"Tactical" shooting ranges in MA?

Does anyone know of a range that I can draw from a holster/battle belt or where I can wear kit/plate carriers and not get weird looks. Does this even exist in MA? Preferably south shore.

Thanks

Does anyone know of a range that I can draw from a holster/battle belt or where I can wear kit/plate carriers and not get weird looks. Does this even exist in MA? Preferably south shore.

Thanks

You might look for a range near a military post.

For example, (and sorry, it's not Massachusetts), we have two posts in the area, Fort Stewart and Fort Hunter. We get a lot of shooters at our local range from them. For IDPA/USPSA matches they run their duty gear, (per rules for tier 1). We get a fair number of guys who run full gear in non-match shooting; some of them are active, some are retired, some appear to be larpers. We had a night match to "ring in the new year" - guys were wearing NODS. Poors like me just used weapon mounted lights.

Thanks

In addition to shooting matches at Townsend, I'd suggest taking classes or shooting matches elsewhere and regularly instead of trying to rely on a club. Join a local club, but focus on actual learning elsewhere that focuses on the activities you're interested in. You'll learn more at a class or match than wearing a plate carrier at a square rifle range or in a shooting bay, unless you're doing some very innovative drills that are ahead of what's being offered at classes and matches.

"South Shore" is a pretty big area, but if you're closer to RI, there's a strong multigun community in RI where you could shoot matches regularly.

We do a good amount of IDPA and USPCA at Marshfield rod and gun and Old Colony does as well. Great way to get some practice drawing from a holster/duty belt with movement. Can't promise you wont get looks with a plate carrier though...

We do a good amount of IDPA and USPCA at Marshfield rod and gun and Old Colony does as well. Great way to get some practice drawing from a holster/duty belt with movement. Can't promise you wont get looks with a plate carrier though...
Especially at Old Colony. Outside of IDPA matches, do they even allow members to draw from a holster or shoot on the move etc?
At IDPA matches, they have a SO inspecting each persons gun and watches them holster the gun at the safe table. Only club I'm aware of that does this and I shoot USPSA/IDPA matches at many other clubs throughout MA, NH, and ME.

Especially at Old Colony. Outside of IDPA matches, do they even allow members to draw from a holster or shoot on the move etc?
At IDPA matches, they have a SO inspecting each persons gun and watches them holster the gun at the safe table. Only club I'm aware of that does this and I shoot USPSA/IDPA matches at many other clubs throughout MA, NH, and ME.

[rofl]

I shoot in CT, RI, MA (occasionally), GA, SC and FL and I've NEVER heard/seen such a thing.

The only rationale I could see for someone inspecting my firearm is to make sure it's division compliant - or - if there had been an incident with it.

The rules are pretty clear regarding hot/cold range, and at almost every match I've been to there's a shooter's brief at the beginning which typically includes reminders that it's a cold range, guns are to be handled only at the safe table or under the direction of an SO/RO and that handling ammo at the safe table is a really dumb way to get dq'd.

I haven't shot at Old Colony.

They do not

In addition to shooting matches at Townsend, I'd suggest taking classes or shooting matches elsewhere and regularly instead of trying to rely on a club. Join a local club, but focus on actual learning elsewhere that focuses on the activities you're interested in. You'll learn more at a class or match than wearing a plate carrier at a square rifle range or in a shooting bay, unless you're doing some very innovative drills that are ahead of what's being offered at classes and matches.

"South Shore" is a pretty big area, but if you're closer to RI, there's a strong multigun community in RI where you could shoot matches regularly.
I am right on the border in Attleboro. Hoping to take some classes this year but would like to at least get some reps in and get comfortable with my gear outside of my mom's basement. Wallum Lake has a steel target pit, does anyone have experience with it?

I am right on the border in Attleboro. Hoping to take some classes this year but would like to at least get some reps in and get comfortable with my gear outside of my mom's basement. Wallum Lake has a steel target pit, does anyone have experience with it?
If you pick the right instructor, you’re better off starting as a clean slate.

I used to be a member of Wallum Lake around 2013, 2014. The steel pits when I was a member were handgun-only. You would want to talk to Tim Burdick at Wallum Lake, who is I believe still the chairman of the committee in charge of the pits.

Wallum's rifle range is not a place where I would wear full tactical kit, however, because the rifle range gets extremely crowded and often has a lot of instruction and newbs. There's simply not the opportunity to do anything beyond shoot from the firing line.

Wallum Lake, Tri-Town, Pine Tree, and Bradford all host multigun matches. I've shot matches at the last three clubs, though I am familiar with Wallum as well. Feel free to PM me if you want some help making connections to ask questions.

[rofl]

I shoot in CT, RI, MA (occasionally), GA, SC and FL and I've NEVER heard/seen such a thing.

The only rationale I could see for someone inspecting my firearm is to make sure it's division compliant - or - if there had been an incident with it.

The rules are pretty clear regarding hot/cold range, and at almost every match I've been to there's a shooter's brief at the beginning which typically includes reminders that it's a cold range, guns are to be handled only at the safe table or under the direction of an SO/RO and that handling ammo at the safe table is a really dumb way to get dq'd.

I haven't shot at Old Colony.
Yeah they put on a good match but they seem very FUDDY.

Yeah they put on a good match but they seem very FUDDY.
Old colony is extremely fuddy. Had a guy break my balls for not having a flag in the chamber of my bolt gun sitting on the gun rack.....the bolt was removed.

That being said most of the clubs I've been to with a firing line don't allow live fire drawing from a holster unless IDPA, am I missing out? I've been to plenty that are basically just a clay pit where there's no one around to bother you but that's a little different

Hopkinton Sportsman association. Only about 25 minutes drive from Attleboro. Monthly USPSA matches and weekly practice if that is something you are interested in. You can draw from holster in any of the 6 pistol bays. Bays 5and 6 are 25 yards and rifles may be used there. As far as larping in kit, nobody will care as long as you are doing everything in a safe manner. Bonus, there is even a vtac barricade that you can drag over to a bay for additional larping experience points.

Safe table nazi. Told me to put my coffee down and gear up one day.
I stopped shooting there 4-5 years ago.

Monument Beach in Bourne has open pits. Also host IDPA and multigun matches. One pit is 100 yards, a couple vtac barricades, plate rack in one pit.
Typical membership hurdles, sponsor, work hours etc.
No full auto allowed.

Sagamore Rifle is basically a 100 yard pit. Organized matches on weekends, mostly fuddish, much older membership demographic.
Sponsor required.
Pretty open range rules.
Full auto allowed.

Hopkinton Sportsman association. Only about 25 minutes drive from Attleboro. Monthly USPSA matches and weekly practice if that is something you are interested in. You can draw from holster in any of the 6 pistol bays. Bays 5and 6 are 25 yards and rifles may be used there. As far as larping in kit, nobody will care as long as you are doing everything in a safe manner. Bonus, there is even a vtac barricade that you can drag over to a bay for additional larping experience points.
Sounds pretty much what I am looking for. Are you a member there?

Back
Top Bottom