Survivor of Bear Attack in MT Used 44 mag Revolver to Stop Bear

Where is that video of the guy whose face was hanging off from a bear attack and he was still talking? Unbelievable

I think if I were in grizzly country, that piece would be strapped to my chest, free of all obstruction. I also think I'd be carrying a shotgun in hand at all times, but that's just me being paranoid.
I have seen chest rigs being the preferred carry method by many people on videos about grizzly country. Keep the rifle close by while working, but have a semi on your chest.

What would have happened if he used 9mm?
Bear would have exploded
A .40 would have killed the bear and knocked down a couple of trees.
If it had been a .45ACP, particularly out of a 1911 (which has won two world wars, mind you), the bear would've been caught whole inside the massive hollow point cavity and taken for a ride around the world (at a really low speed).

Just kidding, 1911s can't feed hollow points.

44mag is no joke.
Yep - 44 magnum is legit. And in this case, did the job.
He scored 4 hits and it sounds like the bear died. And most importantly, the first hit caused the bear to let go of his leg and retreat.

If the article was accurate, it was a very small Grizzly. Granted it was early spring and she was nursing. In October she would have weighed nearly double.
Overall the guy was pretty lucky. He fumbled the draw and only shot the gun once before the attack.
Had he been able to draw faster he may not have been bit.

Back
Top Bottom