• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tactical Brass Recovery Brass Catcher - Anyone use one?

Looking for a better solution than the Caldwell mesh brass catcher that wraps around the hand guard on my AR.

Came across the Tactical Brass Recovery catcher and it looks pretty interesting. Attaches to the side rail on the hand guard.. Its pricy, but it looks like it would work well.

Has anyone used on of these? If so, what do you think?

http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/Default.asp

"Tactical" and "Operator"... two very overused words used on everything black rifle related... But what about the brass recovery part? Someone must have one of these...

3BUCC.

[\thread]

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

As a true tactical internet warrior, I can assure you that I would never use one of those. It is neither high speed NOR low drag, and a real operator never saves brass. Reloading is too complicated!

Plus, how can you go home with 50 or more brass than you started with without picking them off the ground.

I have two for ARs. One is top pic rail mount and the other is side mounted. When they are mounted correctly, they work well. I do find myself fiddling with them a fair amount when brass rebounds and gets jammed in the ejection port or I get mysterious failure to return to battery which I just don't have any problem with when the catcher is not mounted. But probably b/c I am too lazy to take the time to get them fitted correctly. There is something liberating though about just letting the brass go where it wants and picking it up later.

I would like to but I think it is too "tactical". That must be why it costs so much money.

3bucc makes the best AR brass catcher imo. Holds 3 normal mags worth of cases without a hiccup. Or leave the velcro bottom open over an empty bucket and never have to empty it.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Once upon a time I had a nice hard plastic one I made for my 995. It worked like a dream until my wife knocked the rifle off the bench at the range and shattered it. It was modeled after the one in the pic below. Except the one I made was clear and the panel closest to the shooter popped out so it could be emptied without removing it.

101.jpg

3BUCC.

[\thread]

This. And while you're at it, buy directly from the manufacturer and order a couple more rail mounts for other gunz. You know you have other gunz.

TBBLONG-2T.jpg

'Nuff said.

Who got the kids in the divorce?

[laugh2] Awesome reply![rofl]

I've often thought about getting one of these, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I would only really find it necessary for run and gun type drills, because my middy is super predictable when just standing in one spot. I always have a nice neat pile to pick up when I'm done.[smile]

I've been thinking of getting one for occasional use as well. For instance, digging brass that's melted into a snow pile sucks. Trying to chip brass out of ice sucks even worse.

A while back there was a group buy for a brass recovery that secured via the top rail. It works, but could be improved drastically. The main issue was that there was no mesh or anything on the top, so if your shooting rapidly, your eating smoke. I used it in the winter cause I hated digging brass out of snow and the old timers would run around scrooging up my brass, so I got it to annoy them.

It's the 3Bucc and it looks like they haven't improved it, which is disconcerning cause it could be such a better design: http://www.3bucc.com/

We used these on our ARs during our FOF excercises inside the protected areas at a Nuclear Power Plant.We were using MILES gear obvioulsy(cant use live ammo) to keep casings from going into impotent shit, they arent that great and caused a few malfunctions especially when moving. Basically if your sitting still shooting straight ahead they work ok.

Back
Top Bottom