Tap Rack Ready / Shooter Flinch / Mag reload

jkelly

At no point did I say an emergency reload and a shot(s). All that I said was an emergency reload. In the real world, there may or may not be a need for a shot after the reload. We teach people to reload and assess the need to shoot, whereas in games you reload and shoot
The timing was done informally with the sweep second hand of my watch, starting from when they recognized the need for a reload and ended when the reload was complete.

If the students want to identify themselves, they can. I will not .

jkelly

At no point did I say an emergency reload and a shot(s). All that I said was an emergency reload. In the real world, there may or may not be a need for a shot after the reload. We teach people to reload and assess the need to shoot, whereas in games you reload and shoot
The timing was done informally with the sweep second hand of my watch, starting from when they recognized the need for a reload and ended when the reload was complete.

If the students want to identify themselves, they can. I will not.

Jim,
I've asked you what your students did during their nearly one second reloads so I could understand your statement. I never said you included shots in your definition, in fact I was trying to determine what your definition was. I gave you insight into what a reload in USPSA/IDPA generally means so you could see why your claim was called BS by a USPSA shooter.

The shot to shot method, utilizing a timer, is much more precise then guessing with a watch. The reload definition used in the “games” usually incorporates an accuracy component as part of that measurement. And yes in the “games” you generally assess the situation during the reload and know you need to shoot again. I would guess that a fast USPSA/IDPA reloader would be a fast reloader in "real life" too.

As I said in my first post, this is just apples and oranges, and turns a very, very fast sounding almost one second reload into just another reload.

I asked who your student was because I know many/most IDPA shooters in New England to one extent or another. Hell I might have been the SO who complimented his reload.

Respectfully,
jkelly

jkelly
We were not trying to get the students to any specific time, just faster.
Some of hem were way over 5 seconds when they started and we pushed for much faster. You and I both know that fast only comes, when they do not have to think about it and get smooth. Our solution was do have them do it a lot and to keep the pressure on them.

Other than a brief demonstration, we do not put any emphasis on tactical reloads, since they are more likely to run the gun dry than to be in a "lull in the action" (Whatever that is) What we do tell them is that three conditions must exist before even considering a tactical reload. These conditions are:
You are behind cover,
You have the necessary time, and
You need the ammo in the partial magazine.

We tell them that if they do not meet ALL three of the above conditions, to simply do a speed reload. WE also teach that they do not simply drop the spent mag, but to throw it to the side and out of their way. Southnarc mentions a speed reload that he did while standing on a linoleum floor. You guessed it, he stepped on the mag and fell on his butt.

A UPPSA/IDPA shooter could be as fast as when shooting a match, but maybe not, depending on how the shooter handled the chemical dump into his body and all of the associated life or death stress. If the shooter was confident of his training, he should do fairly well.

I have no problem with anything that you said or asked. I am sorry if I was not as clear as I could have been.

A UPPSA/IDPA shooter could be as fast as when shooting a match, but maybe not, depending on how the shooter handled the chemical dump into his body and all of the associated life or death stress. If the shooter was confident of his training, he should do fairly well.

No one faces the stresses associated with a life or death situation in competition or classes. neither are going to know how they react.

No one faces the stresses associated with a life or death situation in competition or classes. neither are going to know how they react.

Exactly. Lets not confuse training with reality. Unless you have BTDT then you really cant speak to it, or the effectiveness of the training for that specific event. Otherwise your just presenting false realities and book commando thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom