• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taking the CW plunge

ochmude

Marine Veteran
I've been wanting to learn code ever since I was young and had some toy walkie talkies with the little beep button on them. Yesterday I decided there's no better time than the present, so I found a free course put together by K7QO and started working with it yesterday evening. So far I'm somewhat comfortable copying A through D, and it seems like I might actually begin to get a handle on CW after a few weeks of practice. I like the K7QO course because it focuses on just simply associating the sounds with the letters automatically, rather than actually counting dits and dahs and then translating them. My goal is to get in 20 or 30 minutes a night and try and retain what I can. Any recommendations or advice from the more experienced hams around here?

I started off learning by memory. I remember my elmer and I sitting there the first night and he had me writing down the dots and dashes and decoding after the fact. That got me to unconciously learn what the letters sounded like. After a week or so, he had me copying 2-3 WPM in my head and writing down the letters. We stayed at this painfully low speed for a long time until I could copy it 100% Then I started copying the W1AW CW practice bulletins back then they had 5, 10 and 15 WPM practices. By this time I was copying CW completely by sound. Once you get to this stage, getting on the air and getting into CW QSO's got my speed up for the national traffic system. I began checking into the CW nets and taking traffic. 20 WPM was no problem at this point. Then I ran into WA1TBY an old navy CW op. This guy was amazing, he could decode and type out 60 WPM with 100% copy. We had a regular sked on CW where he would intentionally push up the speed to where I would only get about 50% of it. By the time we were done, he had me up to 45 WPM.

Do yourself a favor, don't do what I did! I originally tried to learn the code the old-school method of starting very slowly and learning the dots and dashes, or as hams like to say "dits" and "dahs". Most people do this if they don't get some help.

I never got over the step of going from dits/dahs to letters... I always have hear the sounds.... ". -", then say to myself "dit dah", and then translate that to the letter "A". It's a long bad process that I still have to go through to this day.

If you can, just listen Morse code using the Farnsworth method... the letters themselves should be sent faster (like 13 to 15 wpm speed) with a longer space between each letter. Then listen to the code (actually more like listening to the pattern of each sound), and then say the letter to yourself. The idea is to make the individual letters go to fast to try to copy the individual elements (dots/dashes) to count.

If you can skip the intermediate step of hearing the individual dots and dashes, you'll save yourself a lot of agony. It's almost like when you began reading, you would read a word C A T.... CAT! Instead of just reading the letter groups together as a word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code

At one time (way back when) when I was trying to get my speed up to pass the 20 WPM Extra exam (back in the dark ages), I *almost* got to the point where I would hear words instead of individual letters, or dots and dashes. But then I passed my exam and stopped doing so much CW (Morse Code) operations. I can remember the first few times this happend, I could hear the words "name", "the", and a few others. It was one of those 'ah-ha!' moments.

By the way, in case you are wondering "CW" stands for Continuous Wave (no modulation). More appropriately maybe should be called ICW for Interrupted Continuous Wave (my interpretation). So most hams refer to Morse code as CW.

Operating Morse code (CW) is a lot of fun when you can enjoy it. To me it's sort of like comparing photography with an oil painting. One is an art form and other is not. I'm not saying that Morse code is an art, but it is similar to learning another language.

http://www.codepractice.com/learning.html

http://www.ac6v.com/morseaids.htm

http://www.morseresource.com/podcasts.php

Here's an online Morse generator:

http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html

To see what I mean about the Farnsworth method, type in the text "This is a test" into the input text box of the Morse generator.

Then set the speed to 5 WPM and press PLAY, this is NOT the Farnsworth method and is a BAD way to learn code (IMHO).

To hear 5 wpm at a Farnsworth method, set the speed to 18 wpm and then set the Farnsworth speed to 5 WPM and press PLAY.

Others say to combine the Farnsworth method with the Koch method. The Koch method was after my time, so I never used it myself.

www.lcwo.net

Last edited:
I started working the lessons on lcwo.net using the Koch Method. It's pretty much the same thing...they play a letter over and over again until it's familure. Then they play a sequence of code using the letters that you listened to... You copy them and input them into a box, it tells you your copy and if you're above 90% or so, they move to you the next lesson and add a letter. It's all done by sound...and they group letters that are close so you get used to the same types of patters for the letters.

