• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survivorman has a very low opinion of preppers.

clampett

NES Member
I just watched Les Stroud's March 9th video titled "Caronavirus Home Food" He starts off the video telling us about the new PBS series that he is working on.He said the series will show the average person how to prepare for things like hurricanes, tornadoes, Blizzards ect, that might leave you without power, fuel and food for weeks at a time. He then said that this series will not be about prepping and then he starts to trash preppers, saying that we are planning to rob all of the Mormons of their supplies.

Edit, I suck at putting in links.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I saw him he was looking for Bigfoot. Never realized what a 'Dick' he was. 'Mormons have a one to three year supply of food. Preppers have the addresses of all the Mormons. Think about that'.

And with a southern redneck accent makes fun of gun owners protecting their property?

Use 'Insert LInk':
youtube.com/watch?v=ieDP784_pcQ&t=582s

Last edited:
I enjoyed his Survivorman series but this attitude disappoints. Sounds like he’s spent enough time criticizing preppers that he must distinguish himself while jumping onboard, as if he’s the first to also think of others in preparations. News flash, Les: my 1-month family supply is divided to become a 1-week supply for neighbors if needed.

And we know he’s just jealous of our 2A. Canada has a national 5-rd mag limit.

i always thought les was a bad ass, walking the walk, talking the talk. even with my new found fondness for preppers he not going on the boycott list just yet. [angry]

What do I care what a semi famous person thinks of me and my readiness. He like all the other names before ( and after him ) can crawl back under the rock in which they came. I in the end will do what I think is best for my family, cause in the end no one will do sh*t for me, except me.

Last edited:
Was he always Mormon? Man, I hate when people in entertainment or educational circles get preachy with religion or politics. It was a smart move for his Suvivorman producer to make sure none of that was present in his early show, but man, I feel duped now. Particularly because this is not only injecting religion in a place that doesn't call for it, but also spreading crazy conspiracy theories as well.

Was he always Mormon? Man, I hate when people in entertainment or educational circles get preachy with religion or politics. It was a smart move for his Suvivorman producer to make sure none of that was present in his early show, but man, I feel duped now. Particularly because this is not only injecting religion in a place that doesn't call for it, but also spreading crazy conspiracy theories as well.
I don't think he's a Mormon. Considering how much he said that was misinformation about them. I think he used them as an example of being prepared.

Last time I saw him he was looking for Bigfoot. Never realized what a 'Dick' he was. 'Mormons have a one to three year supply of food. Preppers have the addresses of all the Mormons. Think about that'.

And with a southern redneck accent makes fun of gun owners protecting their property?

Use 'Insert LInk':
youtube.com/watch?v=ieDP784_pcQ&t=582s

Huh, I just found the big hole in my preps.
I don't know any Mormons let alone their addresses. ;)

He must be thinking of the subset of humanity that actually doesn't prep but plans to steal from everybody else to survive.

His body language when he talks about sitting on the porch with your shotgun is telling. I have never watched his show and only seen clips here.

Watch his facial expression at the end of this statement.

"hoarding food is great but just remember the rest of us know you are hoarding it"

Cued up:

Oh, the Mormons are all over the place, you might be surprised.

The acquaintance that doesn't drink caffeine, doesn't drink alcohol, and doesn't smoke (at least in public) but loves root beer and ice cream -> Mormon. 😄

LOL I've known some. I just don't currently that I'm aware of. I know they are around. I think there is an LDS church the next town over and they were recruiting at our town summer fair 2 years ago. :)

He's still angry Bear Grylis got the girl.....

But a lot of his shows were good. He seemed to research the locales pretty well, and his approach was a lot more practical than Gryllis. He's just passed his expiration date.

Anyone planning on robbing a Mormon does not know much about Mormons....

Didn't watch the whole thing, but watched about five minutes from where the embedded video started and I did not have any big problem with what he said. He could have been more polite about it, but I take his point of mentioning who the video is geared towards.
And his advice from that point on is what most of us advise when someone wants to start preparing. Start with what you know you eat and add a little bit and then expand from there.

