• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Surplus permits go on sale this week. Don't forget

For those not in the know like myself, what does this do?
You can only take deer based on the tag(s) you have. If a hunter wanted to be able to take an antlerless deer (doe, fawn, etc) they'd need an appropriate tag. It will also be region-specific, so you can't for example use a Region 9 tag on the Cape.
In an attempt to ensure fair distribution, there's a lottery before the season. Once that's complete, folks can buy the remaining tags for the year.

You can only take deer based on the tag(s) you have. If a hunter wanted to be able to take an antlerless deer (doe, fawn, etc) they'd need an appropriate tag. It will also be region-specific, so you can't for example use a Region 9 tag on the Cape.
In an attempt to ensure fair distribution, there's a lottery before the season. Once that's complete, folks can buy the remaining tags for the year.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea.

That's it, Just keep paying the state that keeps oppressing your rights.

Hopefully I don't have a repeat of last year. I had a lot of tags no deer. And it wasn't for a lack of hours in the woods. I wounded one during muzzleloader shit shot tracked for 5 miles over 2 days. He Crossed back over his tracks and lost him.

Tracked one for 5 miles? Good lord that’s a long way, was it in snow? I got my first doe permit today for zone 10 I’ll get 2 more and that’s a wrap for me

For the surplus doe tags, is it possible to get more than one surplus tag for the same zone?

What I've always done is to put in for the 9 or 10 when I buy the license on line and then get a surplus for the other one. That works. Jack.
Fwiw zone 9 didn't have many surplus last year. So I applied for 9 first....then go after a 10 surplus.

Fwiw zone 9 didn't have many surplus last year. So I applied for 9 first....then go after a 10 surplus.
9,10, and 11 are in stock right now. I’m sure 10 and 11 will stay up for awhile.

9,10, and 11 are in stock right now. I’m sure 10 and 11 will stay up for awhile.
Yes 10 and 11 usually have quite a few surplus. Last season I tried to buy a spare zone 9 and they sold out in minutes.

Tracked one for 5 miles? Good lord that’s a long way, was it in snow? I got my first doe permit today for zone 10 I’ll get 2 more and that’s a wrap for me
Yes there was about 4 in of fresh snow on the ground. Without the snow it would have been impossible to track that far. The next day when we went in we saw him bedded down. But it was in a restricted area so I couldn't take a shot. He jumped up and kept going. So there's either a three-legged Buck out there or he didn't make the winter.

I applied for antlerless tags in July for zone 11. Thought I would be a lock. Just checked my inventory and I guess I didn’t get one! Says “Return after 7/31 to try to win deer permit”. That’s what I get for being complacent I guess. My question is, why didn’t I get it, considering there were surplus tags available in Oct?

I applied for antlerless tags in July for zone 11. Thought I would be a lock. Just checked my inventory and I guess I didn’t get one! Says “Return after 7/31 to try to win deer permit”. That’s what I get for being complacent I guess. My question is, why didn’t I get it, considering there were surplus tags available in Oct?
That first application is by lottery and considering Zone 11 I’m surprised you didn’t get it but it’s possible you just pulled the short straw. Depending on a few factors that MF&W decides, the surplus tags for Zone 9,10,11,13, and 14 are first come first serve.

That first application is by lottery and considering Zone 11 I’m surprised you didn’t get it but it’s possible you just pulled the short straw. Depending on a few factors that MF&W decides, the surplus tags for Zone 9,10,11,13, and 14 are first come first serve.
You probably were awarded one. But if you didnt add it to your cart and pay for it within x number of days it expires.

Back
Top Bottom