• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target shooting - a pastime as old as the Pilgrims

A little late I know, but I have been reading my kids the book, “What was the first Thanksgiving” by Joan Holub. Included in that book is a letter from Edward Winslow, one of the Pilgrims present at the first Thanksgiving. In that letter he states, “At which time amongst other recreation, we exercised our arms…”. The author speculated that may be what brought the native Americans to that celebration - they came to see what all the shooting was about.

I always thought the Pilgrims pretty stuck up people so it’s cool to think about them target shooting for fun. I don’t have the best property to shoot on, but from now on I’m going to take at least a couple shots on Thanksgiving to help keep that tradition alive!

I’m not quite sure why, but this thanksgiving we lit off a bunch of fireworks we had left over from the 4th. Like the big mortar shells. No particular reason, but the kids LOVED it!!

We do thanksgiving every other year at our house, and I think it’s going to be a new tradition!

I suspect I MAY have been partly for the enjoyment of shooting, ,however they probably did it to maintain proficiency.

Just a guess. Either way, a fine tradition to carry on.
Definitely. But they specifically said recreation so I don’t think they were taking it as seriously as Sunday service or field work.

I suspect I MAY have been partly for the enjoyment of shooting, ,however they probably did it to maintain proficiency.

Just a guess. Either way, a fine tradition to carry on.
That, and the black powder of the day had a tendency to absorb moisture (hygroscopicity).

Black powder firearms left loaded for extended period of time risk the possibility of erratic behavior of the propellant or a total failure to ignite.

Oftentimes we see muskets (and powder horns) displayed above the mantle of a fireplace.

Not only is this a convenient place, but it also offers a low humidity environment to protect the firearm and powder.

That, and the black powder of the day had a tendency to absorb moisture (hygroscopicity).

Black powder firearms left loaded for extended period of time risk the possibility of erratic behavior of the propellant or a total failure to ignite.

Oftentimes we see muskets (and powder horns) displayed above the mantle of a fireplace.

Not only is this a convenient place, but it also offers a low humidity environment to protect the firearm and powder.
You just seem like the type of fella to have a firearm hanging across your mantle!

Another anecdote related to this is from Wild Bill Hickok.

He made a practice of going out and shooting his revolvers every day.

Hickok would then clean them thoroughly, reload with fresh powder and ball, and press new percussion caps into place after ensuring the flash holes were clear.

He was then ready for what the day (or night) might bring.

This ritual not only afforded him daily practice, it kept his guns in tip-top condition.

Bullseye shooting is not that popular among the younger generations these days. I shoot Bullseye pistol and small bore rifle and with very few exceptions it is rare to see anyone under 50 on the teams with most of us over 60. I love all the action shooting and have participated heavily but there is something therapeutic about punching holes in paper.

Back
Top Bottom