As for helping others, I do it. I have helped some friends and neighbors out since the shutdown started. Nothing that made my life difficult, but I have given out TP to some people who did not have enough on hand. Same with some other goods and if I make a store run I ask if neighbors need anything. Some of them are older and trying to not go to public places.

His condiment comment was spot on. the one shortfall of my planning was that I am using them faster than I thought. Part of that is because we are still shopping and I am not just going off what is the longer term stored food. I am using less of the spices and seasoning, but more condiments.

Didn't watch the whole thing, but watched about five minutes from where the embedded video started and I did not have any big problem with what he said. He could have been more polite about it, but I take his point of mentioning who the video is geared towards.
And his advice from that point on is what most of us advise when someone wants to start preparing. Start with what you know you eat and add a little bit and then expand from there.

As for helping others, I do it. I have helped some friends and neighbors out since the shutdown started. Nothing that made my life difficult, but I have given out TP to some people who did not have enough on hand. Same with some other goods and if I make a store run I ask if neighbors need anything. Some of them are older and trying to not go to public places.

His condiment comment was spot on. the one shortfall of my planning was that I am using them faster than I thought. Part of that is because we are still shopping and I am not just going off what is the longer term stored food. I am using less of the spices and seasoning, but more condiments.
In addition to what SERE posted, check out the 1st 2 minutes of the video, then jump to the 7:00--9:00 mark.

Huh, I just found the big hole in my preps.
I don't know any Mormons let alone their addresses. ;)

He must be thinking of the subset of humanity that actually doesn't prep but plans to steal from everybody else to survive.

I'm surrounded by them!

He think's all Mormons are like Mittens. An attempted home invasion in Utah is a quick copper jacketed ticket to Hell.

This is true. I've yet to meet one here that isn't well prepared to defend their home against intruders. My boss doesn't carry (says he's never felt the need to), but he's a shooter, and is teaching his three kids (12, 9 and 5) how to shoot as well. Unfortunately, he's probably teaching them incorrectly. He mentioned he only had a .45 handgun, so I brought him my VP9 to take to the outdoor range (local canyon) to try out. When he picked it up from the box, the only reaction I could muster about his grip was "oh, boy"

This is true. I've yet to meet one here that isn't well prepared to defend their home against intruders.
We had a friend who was the local Bishop in Boston. He had to conduct a “survival” class for the local congregation, largely Students. He had to borrow everything from me.

But one pro tip he had: pay every transaction you make for a week with $20’s and pocket the change each time. Put that in the safe, because if there’s an extended outage, everyone will have 20’s, have to pay in cash, and won’t have change.

Just because we like someone's TV show doesn't mean that they're our friend.

I love Goodfellas, but couldn't give two f***s what Robert de Niro thinks or says because his opinions are worthless.

I just watched Les Stroud's March 9th video titled "Caronavirus Home Food" He starts off the video telling us about the new PBS series that he is working on.He said the series will show the average person how to prepare for things like hurricanes, tornadoes, Blizzards ect, that might leave you without power, fuel and food for weeks at a time. He then said that this series will not be about prepping and then he starts to trash preppers, saying that we are planning to rob all of the Mormons of their supplies.

Edit, I suck at putting in links.

I feel an oncoming bout of Forest Whitaker eye.

7th Day Adventists are where the real pickings are...ya read me?

Um, what? I was raised SDA, spent the first 25 years of my life SDA. You want a pantry full of Vege-links, saucettes, and fri-chik? I love them, but my family won't be in the same room when I mash them up into a sammich. But very few of them are stocking up on anything that I know of. The good ones are vegetarian, but not vegan, no alcohol or tobacco or caffeine. You want a closet full of fake chocolate for your hot carob drink? I mean, I think it's delicious but if you aren't raised that way it's pretty hard to switch.

Not to be a dick, but if you haven’t planned for a SHTF event then you deserve what you get (or don’t get). I’ve been around long enough to store enough food, booze, guns and ammo to weather the impending storm - hopefully! 🤞

Back
Top Bottom