R1ch, thanks for that list, that's awesome!

I started working the lessons on lcwo.net using the Koch Method. It's pretty much the same thing...they play a letter over and over again until it's familure. Then they play a sequence of code using the letters that you listened to... You copy them and input them into a box, it tells you your copy and if you're above 90% or so, they move to you the next lesson and add a letter. It's all done by sound...and they group letters that are close so you get used to the same types of patters for the letters.

I looked at lcwo.net briefly yesterday. I'll have to check it out some more this weekend.

Thanks for mentioning lcwo.net, I'll add it to the list above!

There's an iphone app that is similar to lcwo.net that I've been using during my commute (not writing down the code, but just reciting the letters as I hear them.

Here it is: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ham-morse/id315980140?mt=8

Not as good as lcwo.net (which is really excellent I think), but it uses the same kind of method. It's really a modified "Koch" method.

When you get good, you can listen to RSS feeds in morse through it for practice!

Matt

And when you do finally pick it up, this is what you can look forward to! :)

IMG_0664.jpg

OP good job!!! I'm from the camp that thinks that all hams should be required to know code but that argument has been done to death.

Hey RUTT I have that very same key!! I love it. The guy hand builds each one in his small shop. I've had mine for years now and can't remember the guys name or what I paid? Do you remember his web site?

Well I'm definitely making progress. Last night while working security I was learning some new letters then I did a test. I had an earphone in one ear and was listening to the Springfield PD scanner with my other ear. I did a 2 minute test on letters A - F in random 5-letter groups while simultaneously listening to a chase that turned into a foot pursuit, and I somehow managed 99% accurate copy. CW is turning out to be so much fun that just studying to learn it is pretty entertaining.

Here's one tip that I used when I learned. Pretty simple -- but just translate everything you see in print into code. Sound it out verbally. It's a great way to pass your commute time. Make a game of it -- when you see a sign on the highway -- try to complete "Sending" it in code before your car passes it. I still do stuff like that to this day.

Radioman,

That would be Jerry Pittenger, K8RA. This one is the P4, and I paid $175.00 for it. Considering the workmanship involved and the fact that it weighs in at 5 lbs., it was a bargain! Since I have a heavy "fist", I tend to need the extra weight. :)

K1HS

http://www.k8ra.com/

Last edited:
Key prices have gotten downright obscene during my absence from ham radio. There's no justification for it, but that's how it is. That being said, I'd recommend getting a quality key as your first.

Google J-38 , and USN Flameproof. Both are quality strait keys that will serve you well, and if you decide CW isn't your thing, you can turn them around with little or no loss in investment. Many people, me included, started on cheap Radio Shack plastic keys, but I'd advise against it. I've been using the same USN Flameproof that I got for a gift in 1976. My father paid I think $4 for it, and they go for upwards of $60-$100 now. You've been in Ham Radio for a little while now, so you've got a good feeling for the big range of prices on used gear and know how to hunt for deals, so go at it!

Well I'm definitely making progress. Last night while working security I was learning some new letters then I did a test. I had an earphone in one ear and was listening to the Springfield PD scanner with my other ear. I did a 2 minute test on letters A - F in random 5-letter groups while simultaneously listening to a chase that turned into a foot pursuit, and I somehow managed 99% accurate copy. CW is turning out to be so much fun that just studying to learn it is pretty entertaining.

I love CW. I don't really use it anymore, though.

Earlier in this thread I recommended an iPhone app. It's pretty good, but "Dah Dit" is much better I think: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=310462519&mt=8 and it's only $2. It only lacks the ability to include Farnsworth spacing. It adds single characters at a time which is great compared to the other one.

I will probably switch back to the other one when I'm more proficient and listen to RSS feeds through it to get better at receiving.

Here's one tip that I used when I learned. Pretty simple -- but just translate everything you see in print into code. Sound it out verbally. It's a great way to pass your commute time. Make a game of it -- when you see a sign on the highway -- try to complete "Sending" it in code before your car passes it. I still do stuff like that to this day.

This is really helpful and passes time in the commute! I just skip over the letters I haven't learned yet. I've been doing this all over.

Key prices have gotten downright obscene during my absence from ham radio. There's no justification for it, but that's how it is. That being said, I'd recommend getting a quality key as your first.

Google J-38 , and USN Flameproof. Both are quality strait keys that will serve you well, and if you decide CW isn't your thing, you can turn them around with little or no loss in investment. Many peopl, me included, started on cheap Radio Shack plastic keys, but I'd advise against it. I've been using the same USN Flameproof that I got for a gift in 1976. My father paid I think $4 for it, and they go for upwards of $60-$100 now. You've been in Ham Radio for a little while now, so you've got a good feeling for the big range of prices on used gear and know how to hunt for deals, so go at it!

Well, I ended up getting a Chinese military key that gets really good reviews on eHam. (http://cgi.ebay.com/K-4-Chinese-Mil...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ea2caac) I didn't pay enough attention before purchasing that it actually ships from Hong Kong! Oh well... When I was looking there were only 2 Navy keys available and they are at $100 already...

The main method I used to learn code was three-fold. First was to stare at the dit-dah list and memorize the patterns, and second, to LISTEN. I had a small RS short-wave receiver, and I would spend hours just listening to the CW I came across.

If the speed was too fast for me to make out 50% or more of the characters, I searched for a slower coder.

The final step was to practice sending with a practice toner with a paddle key. Those three steps helped me get quite good at sending, but receiving just as well, since receiving is always harder than sending.

In fact, even though I no longer ham, I still remember the patterns.

.-
-.-.
..-.
.---
-.-
.-..
--
---
.--.
-.--
.-.
-
..-
...-
.--
-..-
-.--

.----
..---
...--
....-
-----

I think that is correct. I forget the puncuation marks though, heh

P.S. Nope, I have the G and K messed up. Edited. Did I get them right?

Last edited:
Got 'em all except for K -- you have D down a second time. [wink]

Yeah, that brought back memories. When I learned the code, there was a book out published by Radio Shack, called "From 5 watts to 1000 watts", and that was basically my starting point for getting my ticket. IIRC, that book advocated learning the code in blocks of about 5 characters, and the method was to memorize the written representation of the characters, and then sound them out.

Want to talk about a wacky method in learning code in blocks?

I'm sure that everyone can remember certain letters with different levels of success when they start out.

For me, the easiest were C and Q, S and O (<---CQ and SOS are probably the most common combos everyone knows), and letters like E, I, H, T because the patterns are simple.

The block I had the hardest time with was U, V, W. How did I get through it? LOL, it was so weird.

With V being ...- , I would force myself to know it was V because it is the first 4 notes to Beethoven's 5th symphony, and his middle name was Von. So when I heard ...- , I thought of Von Beethoven. Dih dih dih daaahhh!

Once I got the V down, I could work out the U and W. Silly, eh? :)

I find I'm having a hard time with recall unless I sound out what I just heard...

So I hear ._ _ _ and have to say di da da dah then I recall "J"

Need to break that pattern. Works fine for hearing single letters, but I end up behind the stream of characters pretty quick when hearing words.

I find I'm having a hard time with recall unless I sound out what I just heard...

So I hear ._ _ _ and have to say di da da dah then I recall "J"

Need to break that pattern. Works fine for hearing single letters, but I end up behind the stream of characters pretty quick when hearing words.

Yes this is a bad habit to get into. I wish I never got into this habit. If you can avoid it you're smart! If anyone has a method to keep this from being learned behaviour, please let everyone know!

Yes this is a bad habit to get into. I wish I never got into this habit. If you can avoid it you're smart! If anyone has a method to keep this from being learned behaviour, please let everyone know!

I'm early enough in my learning that I think there is hope for me. I'm forcing myself not to do it while listening to individual letters on my iPod app I'm using. That impedes my remembering letters for sending a bit, but I think it will be worth my while to remain disciplined about it while learning. That way the look up tables in my brain will go straight from sound to letter and letter to hand motion with no intermediate translation.

I'm specifically focusing on never developing this habit. Like I mentioned in the OP, I'm using the K7QO course right now. The procedure I use is to force myself to never think about the sound. I just hear some beeps and as a rule I immediately write down a letter. If I didn't quite here or I'm not sure what the dits and dahs were, I still immediately write down a letter, any letter, whatever pops into my head first. I'm finding that when I do this and just write the first thing that comes to mind, almost without even really listening to the dits and dahs, I write the correct letter about 95% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom