Desert Eagle Megathread…

I typically clean after about 100 rounds. What will gets real dirty and crudded up is the small gas piston and the gas piston bore. When you buy a new DE you get a special piston bore cleaning tool, not sure if you got one ?

View attachment 458823

If not you might be able to get one from Kahr. Not sure if I shared my link but I did extensive testing of DE cycling and ammo. It's an informative read that puts to bed some of the false myths with shooting DE's . It's in the reloading section over at the Slaptalk DE forum. That forum structure SUCKS with too many ads and I don't post there much. If you want to get together and have a "DE Day" we can shoot at my gun club (Pelham F&G) . Would be my pleasure to have you as a guest.
Yup it came with the tool luckily. And holy crap the piston and piston bore do get nasty. I think I’ll make sure to clean it after every range trip. I like how it disassembles and how easy it is to clean for the most part because it’s so massive😂

Definitely would join you at Pelham at some point!

Have you run into mags not locking the slide open? It seems like if I slam an empty mag into the frame, it won’t lock it open. But if I gently insert it (giggity) it seems to lock open the slide for the most part. It’s got to be the followers. That little tab on the follower is so freaking small.

It will be interesting to see how long the brass holds up. This monster is not easy on the brass😂

Have you tried any plated bullets in your DE?

Yup it came with the tool luckily. And holy crap the piston and piston bore do get nasty. I think I’ll make sure to clean it after every range trip. I like how it disassembles and how easy it is to clean for the most part because it’s so massive😂

Have you run into mags not locking the slide open? It seems like if I slam an empty mag into the frame, it won’t lock it open. But if I gently insert it (giggity) it seems to lock open the slide for the most part. It’s got to be the followers. That little tab on the follower is so freaking small.

Not sure if this happens to you but I have one 44 mag that if I slam it into the mag well it unlocks the slide and the first round is fed into the chamber. Only one mag does this and only in 44. Funny thing is that it’s not the same 44 mag that causes going into battery issues. All mags have new springs so it’s something else.

Haven’t run into that...yet.

I know one thing. I hate the finger grooves on these Hogue grips. I just ordered a set of the Hogue without the finger grooves. It forces me to wedge my middle finger between the trigger guard and the groove. Not comfortable at all.

I have not had any issues with my mags "not" locking open. I did however have issues with my slide locking open after each shot. This IMO was a result of running "hot" ammo that produced velocities over 1300 fps. American Eagle 240 gr fmj was ammo I had a lot of issues with slide lock issues. Here's a link to all the testing I did . I contradict to what a lot of people claim with DE's but it's my data using a chronograph and bottom line is when I load a 240gr bullet at about a max of 1235 fps my DE cycles perfect.

Haven’t run into that...yet.

I know one thing. I hate the finger grooves on these Hogue grips. I just ordered a set of the Hogue without the finger grooves. It forces me to wedge my middle finger between the trigger guard and the groove. Not comfortable at all.

I have thin fingers and the Hogue finger grooved grip fits my hand perfect. However I can see how "not thin" fingers can become cramped especially the recess directly below the trigger guard.

I have thin fingers and the Hogue finger grooved grip fits my hand perfect. However I can see how "not thin" fingers can become cramped especially the recess directly below the trigger guard.
It’s the middle knuckle of my middle finger that really gets pinched and banged up during recoil.
If the grooves were just a hair wider I’d be fine. They do provide good control of the gun. Hopefully the smooth grips will work okay. Tempting to put grip tape on the front strap but that might look like shit.

It’s the middle knuckle of my middle finger that really gets pinched and banged up during recoil.
If the grooves were just a hair wider I’d be fine. They do provide good control of the gun. Hopefully the smooth grips will work okay. Tempting to put grip tape on the front strap but that might look like shit.
If you need the OEM smooth grip I have my original, and i'll sell it to you for cheap as a favor.

New grips are much more comfortable. Don’t know if I can bring myself to put a strip of grip tape on the front strap....
Would certainly help control the gun but might look ghetto😂

Also spoke to Magnum Research and ordered some new mag followers and springs. Based on the serial number they said it was made in 2007. Great group of guys at MR.
656FA7C8-7C93-477D-98C5-FFCAE7B4E524.jpeg
AA90DF63-74D8-429B-A3B7-FED0192189FE.jpeg

New grips are much more comfortable. Don’t know if I can bring myself to put a strip of grip tape on the front strap....

Also spoke to Magnum Research and ordered some new mag followers and springs. Based on the serial number they said it was made in 2007. Great group of guys at MR.
View attachment 460069
View attachment 460074
100%, the guys at MR are rockstars in my book. I started a thread awhile ago that sometimes Kahr’s website won’t have what you need and you need to call MR directly. But the guys at MR are so cool and composed its not even an inconvenience. They even tacked on free shipping for the items not on my Kahr website order.

I may pick your brain for solutions for my own 44 mag woes should they continue on the range this Friday, but will do so in our PM to avoid being obnoxious lol.

100%, the guys at MR are rockstars in my book. I started a thread awhile ago that sometimes Kahr’s website won’t have what you need and you need to call MR directly. But the guys at MR are so cool and composed its not even an inconvenience. They even tacked on free shipping for the items not on my Kahr website order.

I may pick your brain for solutions for my own 44 mag woes should they continue on the range this Friday, but will do so in our PM to avoid being obnoxious lol.
Definitely rockstars. $60 shipped for 3 mag followers and 2 mag springs.

And ya keep me posted how you make out on Friday.

View attachment 460069
View attachment 460074
Maybe you can get someone to checker the front strap? I wonder if @Greg Derr is above turning it into a one of a kind? Then you can really cry when you break it.

Nice buy! They're great range toys for sure, definitely gets alot of looks.
My father picked up an IMI mark I a few months ago. Bought a box of ppu 230gr with it at the shop doing the transfer and chewed through it flawlessly at the range thankfully. Just wish we had gotten more at the time, as he hasn't shot it since. having a hard time finding any 44mag now.

Attachments

• 20200827_181858.jpg
    20200827_181858.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 9
Nice buy! They're great range toys for sure, definitely gets alot of looks.
My father picked up an IMI mark I a few months ago. Bought a box of ppu 230gr with it at the shop doing the transfer and chewed through it flawlessly at the range thankfully. Just wish we had gotten more at the time, as he hasn't shot it since. having a hard time finding any 44mag now.
Noice! Looks like it’s in great shape.
Yeah it’s tough getting 44 mag especially if you don’t reload.

Noice! Looks like it’s in great shape.
Yeah it’s tough getting 44 mag especially if you don’t reload.
It is, especially for its age, didn't seem to have had much use, was a little dirty internally but nothing bad at all just some carbon deposits and crud in the nooks and crannies. Came with two original mags too so that was a plus.
Yup thats the problem, don't reload but saving whatever brass I can currently and hopefully will have a nice setup someday. Just don't have the time/space/know how to start now.

Brought the Deagle to the range today after a few months of range rust, this is at around 10 yards, 6 mags. Still having failure to extract issues and some failure to feed issues but I was able to run nearly a full magazine without any problems. Part of the problem was my form but I still would definitely like to send you a PM about the changes you made that worked for you, because changing the magazine springs and followers didn’t completely solve the problem.

336BDE86-F2A1-4784-B105-9D720A0AA8C6.jpeg

ETA: The Desert Eagle ran better than expected, and pretty much outperformed my new Ruger LCP II which was having feeding issues and light primer strike problems so that was kind of astonishing.

Brought the Deagle to the range today after a few months of range rust, this is at around 10 yards, 6 mags. Still having failure to extract issues and some failure to feed issues but I was able to run nearly a full magazine without any problems. Part of the problem was my form but I still would definitely like to send you a PM about the changes you made that worked for you, because changing the magazine springs and followers didn’t completely solve the problem.

View attachment 460856

ETA: The Desert Eagle ran better than expected, and pretty much outperformed my new Ruger LCP II which was having feeding issues and light primer strike problems so that was kind of astonishing.
Have you changed out the extractor spring? I should have taken a photo of mine - it was a black sludge 😂. The polymer spring was gone.
Pull on the extractor and see if there’s any tension.

Hahaha....some day. That recoil was intense. I’m used to shooting TONS of 44 mag but 50AE was next level for sure😂

Awesome day on the range. Thanks for letting me shoot the 50.
View attachment 461357
Stop playing with the toys and move on up to a 500 S&W! [smile]

BTW, that's quite a fireball in the daylight...must be blinding at night.

Back
Top Bottom