be sued.

From: BruenFAQ.org - FPC's NYSRPA v. Bruen FAQ and 'Splainer
The more I see about this, the more I think that it may be a ruling on the specific case but very carefully crafted to open the door to many other things .
I think Thomas knew this might be the best shot in a long time to get it done.

Once the Hughes Amendment is removed (either thru courts or Congress) the cost of machine guns will plummet. They will cost the same as semi auto versions.

And would be the only way I could justify spending $800 on a Skorpion Vz 61... if it was full auto.
That's not being removed.

"Over 90% of the people prosecuted for unlicensed gun possession in New York City are Black and brown."

No doubt. I wonder how many of that 90% would have passed a NICS check prior to their illegal possession charge? Theirs is a dog-eat-dog world, with mostly black/brown dogs eating one another.

"Eighty-one percent of the 330 people interviewed told researchers that they had been the target of a shooting and 87 percent said they had owned or carried a gun. Nearly 90 percent said a family member or friend had been victim of gun violence, according to the study. Many of them obtained their illegal guns when they were as young as 14, according to researchers."

That's the left's dirty little secret. 40% of all abortions are black women. 90% of NYC prosecutions are minorities. They've never changed. They're literally talking minorities to walk into the cattle cars of their own free will. You can hear it in their conversations when talking to them in an all white circle of people, which is what they prefer.

One of my co-workers had a five day trip planned last year.
Her and her husband ejected in less than one.
She was horrified .

I’ve never been but have seen pictures and such. There are areas of beach communities in LA which are homeless encampments name too.

A relative was in SF probably 15 years ago and saw two gay men holding hands walking down the street completely naked except flip flops. The owner of conservative website zombietime lived in that area and would post pictures and stuff from the crazy protests there and street fairs. The Folsom street fair was disgusting. Sex acts on public streets with cops standing feet away ignoring it, the toys and such were beyond disgusting. Most men were naked with c##k rings, Etc. the saddest part was the people who brought kids to it.

One of my co-workers had a five day trip planned last year.
Her and her husband ejected in less than one.
She was horrified .

Lol.

It's almost fifty square miles. It's got a lot of different neighborhoods. I'd rather judge Boston by the North End or Back Bay than by Mass & Cass. San Francisco is still mostly lovely. Avoid the Castro and you're fine.

Cow Hollow, Marina, Ft Mason, and the Embarcadero are still well worth a visit. It's a great walking area.

The more I see about this, the more I think that it may be a ruling on the specific case but very carefully crafted to open the door to many other things .
I think Thomas knew this might be the best shot in a long time to get it done.

100%. He said as much in the ruling itself.

I don’t want to suggest he did anything unbecoming his position or abused his position in any way, but it’s entirely possible the attacks on his wife during the Jan 6th freak show were enough to push him to take the gloves off, or perhaps realize more than ever how much peril this country is in and how important it is that 2A stand between tyranny and liberty.

Whatever the case, he clearly is gloves off here:

134CBC1B-59AA-4D68-A22F-F3AB64D83F35.png

That’s her pre-election statement. Rocking the boat now is bad politics.

It’s post-election Healey we should be concerned about
I'm still not convinced that Maura is 'unbeatable' and/or a 'guaranteed winner' when she runs for Governor...and there's always the possibility of something damaging tucked away in her closet...(Y'know, like maybe she was the central figure in a straight, wild gangbang by some visiting NHL team at the Ritz Carlton one night?? etc etc) 😁

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Lol.

It's almost fifty square miles. It's got a lot of different neighborhoods. I'd rather judge Boston by the North End or Back Bay than by Mass & Cass. San Francisco is still mostly lovely. Avoid the Castro and you're fine.

Cow Hollow, Marina, Ft Mason, and the Embarcadero are still well worth a visit. It's a great walking area.
It's almost like you've actually been. ;)

Back
Top Bottom