• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Do many people reload steel case?

Not a pro reloader, but pretty sure you cant resize steel or aluminum cases, only brass.

When I said sucks to reload, I meant the berdan primed cases, because you can't reload them.

Reading back what I wrote, it sounds like saying it sucks just means it harder to reload, but can be done.

Way past my bedtime lol

Not a pro reloader, but pretty sure you cant resize steel or aluminum cases, only brass.
It can be done, I think that the issue is steel and aluminum dont hold up well to being worked over by repeated firings, resizing, expanding, etc. Theres someone on here who had reloaded aluminum 9mm(?) cases a bunch of times.

It can be done, I think that the issue is steel and aluminum dont hold up well to being worked over by repeated firings, resizing, expanding, etc. Theres someone on here who had reloaded aluminum 9mm(?) cases a bunch of times.

Didn't know that.. I know a few reloaders and they don't mess with steel.

I just reload 308 precision, so that's where my knowledge starts and stops.

Not many people do. Ive havent personally, but it can be done. Forget who the person was but they were reloading the same handful of AL cases over and over just to see what happens.

I tried it in 45 ACP just to see what happened. It went bang.

If I remember correctly, the level of resistance through the carbide dies was higher so I lubed the steel cases (but this was 10 years ago, and I cant remember whether I've had breakfast or not this morning).

I tried it in 45 ACP just to see what happened. It went bang.

If I remember correctly, the level of resistance through the carbide dies was higher so I lubed the steel cases (but this was 10 years ago, and I cant remember whether I've had breakfast or not this morning).

Ya, maybe steel cases aren't good for progressive presses ?

Do many people reload steel case?
It's not a recommended practice, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
I've reloaded and fired off 7.62x39mm, 8mm Mauser (Romanian steel-case), .45 Auto and aluminum 9mm, .40 S&W and 10mm Auto.
Those with berdan primers are pretty much useless unless you have berdan primers. I don't intend to machine berdan cases to fit a boxer or shot shell primer (with super glue, shims or other methods).
Steel is great for magnet recovery in the grass or for ranges/matches where you can't reclaim your brass. With the availability of boxer-primed brass, I suppose you could ask why bother.
The .45 Auto is a relatively low pressure round, so I doubt you'll ever rupture a steel case.
I've never had any press/die issues with steel or aluminum cases. In fact, I gave up after 9 reloads in 9x19mm. Primer pockets are the weak point in my experience; they loosen over multiple reloads.
Heck, factory brass can waste on first firing...see older Remington loads below.

5j3sBNMm.jpg

Attachments

• Al9mm.jpg
    Al9mm.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 5
  • .45Steel.jpg
    .45Steel.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 5
Damn. Usually stop looking over the weekend figuring nothing would change. Guess I was wrong.
that stock was there apparently at 2:55am. at 7:05am there was nothing in stock in there - as i wake up relatively early.
so whoever it was - apparently all got sold out in the middle of the night. go figure.

that stock was there apparently at 2:55am. at 7:05am there was nothing in stock in there - as i wake up relatively early.
so whoever it was - apparently all got sold out in the middle of the night. go figure.
Yeah, I saw the email around 8am and it was gone already. And i got excited when I saw it was $464/case until I realized that was for a case of 750. Hard pass.

Yeah, I saw the email around 8am and it was gone already. And i got excited when I saw it was $464/case until I realized that was for a case of 750. Hard pass.
yeah, a 62cpr is not a bad price right now. well, it is what it is, very annoying stuff indeed.

It’s the going rate, no doubt. I have enough that I’m not buying at that price. Keeping an eye out for friends mostly since I’m the one w the Prime membership
Yea, just keeping an eye out for people that still need to stock up. Too pricey for me personally. TS is a crapshoot due to the bots, so this might be the best option for some people.

Still better than the 80-90 cpr that some LGS are selling at, especially if they're an hour drive away...

You know things have reached critical mass when someone posts Blazer 9mm in the Classifieds for $1/rd and not a single person replies with a laughing emoji!
I’d like to know if these sellers actually shoot?? Or do they just have a cache of ammo that will last them for many years??

I’d like to know if these sellers actually shoot?? Or do they just have a cache of ammo that will last them for many years??
I've just assumed they don't actively go shoot, and they've just bought a box here and there and see an opportunity to make a quick buck

Except Reptile who probably has a huge stash

SmartSelect_20210118-085515_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yea, just keeping an eye out for people that still need to stock up. Too pricey for me personally. TS is a crapshoot due to the bots, so this might be the best option for some people.

Still better than the 80-90 cpr that some LGS are selling at, especially if they're an hour drive away...
I sent them an email this weekend about the bots... interested to see what they have to say.

Back
Top Bottom