Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Yes. In fact, you have to.

It's more money than just the stamp, but you're paying for the proof of delivery.
Now will they ship the letter for me and everything or do u think hand delivering like another member said above ? And is it as easy as requesting a certified letter at the post office or how does it work ? Thank you everyone for ur help !!

Now will they ship the letter for me and everything or do u think hand delivering like another member said above ? And is it as easy as requesting a certified letter at the post office or how does it work ? Thank you everyone for ur help !!

Getting the certified letter is better than hand-delivering, IMO, in terms of creating the paper trail you want to create. You put your letter in the envelope and seal it up. Take it to the post office and tell the nice man behind the counter that you want to send a certified letter to such-and-such an address, and they'll take it from there.

A few days later, you'll get a slip in the mail telling you it got delivered. Save the slip.

You fill out a green return receipt postcard (in one of the little stands with the writing surface at the post office) with the recipients address on one side and your on the other. Take your envelope to the window and hand the card & letter to the uniformed federal agent. You'll get a receipt with the tracking number, and the recipient signs the postcard at time of delivery and it is mailed back to you. Somewhere around $5 +/-. Do not hand deliver - getting the receipt will be awkward. Let the federal agent with a field assignment do it.

Getting the certified letter is better than hand-delivering, IMO, in terms of creating the paper trail you want to create. You put your letter in the envelope and seal it up. Take it to the post office and tell the nice man behind the counter that you want to send a certified letter to such-and-such an address, and they'll take it from there.

A few days later, you'll get a slip in the mail telling you it got delivered. Save the slip.
Thanks Picton !! Awesome

You fill out a green return receipt postcard (in one of the little stands with the writing surface at the post office) with the recipients address on one side and your on the other. Take your envelope to the window and hand the card & letter to the uniformed federal agent. You'll get a receipt with the tracking number, and the recipient signs the postcard at time of delivery and it is mailed back to you. Somewhere around $5 +/-. Do not hand deliver - getting the receipt will be awkward. Let the federal agent with a field assignment do it.
Thanks for making it super easy for me !!

Make sure you have a copy of whatever it is you are sending as well.

References to Bruen in Vanchoff v. James:

48. When the Second Circuit upheld the constitutionality of New York’s laws in 2015, it relied on a two-step test that was “one step too many.” Bruen, 2022 WL 2251305, at *9; see Cuomo, 804 F.3d at 253. Because the Second Circuit concluded that the so-called “assault weapons” at issue here are in common use, it should have held that the ban on ownership of such firearms violates the Second Amendment. Cuomo, 804 F.3d at 254; see Bruen, 2022 WL 2251305, at *9.

49. In order to justify a law that affects Plaintiffs’ Second Amendment rights, the government bears the affirmative burden of proving that the regulation is consistent with our nation’s history and tradition. Bruen, 2022 WL 2251305, at *9. As a matter of law, any regulation that bans firearm ownership in common use for lawful purposes like self-defense is inconsistent with this nation’s history and tradition, and thus violates the Second Amendment. Id. at 12; Heller, 554 U.S. at 624.

54. The Second Amendment is an “unqualified command.” Bruen, 2022 WL 2251305, at *11. The Second Amendment does not accommodate the use of any “means-ends scrutiny” of the kind that the Second Circuit applied when it upheld the constitutionality of New York’s laws. Id.; Cuomo, 804 F.3d at 253. When a law—like New York’s laws at issue here— prevents citizens from owning firearms that are in common use for lawful purposes, then the law violates the Second Amendment. Bruen, 2022 WL 2251305, at *11. It cannot be justified by reference to any countervailing governmental interest. Id.

Sending a certified letter is like sending a regular letter. Except that you fill out a small form and hand it, the letter, and your cash to the clerk. The post office then delivers it.

You are mistakenly thinking this is like a notary. It’s not. It is mailing a letter but with tracking so that you have legal proof that the post office delivered the letter.

Write the letter. Put it in an envelope. Address the envelope. When you get to the post office there are little tables with bins of small forms. Fill out the certified letter form. It will need your address and the address of the police station.

Then fill out the green return receipt card. The return receipt card needs your address on it. Hand the receipt card to the clerk with your letter, the certified form, and your cash. Don’t worry, the clerk will help you, they do this all the time.

When the postman gets to the PD, your letter will have the return receipt taped to it. The postman will wait while someone at the PD signs the return receipt. Then the postman puts the return receipt in the mail to you, so you have proof signed by someone at the PD that they received your letter. Whoever signed for it will likely give the licensing officer a heads up about the return receipt, though it will also be clear on the outside of the envelope. The licensing officer will then realize the implied threat of the paper trail.

Last edited:
Excuse me for the multiple questions but I’m wondering can I go to the post office for a certified letter ?
You first write the letter and put it in an envelope. Then, you get from the PO Form 3800 which you then attach to the outside of the envelope and then mail it from the PO.

