• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Swaging bullets

Have you tried smelting copper in the pot does that work? Castbootlets has an article about tinning and adding copper under clay. Going to try it when I get setup agian

Have you tried smelting copper in the pot does that work? Castbootlets has an article about tinning and adding copper under clay. Going to try it when I get setup agian
no idea what you mean. But no my smelting set up wont get near the heat to melt copper. Maybe anneal the jackets?

Was doing some research on it. Looks kind of an investment to start. Unless you can use a press other than Corbin?
its not cheap , either tools or materials. Die set i have is about $1200-$1500 new/complete
Then press that goes with these dies is $700ish
then you either buy jackets or tool up to make them. I can cast cores easy enough.

No there is some articles about adding tinned wire to the lead pot to give your lead a copper alloy. Bring up the hardness and not requiring further coating. Some were around 2%. The theory they were saying was but tinning the wire and covering the pot with clay (oil sorb) that it allows the copper to melt at a lower temperature do to the tinning and the clay retained heat and keeps it from separating. Don't under stand metallurgy completely or not even that much

There is a lot of stuff out there about using parent cases as jackets
yes although over 25 acp size seems to require a larger press H press from corbin.

Something to think about. Figure the cheapest 308_bullets I load are .26 each on a good day and thats not the good bullets. figure take about 4000 bullets at full retwil cost to break even?

Has anyone one used Bt snipers dies for converting cases to jackets. He makes some interesting stuff
If I jump into this Im going to buy some jackets, I rather have nice uniform copper jackets. I would at least like to make some nice bullets.

Back
Top Bottom