Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Their site is excellent? It can't handle the traffic - it won't even load for me. 5 minutes ago I could load the homepage and see it had 9, but it wouldn't refresh. Left and came back and now it won't load at all.

I’ve had no issues reloading obsessively or processing orders once something comes in stock. That’s pretty good considering the volume they’re dealing with. Would be interesting to see their traffic numbers though.

The worst you can say about them is that they don’t have a captcha to make sure it’s only humans running through checkout but it’s their product and I can’t fault them for wanting to just get it all out the door without deciding who deserves what.

It’s good to see something trickling in, even if the prices are absurd. The question is not only when will the ammo supply become somewhat normal again, but when will reasonable prices be back?

My fear is what’s coming. With years of back orders pent up, a new administration, and possibly more unrest, I’m trying to stay optimistic. However, my realist side tells me that the supply chain is more likely to experience further disruption before it settles back down. This my first shortage/election cycle as a gun owner so I don’t have any experience to guide me, though all accounts appear to point to this being worse than Sandy Hook/Obama and it took 2+ years for markets to stabilize after that. I’d really love for someone to tell me I am, and prove me wrong, I would absolutely love to be wrong, but I have to plan for me (more like those who I’ve listened to) being right. 😕

Their site is excellent? It can't handle the traffic - it won't even load for me. 5 minutes ago I could load the homepage and see it had 9, but it wouldn't refresh. Left and came back and now it won't load at all.
It goes down when items get in stock and bots swarm hammers product pages. Then it gets out of stock and opens fine again.
I just saw it today - posted earlier- I caught the exact moment when stock appeared, saw the delay as I clicked to add to cart, it waited, clocking, then got into cart showing item in cart, I clicked checkout and there it said item in cart is not valid and product page went to no stock.
shitty site in my opinion and a waste of time.
My internet has nothing to do with page response speed, I am on gigabit Fios.

It goes down when items get in stock and bots swarm hammers product pages. Then it gets out of stock and opens fine again.
I just saw it today - posted earlier- I caught the exact moment when stock appeared, saw the delay as I clicked to add to cart, it waited, clocking, then got into cart showing item in cart, I clicked checkout and there it said item in cart is not valid and product page went to no stock.
If they don’t fix the bot problem, there will be zero Prime members.

Site works fine when there's nothing to buy. Site is unusable when anything is in stock. [laugh] [sad]

They are not 'being taken from the cart.'

Many people assume that an item being in the cart 'reserves it', or pulls it from stock. It does not, generally.

Fact of the matter is, somebody bought it before you. That is all. It may have been a bot (going through the checkout process faster than you can type), but nothing is being 'taken'.
This

Holy crap. Now we’re up to 20 cpr plus tax on mini mags!?

I never imagined prices would get this crazy. I remember being embarrassed that I paid $0.11 cpr for 22 just before the 2016 election. $0.07 cpr was my personal line in the sand for 22 during the previous panics.

To think, I bought a “case” (500 rds.) of Stingers for sub .13/rd and was paying far too much at $16.55 for a box of 50 9mm in July.
Hindsight and blah blah blah
FML

Edit- If mini-mags are at .19-.20cpr, what are we looking at for Stingers???

They are not 'being taken from the cart.'

Many people assume that an item being in the cart 'reserves it', or pulls it from stock. It does not, generally.

Fact of the matter is, somebody bought it before you. That is all. It may have been a bot (going through the checkout process faster than you can type), but nothing is being 'taken'.

What you have said is true, but the situation is also a bit more nuanced.

I know someone who does web design for an online retailer. They have updated their system so that putting an item in your cart does reserve the item for a short period. They have implemented this method due to complaints about very poor customer experience with limited stock items.

I think this issue is known to anyone who is doing online retail at significant scale. In my friend's case, the reserve time was configurable, and they experimented with timing to provide usability without allowing the reserve to be abused.

My Prime comes up for renewal in 2 weeks and I was thinking of letting it go. However, I was able to score 550 rounds of 9mm today (not my preferred grain, but, it still shoots) and 100 rounds of .223 Remington (down from the 200 rounds that were in my cart when I pressed "Confirm Order", so I must have picked up the last 5). I pressed "Confirm, got 2 minutes of hanging, followed by the receipt popping up. You have to let it run.

There's an 8% price break for prime. That's breakeven at $1250 of ammo even without the free shipping. Not hard to get there at these prices. OTOH, I have a fair stock in hand at the moment.

The new flag that there's ammo in stock seems to be the website slowdown.

I was up in November. I renewed in early December with the expectation I would buy a few more cases and most certainly it was worth it just for those alone. From now on I’ll be happy to do what most gun owners have done over the years. Buy one box each visit. Right to my door.

Back
Top Bottom