1657670923993.png

Thanks for making it super easy for me !!
To be clear, you are not getting a certified letter to send, you are writing your own letter and sending it certified mail.
Problem is, only you knows what's in the envelope, the receipt only shows the PD got your envelope.

Return receipt is an additional service to a certified letter. I believe it is worth the extra effort/nominal fee to get in this case. Certified letter you use the number to look up the delivery confirm online. Return receipt gets you a green card back in the mail with who signed for it.

Last edited:
Sending a certified letter is like sending a regular letter. Except that you fill out a small form and hand it, the letter, and your cash to the clerk. The post office then delivers it.

You are mistakenly thinking this is like a notary. It’s not. It is mailing a letter but with tracking so that you have legal proof that the post office delivered the letter.

Write the letter. Put it in an envelope. Address the envelope. When you get to the post office there are little tables with bins of small forms. Fill out the certified letter form. It will need your address and the address of the police station.

Then fill out the green return receipt card. The return receipt card needs your address on it. Hand the receipt card to the clerk with your letter, the certified form, and your cash. Don’t worry, the clerk will help you, they do this all the time.

When the postman gets to the PD, your letter will have the return receipt taped to it. The postman will wait while someone at the PD signs the return receipt. Then the postman puts the return receipt in the mail to you, so you have proof signed by someone at the PD that they received your letter. Whoever signed for it will likely give the licensing officer a heads up about the return receipt, though it will also be clear on the outside of the envelope. The licensing officer will then realize the implied threat of the paper trail.

Awesome man doing this the first second I get a chance super easy even hopefully it can be the end of this

A good article highlighting the states still flaunting the Bruen decision by keeping subjective criteria for LTC licenses, aka suitability/good moral character standards.

Last edited:
A good article highlighting the states still flaunting the Bruen decision by keeping subjective criteria for LTC licenses, aka suitability/good moral character standards.

Of course, the question is: What is SCOTUS prepared to do about this blatant in-your-face leftist backlash? Can it do anything at all? Or do we have to wait another 10 years for another ruling that will also be ignored by the left???

Of course, the question is: What is SCOTUS prepared to do about this blatant in-your-face leftist backlash? Can it do anything at all? Or do we have to wait another 10 years for another ruling that will also be ignored by the left???
The proper response would be to release a notice that Bruen was clear instruction that the 2A was not to be treated as a second class right and any attempt to circumvent the decision legislatively would result in an immediate per curiam striking down the legislation and removing any level of qualified immunity from the arresting officers all the way to the politician submitting the legislation.

An AWB will be before SCOTUS at some point in the next few years IMO.
If the lower courts follow the clear rules in Bruen, it won't reach SCOTUS, but it will be a state by state battle.

Read the complaint I posted above, it is ironclad. How the states will be able put forth a cogent argument against the common use doctrine is beyond me. It doesn't appear possible.

Yup, and Mrs and Mrs Grant are buried in Grants Tomb.
Along with George Washington's white horse. ;)

Yes, go to the post office to send a certified letter.
I giggled a bit, but you know, the RMV still isn't open for business. So it's a valid question.

Neither is the IRS.

I mean, WTF??? Again, I'd have a field day as the politician-in-charge. I'd embarrass them into opening their doors. The level of stupidity and laziness is epic.

If the lower courts follow the clear rules in Bruen, it won't reach SCOTUS, but it will be a state by state battle.

Read the complaint I posted above, it is ironclad. How the states will be able put forth a cogent argument against the common use doctrine is beyond me. It doesn't appear possible.
True, but you're being logical again.

SCOTUS did take up a NYSRPA vs NYC in 2019 when Ginsberg was still on the court but NYC changed the law and mooted the case.
Yeah, that was BS. SCOTUS should have still ruled for future reference.

In fact, to slap them, the court should have said something along the line of "law XYZ is unconstitutional. By changing it, the Stste of NY recognized this" ... a f*ck you to every other State thinking of pulling that sh*t.

In addition to listing myriad places where permit holders may not carry firearms, New York's law bans guns in all private establishments open to the public unless they post conspicuous signs announcing that they are deviating from the default rule—a step many business owners will be reluctant to take. A bill backed by California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Attorney General Rob Bonta takes a similar approach.”

Government requiring private entities to affirmatively indicate by signage that a civil right may be exercised on their property seems wrong. Could government require “Blacks served here” signs? But that parallel is not exact.

In exercise of 1st Amendment rights to assemble and speak, government can require Parade Permits and specify a route or area for a demonstration/protest. But only on public property.

While Bruen elevated the 2ndA to Fundamental Right status, the caveats on who, what, where, when RKBA can be exercised remain ill-defined.

I suppose we should thank NY and CA for their new egregious state laws. While before, city-level and county-level policy and practice wrt suitability and cause made these states checkerboards of RKBA, it’s now black and white statewide. Driving through rural NY, it’s not uncommon to still see lawn signs opposing the Safe Act. Now those that couldn’t legally own 10rd+ mags cannot possess guns in a myriad of places. For them, post-Bruen NY made them felons at farmstands.

Back
Top Bottom